Favorite rooms with a Neve console...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:19 pm

Whats a good room in SF with great outboard?

I am going to track something at Tiny Telephone, but i may need to mix elsewhere unless I find a good rental place there....

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:10 pm

awesome, joel! i love that place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:00 am

www.radiostarstudios.com

I recorded drums on a record there, and it turned out pretty sweet. Not super fancy, but the vibe was really cool, and it was all tucked back in an old logging town.
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

mdulation
audio school

Post by mdulation » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:29 am

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Sounden Studios
www.sounden.com

I am biased towards it, of course, but this is one of the nicest sounding rooms in the US, EASILY. The Neve is an 8026 with 24 Wunder modules across the input side. It once belonged to Dan Alexander, Kevin Gliber (Toy Matin?e), and a few other people who I can't recall. Its been fairly well modified (all for the better) and man, this thing is a tone monster. Its inspiring to hear it! :shock:

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:49 am

joel hamilton wrote:Whats a good room in SF with great outboard?

I am going to track something at Tiny Telephone, but i may need to mix elsewhere unless I find a good rental place there....
Hi Joel, there is SF Soundworks in the Loin. They have a nice SSL room with enough outboard to get a mix.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:05 pm

dokushoka wrote:

Hi Joel, there is SF Soundworks in the Loin. They have a nice SSL room with enough outboard to get a mix.
Do you know of a neve room with good outboard? in SF?

I would prefer something like an 80 series, 32 inputs minimum. (with the 'jukebox' is fine, I dont need EQ on all the channels).
Somewhere with a 33609 and a few tube compressors preferrably... I need to post this in HOOKUPS I think...

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
dokushoka wrote:

I would prefer something like an 80 series, 32 inputs minimum. (with the 'jukebox' is fine, I dont need EQ on all the channels).
Somewhere with a 33609 and a few tube compressors preferrably... I need to post this in HOOKUPS I think...
Toast (Coast Recorders) might still be around.
Nice Neve room.
Worth looking into.
I haven't been there in a long while.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:17 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
dokushoka wrote:

Doh. Sorry, I didn't understand that you were looking for a Neve to mix on after tracking at Tiny. I don't know what the status of Hyde St. is. I know their building is being bought, but you might try them.

http://www.hydestreet.com/studio.html