mackie, behringer, word clock

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Stevil
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Stevil » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:17 am

jntracks wrote:i'm not ready to say it's all crap but, i'm feeling like as long as it's good enough to keep a steady clock that doesn't produce pops and clicks in recorded audio, you're good.
the consensus i get from reading a ton of info from all levels of expertise on multiple sites is that for a single device yer best off with the internal clock.
with multiple devices use the external to distribute the signal from the highest quality clock in the chain.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Stevil wrote:
jntracks wrote:i'm not ready to say it's all crap but, i'm feeling like as long as it's good enough to keep a steady clock that doesn't produce pops and clicks in recorded audio, you're good.
the consensus i get from reading a ton of info from all levels of expertise on multiple sites is that for a single device yer best off with the internal clock.
with multiple devices use the external to distribute the signal from the highest quality clock in the chain.
Exactly.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:58 am

well ya, the clocks have to be synced. otherwise you get pops and clicks and stuff in your audio when the samples between two pieces of gear don't line up. that's not what i'm debating.

what i'm not sure of is this notion of "higher quality" clocks affecting the sound of the final recording. how can the quality of a clock affect the sound of the audio? if it's making the right number of samples, and everything is synced to it.... i think i've never heard a clock that messed up. would i know when i heard it? i mean, if it was broken i'm sure i would hear studdering and probly pops and clicks like it was out of sync but...

i'm very skeptical of the concept. it sounds like marketing propaganda from people who want to sell expensive clock sources.
this goes around with "super high end audio cables" too.

here's an excerpt from www.skeptoid.com were brian dunning researches and explains the truth and myth about audio cable marketing in response to a listener.

<-------------------------------------->
Hi, my name is Mario and I'm a music student at Queens College in New York. I want to know if different or more expensive audio and guitar cables can actually make a difference in the tone of the instrument.

The short answer is no. There are cases where a really bad setup can cause noticeable problems, however. Using a ridiculously long run of cable, or unrealistically thin wire, can result in noticeably reduced or muted levels. Unshielded cables in a noisy electrical environment can produce hum or interference. Cables with cheap connectors on the ends can cut out if the contact is broken. Beyond obvious cases like that, any commercial cables produce sound quality just as good as any other, despite the claims made by manufacturers of high-end cables. Expensive cables may be more durable or better shielded, or better made and less likely to rust and degrade, but they can't produce better sound.

Conductive wire is characterized by its resistance, its capacitance and its inductance, and virtually any copper wire has capabilities that far exceed the electrically modest needs of professional audio. A thicker cable produces less resistance, but any common cable already has way less resistance than the audio requires. That would be like being more or less pregnant. As far as a specific subtlety produced in the audio, like variations in the tone of a guitar, no. This is not a capability that cable manufacturers can control. Yes, there are many articles available online that go into great detail discussing all kinds of subtle effects and different ways of coring or braiding the wire. It's over-the-top to a degree that's just goofy. Audio simply doesn't require fancy wiring.

<---------------------------------->
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:23 am

*creeps to edge, looks down rabbit hole*

A lot of people listen with their wallet and their eyes instead of their ears.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Stevil
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Stevil » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:38 am

Stevil wrote:i pulled the trigger on a Lucid GENx192...
i'll post again once i think i've wrapped my head around what happens with my setup.
so i spent the weekend rearranging my setup. pulled my speakers away from the wall, hooked the lucid up to my ada8000's, hung up some acoustic treatment in the front corners, still have some more to add & am adjusting to the new environment.

i am hearing a difference. adat sync sounds tighter, linear & more dense, word clock sync sounds more spacious, looser & 3dimensional. i'll have to spend some more time with it & stack some tracks to decide if i think it's better, worse or just different.