Tiny tube amps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:22 pm

Fender musicmaster's - easily mod-able, but pretty cool stock, too.

meldar produxshunz
gettin' sounds

Post by meldar produxshunz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 pm

old fender silverface champs can be cool. lots of records were made with them.
waaaaaaaam...doggy.
http://matthewmeldonguitar.com

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:05 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:There are TONS of old tiny amps floating around. Silvertones, Magnatones, and Alamos are some of my favorites, and they all go for pretty damn cheap even on ebay. I think my Alamo Titan is my favorite amp in the world. 12 watts
cool. what i liked about the bh amp is that it is 1watt. I have neighbors and have to worry about noise, otherwise, i'd keep my current amp (65 fender vibro champ/blackface). selling it on ebay if anyone is interested! okay, shameless promo.

keep some more recommendations coming...the quieter and dirtier the better. 1-6watt range with crunch.
Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in another castle.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Epiphone Valve Jr.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:39 pm

The Champs are pretty great....but there is a little 10 watt Ampeg amp one of my bandmates has that is crystal clear but gets crunchy around 7 or so with the tone knobs cranked. It's early 70's like the one pictured here on the bottom right of the 1969 tab. Can't find a picture anywhere else. I think he got it for pretty cheap too...he couldn't remember. :D

EDIT: it's a model g-10 and it's not tube....its solid. oops.
Last edited by ott0bot on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jettison
gettin' sounds

Post by Jettison » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am

I just built a Guytronix Gilmore Jr. 1/2 watt guitar amp ($350). It's really great sounding. Gets distorted at around 7 o'clock and melts vintage style when cranked. It never even comes close to being loud. Perfect for recording anytime, especially when you want or need to be quiet. A single 12ax7 drives one 6n1p. Volume and tone only. Plus, as a kit you can substitute higher end parts if you so choose. I replaced the stock filter caps with beefier Sprague Atom caps, paper/oil tone caps, carbon comp resitors, alessandro pots. Sounds awesome. "V" (Vox) and "M" (Marshall) mod instructions are free via email for customers. A $50 upgrade is available to make it a 2 watt. They also sell an 8 watter called the Ardmore along with books on amp building, pedals, cabs, etc. www.guytronix.com
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:23 pm

I have a champ that I love, but I also have a Blackstar HT-5 on order. Unfortunately it's been on back order for three months, but if I ever get it I will give you a review. I think it is around six watts and has two channels. The clips and reviews I have read sound more in the Marshal camp.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm

If you're on a budget, I'm diggin' my Heathkit Signal Tracer, as per this dude's suggestion.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslut ... r-amp.html
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Sat May 16, 2009 12:07 pm

getreel wrote:I've always wanted one of the Song Works amps like the Little Lanilei. They are awesome from what I hear.
this thing looks amazing

http://www.songworks.com/14watt.html

redshift108
audio school graduate

Post by redshift108 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:56 pm

I like the Zvex Nano, Peavey Mini Colossal and Egnater Rebel. And, Vox is coming out with a couple low wattage amps soon too.
Help me, I need more money to buy gear!

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat May 16, 2009 5:11 pm

I haven't had a chance to put it through it's full paces yet, but I finally got in the Blackstar HT-5 and I'm digging it. Feels like I'm playing a bigger amp and at reasonable volume. Definitely catches a Marshall vibe. I feel like I can get similar tones out of it to my JCM 800 with way less volume. I like the sound out of both channels and it contrasts my Champ nicely.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Sun May 17, 2009 8:30 pm

So I've been thinking about this some more, and doing some reading, and I think what I want is an amp that "breaks up" or "fuzzes out" as you turn the volume up rather than get louder. I don't want loud, I want a natural breaking of the tone. The champ I had used to do this, but in order to get it you'd have to go past 7 on the dial and I can't do that in an apartment. Any suggestions for something quiet that will do this? The little lanelie looks like the best option at this point...I am going to write them and ask if they can be customized to do what I just mentioned.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon May 18, 2009 6:11 am

Somebody let us know how that new Vox AC4 thing sounds

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Mon May 18, 2009 6:48 am

roscoenyc wrote:Somebody let us know how that new Vox AC4 thing sounds
here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnHgw1jK ... re=related

youtube has a lot of good demo videos. this vox sounds really great, imo.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon May 18, 2009 7:09 am

magritte wrote:So I've been thinking about this some more, and doing some reading, and I think what I want is an amp that "breaks up" or "fuzzes out" as you turn the volume up rather than get louder. I don't want loud, I want a natural breaking of the tone. The champ I had used to do this, but in order to get it you'd have to go past 7 on the dial and I can't do that in an apartment. Any suggestions for something quiet that will do this? The little lanelie looks like the best option at this point...I am going to write them and ask if they can be customized to do what I just mentioned.
Sounds like a signal tracer is the best thing for what you want. I've got a couple of those, and some of another kind which is just as good but with a different tone. They don't need any mods other than to replace the probe with a 1/4" jack. Of course, there are mods you can do, but they sound great as-is.

http://www.ubertar.com/creot/gonnagetcha.MP3
The lead guitar is a heathkit signal tracer, and the rhythm guitars are another kind of signal tracer.