Guitar Tone

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:01 pm

Whoah - Porfessor T. Are you the Porfessor's brother??
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:11 pm

Nope- just my band-- "The Professors" and I'm Todd. I thought about changing it, but decided nobody would confuse my 2-bit rantings with his good advice.

http://www.theprofessorslounge.com

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Silverjet89 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:25 pm

1967, sorry, my bad for the typo. I don't care what your book says. I owned [and played through] a 1967 Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET head and MATCHING half stack loaded with 4x10's for 5 years.

The Lead 100 you're speaking of that's made in the 80's is the model 3210. Different animal, amigo. And MOSFET was experimental through the 50's until the mid 60's when surface problems were finally resolved. By '68 MOSFET was being used more in commercial circuits.

Here's a picture of a '67 Lead 100 MOSFET in all it's glory:
http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/invent ... ?id=271015

I'm not trying to argue here; just setting the record straight.
Sorry, I'm not trying to argue either.
I just thought you'd like to know.
The picture you posted is an '80s model. You can beleive it or not but if you do some research you'll find I am correct. They only made the MOSFET amps from 1984 - 1991.

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:13 am

Silverjet89 wrote:
1967, sorry, my bad for the typo. I don't care what your book says. I owned [and played through] a 1967 Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET head and MATCHING half stack loaded with 4x10's for 5 years.

The Lead 100 you're speaking of that's made in the 80's is the model 3210. Different animal, amigo. And MOSFET was experimental through the 50's until the mid 60's when surface problems were finally resolved. By '68 MOSFET was being used more in commercial circuits.

Here's a picture of a '67 Lead 100 MOSFET in all it's glory:
http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/invent ... ?id=271015

I'm not trying to argue here; just setting the record straight.
Sorry, I'm not trying to argue either.
I just thought you'd like to know.
The picture you posted is an '80s model. You can beleive it or not but if you do some research you'll find I am correct. They only made the MOSFET amps from 1984 - 1991.
yeah, i hate to say it, but i think Silverjet is correct. First off, a '67 would NEVER have a plastic input jack, secondly, there is a little push-button on the front of the amp, above the two knobs on the very right, that just doesn't look vintage.....but if it sounds cool, it is cool.
another metal guitar tip is to put a fan in front of you while you play, so it blows your stupid long hair around like the solo is BLOWING YOU AWAY because you're a fucking tool.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:44 pm

Perhaps I'm wrong then. I always thought the head was matched with the cab, which read 1964 or 1967 on the backplate (at the bottom?) The rig had incredible tone. Anyway, If I'm wrong then I humbly apologize to everyone for the confusion.

The head definitely puts out extremely useable tone though and is a nice little 100 watt Marshall powerhouse. Fat, muddy, ballsy, and super crunchy. Classic.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:54 pm

the matching cab for the 3210 mosfet head was model 1965

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

mystery solved

marshall's kinda retarded with model numbers that are close to production years

uk03878
ass engineer

Post by uk03878 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:18 am

KennyLusk wrote:Perhaps I'm wrong then. I always thought the head was matched with the cab, which read 1964 or 1967 on the backplate (at the bottom?) .
Thank goodness for that - I have a 2550 head and a 1960 cab - the amp was made way into the future and the cab was 5 years old before I was born - and I bought it new
No wonder the shop owner looked dodgy

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Silverjet89 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:24 pm

Thank goodness for that - I have a 2550 head and a 1960 cab - the amp was made way into the future and the cab was 5 years old before I was born - and I bought it new
Good one! :lol:
I think Marshall used model numbers that look like year numbers just to screw with everybody. They use model numbers like 1959, 1960, 1983, etc. and it confuses a lot of people. I know it threw me before I knew better.

I hope I didn't come across like Mr. Know-it all in my earlier post. When I was younger I got taken a few times because I didn't know much about gear so I try to get the correct information out there whenever I can.

I learned a lot about guitars and amps by working in a repair shop and by reading everything I could get my hands on in the search for great guitar tone. Now I have to learn more about recording gear.

Kirk

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:50 am

when i saw them on the ugly organ tours tim used a bizarre looking gibson with humbuckers through a silverfaced twin and a pro co rat. guitar opposite him used a tele and a marshall i beeeelieve,

i really cant rememberverywell.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:56 am

ProfessorT broke the mystery then. Thanks professor. I feel duped though. Thought I was playing a coveted marshall rig, oh well. Now I don't feel so bad about trading it in for a Kustom 200 head with matching 3x15 cab - all black tuck and roll. Played a tele through it. Lots of sparkle, heavy balls, not alot of lower mids. Very loud. The band hated me :twisted:
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:57 pm

Yeah, some of the Cursive stuff is hard to define because so much of it on that album is doubled with the chelli.

LOTS of straight up fuzz though. If you only have o.d or dist. pedals, I'd say get a Rat or a Big Muff or (if you're a big spender, a Keeley) to get near that if you don't have one.

**quick note for the others, I sell Marshall parts, and there's virturally NOTHING available for the MOSFET amps part-wise, so keep that in mind before you buy one!
off somewhere listening.