big drum sound... your advice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:14 pm

jaguarundi wrote: i tried messing with the BF76 earlier and didn't quite figure it out, how do you go about setting the input vs. output on it? and, i assume the ratio buttons work like compressor ratio's but, i wasn't having a whole lot of success with it, i got pretty decent results with the PT stereo comp/limiter...
'input' on the BF76 is like a threshold control on a more conventional comp. The difference with the original 1176 was that it had a fixed threshold, so in order to increase/decrease the level of the threshold, you'd have to effectively increase/decrease the input level going into the compressor's circuit. The output knob would be called 'make-up gain' on more conventional compressors, as it simply brings the gain up or down after the compressor circuit on the way to the output. As said above, you can select a ratio from one of the four buttons, or hold shift and click them for the classic 1176 'all buttons on' mode, which is great for smashing room tracks.
so if i'm understanding parallel compression right, the way you're explaining it...you send everything you want; which would be...everything: kick, hat, snr, toms + oH's? ; to a stereo bus, create sends, adjust the sends how you like and bring up the aux track for weight in the mix how you like...
Bingo... Try it and see. Do make sure that your sends are panned same as the tracks, though, so that you don't get any weird stereo image stuff going on.
if you're room track is on 2 tracks, L + R, wouldn't it make sense as far as this goes to move it to a stereo track for sake of simplicity with plug ins? or is what you're saying, which i think it is, to do basically the same thing with parallel compression on the room track as in, send it to another stereo bus? so basically you'd have all other drums on one stereo bus and the rooms on another... i could see how you might want to use the other stereo busses for parallel compression on vox and instruments too...very tempting.
I'd assumed your OH and room tracks were already stereo tracks. If they aren't already, make them stereo tracks and try inserting a compressor on the stereo room track to get some more room sound out of it as described above.

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:03 am

on second attempt, after a few hours of messing around i achieved epically satisfying results smashing my room tracks with the BF76. i really like the sound of the compressor, and given our limited resources right now, it works great for what we're going for...

Bingo... Try it and see. Do make sure that your sends are panned same as the tracks, though, so that you don't get any weird stereo image stuff going on.
i noticed this...so what happens when you're trying to parallel compress tracks with embedded panning automation... is that just a bad idea because there's no way around the stereo imaging problem; there's no way to sync the automation on the send to the track's? the drums are fine, but the guitars and other instruments have some pan stuff. (also what about parallel compressing tracks with stereo fx like dly's?)

in general, is there a good protocol to go by when combining instruments in parallel compression busses, i.e. would you put the guitars with basses, or not...keys with vox, vox alone, what do you guys do?

in any case, i'm super stoked for the drum sounds so far, i walked out of the studio beaming and my buddy told me i looked like i just got laid : ) ha

-ac

against88
takin' a dinner break

Post by against88 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:39 pm

well, before you use parallel compression on everything... you should figure out if you need it. i'm sure there are a lot of people on here who don't typically use a comp on guitars, or who don't use parallel compression on them at least.

as for the panning automation. i'm not infront of it, but if you have your bus set up as a stereo send, won't the panning follow through to the stereo aux input?

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:28 am

I think super dry drums sound big. Like Back in Black or something.
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:53 am

yardleyone wrote:I think super dry drums sound big. Like Back in Black or something.
Those drums are not as super dry as you think...

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:33 am

Artifex wrote:Get big drums.
"..." :]

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:05 pm

drumsound wrote:Those drums are not as super dry as you think...
No kidding!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

canoe
audio school graduate

Post by canoe » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Two things: The instrument, the room.
my home studio is more indie than your home studio. | myspace