level drop when using ada8000??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:12 pm

According to the manual, each channel has a gain knob, right? You say you have the knob set to 0, right? The gain range for line input is -10 to +40, so if you have the knob set to zero, the gain is -10. You need to set that gain knob for the level you want.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:18 pm

My understanding is that the line input goes thru the same mic amp anyway, so there
really is no avoiding that amplifier. I never even thought about it with mine. Maybe
that makes me dumb... I just use my mic preamps as usual, and turn the knob on
the ADA8000 'till I get what I want. Done.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: level drop when using ada8000??

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:31 pm

noeqplease wrote:Oh sorry... I though you were using an APOGEE AD8000.

Now THAT would sound good with the great preamps you are using. But, now that I realize my mistake, I realize your mistake.

Cheers
was that really necessary?

raw-tracks
takin' a dinner break

Post by raw-tracks » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:40 pm

Taking a quick glance at the manual: Use the 1/4" in on the front for your line level in. It looks like you'll need to turn the gain knob up to 9 o'clock, where it's labeled "+4".

That should do it.
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills!
Mix Our Tracks in Your DAW!
www.Raw-Tracks.com

watergunfight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by watergunfight » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:25 pm

hm, even at the "+4" mark its still 5 db quieter but oh well. it just seemed from my recollection that every post i read about these things everyone was saying they ran the ADA turned down all the way when using external pres to avoid as much coloration as possible from the ADA pres.

raw-tracks
takin' a dinner break

Post by raw-tracks » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:40 pm

It could be the the digital reference level on the ADA8000. I don't know offhand what "+4" signal on the analog input of the ADA8000 translates to in dBfs. I know that Digi's onboard A?D converters reference a "+4" signal to -14dBfs on the digital side. Could be that the Behringer's reference level is -18 or -20 dBfs. That might account for the differences.
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills!
Mix Our Tracks in Your DAW!
www.Raw-Tracks.com

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:15 am

Have you run a tone at +4dBU into the thing yet?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:12 am

watergunfight wrote:hm, even at the "+4" mark its still 5 db quieter but oh well. it just seemed from my recollection that every post i read about these things everyone was saying they ran the ADA turned down all the way when using external pres to avoid as much coloration as possible from the ADA pres.
looking at the front of the thing it looks like there is no avioding the gain step since both the XLR mic and 1/4" line ins are controled by the same pot..

If you had a test oscillator you could feed the line ins a 1.228 Volt 1K sine tone and see where it lands when the knob is set at +4..if you want to track hotter you could simply trn up the knob a few notches..there is no meter on the 8000 so you will have to use the metering in the daw..the downside is that you can't see if the 8000 is in line with your DAW meters..it could be a little off..but should be similar in a decently made device..having the knob set to +4 with a +4 or 1.228V tone at 1k should be the spot that has the least "colouration"..but i wouldn't worry about it too much..should be a "clean" gain..

watergunfight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by watergunfight » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:10 am

Beauty&Wonder wrote:
watergunfight wrote:hm, even at the "+4" mark its still 5 db quieter but oh well. it just seemed from my recollection that every post i read about these things everyone was saying they ran the ADA turned down all the way when using external pres to avoid as much coloration as possible from the ADA pres.
looking at the front of the thing it looks like there is no avioding the gain step since both the XLR mic and 1/4" line ins are controled by the same pot..

If you had a test oscillator you could feed the line ins a 1.228 Volt 1K sine tone and see where it lands when the knob is set at +4..if you want to track hotter you could simply trn up the knob a few notches..there is no meter on the 8000 so you will have to use the metering in the daw..the downside is that you can't see if the 8000 is in line with your DAW meters..it could be a little off..but should be similar in a decently made device..having the knob set to +4 with a +4 or 1.228V tone at 1k should be the spot that has the least "colouration"..but i wouldn't worry about it too much..should be a "clean" gain..
excellent, thanks for clearing that up

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:40 am

and really for all intents and purposes tracking anyplace from not super low to full scale (as long as you have enough room for the dynamic range of your program) is fine..if you have extra head room you can just turn up the master or the tracks in the daw with no serious side effects..all ADC/DAC have different reactions and clipping points and of course their own sound..there really aren't any standards..so a good approach might be to just experiment with that gain knob till you find settings that make it sound best to you..