Pedal suggestion, please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:11 am

space echo, or a memory man... memory man you can add a bit of modulation to the sound to thicken it in a chorusey way, without the syyrupy 'chorus pedal' sound... space echo, well, is just about the single best invention ever.

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 am

mjau wrote:A ZVex SHO might be the ticket...adds some body to the sound, even if you don't use it to boost volume.
I like to DI my Wurli through one of those--it works great.

You might also try a compressor.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:25 am

inverseroom wrote:
mjau wrote:A ZVex SHO might be the ticket...adds some body to the sound, even if you don't use it to boost volume.
I like to DI my Wurli through one of those--it works great.

You might also try a compressor.
Yeah man, I like the SHO on everything. I'd probably try to stuff salmon pate through it before it hits the dinner plate if my wife gave me the ok.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:33 am

I've struggled with the Rhodes for years. The output of the stage model is quiet compaired to the average guitar so you usually have to turn your amp way up and often don't get that pre-amp distortion that can sound so nice from a tube amp. I've gone through a million different pedels trying to find the right solution. The tube screamer and lots of other distortion pedals can kill the lows. The best pedal I've found so far is the MXR Micro Amp. It's just clean gain with no distortion or tone controls. It gives you enough signal that your tube amp can do what it does best.
I also use a tremelo pedal for some songs.

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:12 am

+1 - I use mine whenever I want something a little thicker sounding.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:18 am

rydberg wrote:
a Crowther Hotcake set for a clean boost will also work nicely.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am

RefD wrote:
rydberg wrote:
Good luck finding one though!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:24 am

inverseroom wrote:
RefD wrote:
rydberg wrote:
Good luck finding one though!
true enough, you can't exactly walk into Git Center and buy one on sale.

there's one on my pedalboard, however.

i think pedalGeek has them, too.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Kindly Killer
gettin' sounds

Post by Kindly Killer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:34 am

mc437 wrote:I like the delay suggestion, so we'll go try out some delay pedals. I used to have a dynacomp too, which I liked on guitar, so maybe I'll look for another one of those. I'll need to just go to the music store and try out pedals and see what sounds good.
Also I am surprised at all the chorus suggestions. I almost never like the sound of chorus, but perhaps it will find its usefulness with the Rhodes...
If you are looking for a good basic guitar delay and a first rate analog chorus in one pedal, the Visual Sound H2O is a great value. It will be a collectible vintage pedal in 20 years.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Re: Pedal suggestion, please

Post by Harry » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:58 am

mc437 wrote:My wife and I have a 2-piece rock/pop band. She plays rhodes and sings, and I play drums and sing. I am wanting to buy a pedal for the rhodes that will make it sound bigger/fuller on certain parts. Hard to explain what I mean, but something that will give it more thickness and drive. Any suggestions?

A phase 90 / rhodes is a classic combo
and they're easy to find and even return if it doesn't fit the bill

mc437
pushin' record

Post by mc437 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Just got back from the music store, where I tried a Phase 90 and a Boss delay pedal. I didn't like either one-the Phase 90 made it sound too Steeley Dan-esque (which is not a bad sound, just not our band's sound), and the delay just didn't do it for me. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a chorus to try out.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:17 pm

Have you already gone down the road of adjusting the Rhodes for a thicker sound? The distance and offset of the tines from the pickups makes a BIG difference in the Rhodes sound, and you can take a Rhodes that has that chimey 80's love theme sound and make it almost sound like a Whurlie with a thick low-mid funky kinda Ray-Charles-in-"The Blues Brothers" kinda sound.

Check this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvhMvS1tZS8

Todd Wilcox

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:35 pm

a whole nother direction, but could accomodate a much fuller sound when needed:

a second amp used with a delay, phase, and/or possibly some overdrive. the effect of adding a second amp with a phase pedal on it is impossibly cool sounding, and in my experiments with it, makes everything sound way bigger and wider.

more dollars tho: amp, good a/b pedal, plus the effects you want to use...

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:25 pm

Maybe some kind of octave divider. Boss has one where you can add either a lower, higher, or both octaves to the sound. I have a Digitech Whammy II pedal which is awesome for fattening up guitars but it doesn't handle polyphony too well (in a traditional sense...it sounds really cool and unstable, and is definitely a sound used on rock records like Radiohead and Tool). Maybe the Boss one or something else works better in that sense, I don't know.

But yeah, adding that lower and upper octave to the sound will fatten it for sure....

mc437
pushin' record

Post by mc437 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:16 pm

At rehearsal tonight we just drove the amp a little harder, used the boss overdrive pedal at times, and the tremolo and we were pretty happy with the sound. I think we might be getting close to what I'm looking for, and I think a clean boost will do it...I don't want to have to put the amp nearly all the way up all the time.