Why do pop musicians lose inspiration with the years?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:09 pm

i dont really remember frank sinatra writing any good songs, i remember him being a douche, but not writing songs.
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:21 pm

Is the word "douche" coming back into vogue or is just a coincidence that it suddenly seems to be hotter'n hell at message boards? I proudly knew and used the word in about third grade.

I predict that this thread is going to last for 2.5 more weeks as we all debate the merits of the Rolling Uglies, Tom Petty, Ol' Blue Eyes, etc.

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:31 pm

Some artists are gifted with an audience that expects them to take chances. Look at at Clapton, Page and Beck. Clapton has gotten very comfortable and very predictable - his audience does not seem to mind. Jimmy Page has had a spotty career after Zeppelin but Jeff Beck has only gotten better. Of course, Beck has the smallest audience but they get to hear him break new ground and appreciate his adventurousness. i think his mansion is a bit smaller than the other guys.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:01 pm

How about BOB POLLARD? I think he was 37 before he quit his day job.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

alexxxchange
audio school graduate

Post by alexxxchange » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:40 pm

Why do pop musicians lose inspiration with the years?
I don't know but, I bet it's the same reason as why people on this message board hate on reggaeton.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=29346
armani xxx exchange
bigdada recordings / spankrock
http://www.spankrock.net

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:19 pm

reason a) inspiration comes from passion, passion comes from the hungry...
reason b)people (fans) are emotional vampires and they sucked the creative life blood from artists when the artist is dry they are left to rot.
reason c)they ar creating music that is more complex nowdays therefore it takes more complex ears to appreciate on a level equal to thier "early works"
reason d) they sold out dude
reason e)they created the wheel and it got them famous, so they keep trying the invent the wheel... while everyone else is on to inventing ipods.

art is like science, where there are breakthroughs and discoveries. one person doesnt cure polio, aids, mumps, and cancer. they get one. that's all the Fates allow.

...or not

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:22 pm

hauser gabone wrote:i dont really remember frank sinatra writing any good songs, i remember him being a douche, but not writing songs.
I'm a Sinatra fan. What's with Frank being a douche? Not that I know that he wasn't, I'm just curious. He was a performer, not a songwriter, as has been said.

How about Elvis Costello and Neil Young? Those guys have some years under their belts. I guess they are not all that pop, in the narrow sense.

PC
I don't know karate but I know ka-razy!

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:58 pm

sinatra called glenn campbell a "fag"

glenn was playing guitar for frank during the 50s or something, he called him a fag....i just think he's a douche though...
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:18 am

there music is not "pop"ular anymore. but when unpolar acts do music they seem to stay consitant, Frank Zappa for example, 53 albums and they are still finding stuff in the vaults

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:13 am

I think Elvis Costello is the epitome of pop and I also think he is the perfect example of a creative musician aging gracefully.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:15 am

Tatertot wrote:I think Elvis Costello is the epitome of pop and I also think he is the perfect example of a creative musician aging gracefully.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:10 am

hauser gabone wrote:i dont really remember frank sinatra writing any good songs, i remember him being a douche, but not writing songs.
i bet you wouldn't have the balls to say that to his face. He'd kick your ass into next week :roll:

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:28 am

curtiswyant wrote:
i bet you wouldn't have the balls to say that to his face. He'd kick your ass into next week :roll:
He has chunks of guys like you in his stool!

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:09 pm

I've had a theory about 1974 for a long time.

Think of the people who were great before 1974 but sucked during and after that year:

Paul McCartney
Steve Winwood
David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Grahm Nash (they might have expired in 1973)
Stevie Wonder
Neil Diamond
Jackson Browne
Paul Simon
the list goes on and on!

What happened in 1974? Was that when everyone switched from psychedelic drugs to coke?

oh man I can't wait for the flames from this............

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:34 pm

SoftSupply wrote:everyone switched from psychedelic drugs to coke