your (studio's) definitive smell

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thesimulacre
takin' a dinner break

Post by thesimulacre » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:33 pm

Trodden, you're like Johnny-on-the-Spot with the mom jokes. The guys that came over today asked if I had cats... That has to be the worst smell I can even think of... and I burned incence all day... not cats!

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:59 pm

My place pretty much smells like weed and central heating that's not been on for a while at the moment.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:14 pm

Nag Champas incense. A friend told me that this was the only kind to get for a studio, and after burning one stick the smell now seems to be a permanent part of the olfactory experience in the room.

Cheers,
--
Don

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:45 pm

Nag Champion, weed, busch light, milaukees best, cigarette butts, some kind of sweet strange burning smell, old gear, new carpet (not fer long), smelly dudes who need to have more than one change of clothes, did I mention my space doubles as a rehearsal studio??? Glue, saw dust, metal shop, paint, and whatever else they do next door, Spanky spices

My place smells great. Thank god I have lotsa fans and an overhead door to open up.
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:29 am

very funny thread, y'all. my place smells like old bricks, burnt dust, thai food and computers- tho that last one's pretty subtle. club smoke from vintage tolex & grillecloth. sometimes japanese cedar incense (but very little- that shit's really strong) when dogs and/or people are extra pungent.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:33 am

Nag champa, green champa and beer. The catbox is in the garage and sometimes if one of the cats drops a fresh stinky one it will waft down. That's pretty rare though.

My wife put mothballs under our patio to get rid of a chipmunk infestation. I had many weeks of mothball smell.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:42 am

Burlap, wood, weed and the funky smell of a 50 year old former garage.

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:15 pm

cgarges wrote:My favorite studio smells were at the recently-closed Jay Howard Production Audio,
When did they close, their website is still up....

BTW, my place usually smells like blunts, stale beer, and sometimes homeless people's piss, depending on if they piss in the alley or in front of the studio on central ave.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:49 pm

Rob Stevens wrote:When did they close, their website is still up....
June 30th.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:20 pm

Rigsby wrote:My place pretty much smells like weed and central heating that's not been on for a while at the moment.
I would expect that from a musician!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:09 am

trodden wrote:
Toolshed of Death wrote:my room gets the smell that a lot of old electronics have..you know exactly what I'm talking about if you have experienced it..like the smell inside the electronics bays of an old Ampex deck..I wonder what the hell that is?

It really smells great though..

my place smells like that and crack and PCP..
tell your mom she's got to crash somewhere else then.
well I never!

mr. nick
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mr. nick » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:18 am

i was listening to NPR and the were broadcasting the docking space stations. i believe the astronaut was of the french type, and tryig to describe the interior of the station for the listening audience. his description was that it has a technical smell that you get used to after 5 minutes. i have since reffered to my BO as technical. my control room smells technical, has a hint of ionized air, and an accent of spring mist plug in. the hall smells like cigs mostly, the rest of the place smells like a practice space most of the time, the bathroom varies...

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:00 am

stale malt liquor

gregnrom
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregnrom » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:51 pm

Money!

(High Fives backwards, and over the head)
Greg Norman
www.electricalaudio.com
Music I've recorded
www.normaphone.com
me me me me me

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:25 am

I'm below ground, so mostly mildew. I got an airwick vanilla oil plug in thing a few years ago. That smell got into the rugs and into the foamy stuff on the walls. Being in an unvetilated space, it's taken a lot time to get that stale vanilla, mixed-with-mildew and tobacco smell out. I sold some mics off to someone on here a few months ago, I'm pretty sure they got a good wiff of that, being that the mics lived there for years (the foam lined cases are what smelled, the mics were ok) . The only "fresh" air that gets into the space is from the hallway when I open the door, and from the unused old boiler pipe that ends down in my space. (can hear guys in the real studio 2 floors above through that pipe) uggh. Sound like a nightmare huh? I have an air purifier which helps immensely, I just have to keep the filters changed. And I alternate the ionization on one week and of the next, I don't know how that helps, but it seems to! go figure. I also spray some oust every once in a while, that seems to help with the mildew smell.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure