Drumsound's January Sticky--Please read and comment-Mics...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:36 pm

I see your problem. And I realised very early on the potential for that to occur. but really after a couple of years at least you shouldn't have to be taking on projects that you don't want to do. Especially if you're any good. I guess you've just got to take control of your reality. You have to often go and find bands that you want to record.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Sounds like you've got it going pretty well for yourself Markee. Congrats! :) It is not easy in this market, and it is nice to hear that some of us are doing well.

I am busy, which is a good thing, but...

Unfortunately, my reality is not as nice as yours, and I take on projects that are not necessarily what I would consider my first choice, although I will never take on projects that I hate or don't want to do.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:15 pm

I've had a lot of meetings that I hope come through. A couple look good. I hope I can keep my momentum.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:46 am

We're almost halfway through February. Where's the February sticky?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:04 pm

Later tonight or tomorrow...

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:42 am

Neat thread.

For me I would say that I focus on placement a lot more than mic selection. I dont have a ton of mics (maybe 10-12 different ones) and most of the sessions i have done have been for friends with little or no compensation involved so ive had more time to experiment.

The thing that has helped me as ive gained more practice is to keep in mind that mic placement isnt just a crapshoot. There are scientific principles that underlie the practical results different positions will generate (proximity effect, use of different pickup patterns, the general behavior of sound waves in certain types of room, etc.) and we should use this knowledge to guide us.

But I think it would probably benefit me to worry a little more about mic choice. for a while now ive tended to just go with the 414 on vocals and it usually sounds decent so i record with it without trying anything else. But I recently fooled around with my MXl 67 or whatever its called, and it sounded pretty sweet! the last few sessions ive used it for lead vocals with promising results.