LOGIC 9!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:02 am

Indeed.

IF it's stable, L9 looks really amazing. Looks like they addressed all the editing issues I was having... and flex time looks really impressive.

I didn't think improving elastic time was that necessary, but it looks like apple did.

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:23 am

ChrisRimby wrote:Looks good to me. Here's to hoping it's not buggy.
Not buggy? That would be interesting, but would be a first IME.

There will be those who suddenly decide that they just can't go another day working as they did with the previous version, personally, I'd wait for their screaming and wailing to die down and a fairly stable version appears before adopting... Unless it's a hobby.

infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by infiniteposse » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:42 pm

For more info on L9 and how its working, there's a really constructive thread at Gearslutz.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... ssues.html

My personal experiences with the update have been good so far. All plugs working well and UAD2 is good, too. My current sessions come up perfectly.
Lee
www.mysterymachinestudio.com
??It doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters.? Neil Young

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:27 am

Just got my upgrade to LP9 yesterday and so far it's pretty awesome. Everything works as smoothly as in the demo videos, and I have yet to find any bugs.

Another nice thing... it doesn't overwrite your LP8 installation. Those of you reluctant to upgrade due to that shouldn't worry there.

I have yet to try opening a LP9 project in LP8... anyone tried this yet?
insert witty comment here...

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:45 am

woodhenge wrote:Just got my upgrade to LP9 yesterday and so far it's pretty awesome. Everything works as smoothly as in the demo videos, and I have yet to find any bugs.

Another nice thing... it doesn't overwrite your LP8 installation. Those of you reluctant to upgrade due to that shouldn't worry there.

More please. How different is it to you than Logic 8?

I'm running Express 8 on my 2.0ghz Intel iMac (3 gb RAM) and I'm having the occasional CPU overload. Strange, but I chalked it up to low latency settings on my buffer. I'm wondering if I could upgrade to Logic Pro or studio and still have good reliability. I don't have a lot of use for Mainstage or the surround sound stuff. Just trying to figure out if making this move makes sense for me.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:17 am

sad iron wrote:
woodhenge wrote:Just got my upgrade to LP9 yesterday and so far it's pretty awesome. Everything works as smoothly as in the demo videos, and I have yet to find any bugs.

More please. How different is it to you than Logic 8?

I'm running Express 8 on my 2.0ghz Intel iMac (3 gb RAM) and I'm having the occasional CPU overload. Strange, but I chalked it up to low latency settings on my buffer. I'm wondering if I could upgrade to Logic Pro or studio and still have good reliability. I don't have a lot of use for Mainstage or the surround sound stuff. Just trying to figure out if making this move makes sense for me.

Is Logic Express your main DAW?
I've got Logic Pro 8 on the same computer (same RAM) at home.
I use PT more but i've been throwing myself into the Logic learning thing.
I've never had any CPU overload.
I use their software instruments and stuff like EZ Drummer and Kontact 3.5
I'm excited about 9

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:45 am

roscoenyc wrote: Is Logic Express your main DAW?
I've got Logic Pro 8 on the same computer (same RAM) at home.
I use PT more but i've been throwing myself into the Logic learning thing.
I've never had any CPU overload.
I use their software instruments and stuff like EZ Drummer and Kontact 3.5
I'm excited about 9
Yeah, I use Express and that's it. Used to run DP, but went back to Logic a year or so ago. Express has all the same functionality and most of the plugs that I want/needed, so I went that route. If 9 is a lot better/improved in terms of functionality, I'll trade up to get the plugs and stuff I didn't get with express.

As for the overloads, I keep my buffer at 128 or 256 usually, which is I think the reason for them. Also happens when I'm running a lot of plugs, but again, not too often. I'm wondering if it should be happening at all though. I run Onyx pretty regularly, but maybe that's not cleaning out my system enough.

woodhenge
pushin' record

Post by woodhenge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:37 am

sad iron wrote: More please. How different is it to you than Logic 8?

If you're used to Logic 8, there's not a whole lot of difference outside of new features that were added. But those new features are worth the upgrade, IMHO.

My morning session consisted of mostly grid-editing drums and doing drum replacement, and I wouldn't trade the Flex tool for anything at this point! Grid editing drums with the flex tool ROCKS!!! It reminds me very much of how Melodyne Studio operates, minus the pitch correction. Except, LP9 will keep drum tracks in phase with each other when editing in a group... this is simply impossible in Melodyne.

The drum replacement in LP9 is the easiest way ever... super quick and simple. I used to fly a kick track into Melodyne Studio, edit out all the garbage, convert the track to MIDI, import the MIDI track into LP8, pull up NI Battery, search for the right sample, sweat a few minutes tweaking and nudging, and end up with a good track. Now, it's a piece of cake, and takes MUCH less time!

The pedalboard is way cool, too... I figured it would be!

As far as overloads go, I have never had that problem on either of my systems. My main rig is a quad-core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro w/ only 2 gigs of ram, and I generally run the buffer at 64. My other machine is a Core2Duo white MacBook, 2.0Ghz w/2 gigs of ram... this one I run the buffer @ 128. Both machines are rock-solid typically, unless I manage to do something stupid. I've had sessions on the Pro that were using 60-80 plug-ins without a hitch...

Mainstage was something I thought I would never use, but I use it a ton now... I havn't checked out version 2 yet, but I'm sure it'll be killer.

alkooloid
alignin' 24-trk

Post by alkooloid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 pm

Wow! You people are so civilized!
40 pages over at GS and most of it's a troll-a-thon.

Congratulations!
Don't believe everything you think.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:25 pm

woodhenge wrote:
sad iron wrote: More please. How different is it to you than Logic 8?

If you're used to Logic 8, there's not a whole lot of difference outside of new features that were added. But those new features are worth the upgrade, IMHO.

My morning session consisted of mostly grid-editing drums and doing drum replacement, and I wouldn't trade the Flex tool for anything at this point! Grid editing drums with the flex tool ROCKS!!! It reminds me very much of how Melodyne Studio operates, minus the pitch correction. Except, LP9 will keep drum tracks in phase with each other when editing in a group... this is simply impossible in Melodyne.

The drum replacement in LP9 is the easiest way ever... super quick and simple. I used to fly a kick track into Melodyne Studio, edit out all the garbage, convert the track to MIDI, import the MIDI track into LP8, pull up NI Battery, search for the right sample, sweat a few minutes tweaking and nudging, and end up with a good track. Now, it's a piece of cake, and takes MUCH less time!

The pedalboard is way cool, too... I figured it would be!

As far as overloads go, I have never had that problem on either of my systems. My main rig is a quad-core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro w/ only 2 gigs of ram, and I generally run the buffer at 64. My other machine is a Core2Duo white MacBook, 2.0Ghz w/2 gigs of ram... this one I run the buffer @ 128. Both machines are rock-solid typically, unless I manage to do something stupid. I've had sessions on the Pro that were using 60-80 plug-ins without a hitch...

Mainstage was something I thought I would never use, but I use it a ton now... I havn't checked out version 2 yet, but I'm sure it'll be killer.
Thanks for the info. That all definitely sounds good. I was thinking about upgrading before and maybe this is the perfect excuse.

I'm wondering now about the CPU overloads. Wondering, like, should they be happening and if not, what to do about them.

woodhenge
pushin' record

Post by woodhenge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:44 pm

sad iron wrote: I'm wondering now about the CPU overloads. Wondering, like, should they be happening and if not, what to do about them.
I used to run Logic on a G4 and I got overloads all the time! It didn't take much to cave in that system, really. If you use a lot of virtual instruments, they're more likely to cause the overloads vs. audio processing plugins. (this is not always the case, though... some audio plugins are CPU hogs too!)

The easiest workaround in Logic is to freeze the instrument tracks. Same with the audio tracks. Luckily, you can always unfreeze it if you need to work on it more. That'll get rid of the overloads for sure!

Hope this helps!

woodhenge
pushin' record

Post by woodhenge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:10 pm

FYI, one of the demo songs that comes with Logic Pro 9 has 233 (!?!?!?) plugins on it and STILL plays on my system... SICK!!!!

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:51 pm

woodhenge wrote:FYI, one of the demo songs that comes with Logic Pro 9 has 233 (!?!?!?) plugins on it and STILL plays on my system... SICK!!!!
I think I need to stop running other apps while I have Logic running. Always a big no no, I know, but when I first got the computer I got a little spoiled.

woodhenge
pushin' record

Post by woodhenge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:40 pm

sad iron wrote:
woodhenge wrote:FYI, one of the demo songs that comes with Logic Pro 9 has 233 (!?!?!?) plugins on it and STILL plays on my system... SICK!!!!
I think I need to stop running other apps while I have Logic running. Always a big no no, I know, but when I first got the computer I got a little spoiled.
Yeah... for audio, your main app should be all you run. I know it's tempting... Macs are USUALLY invincible, but in this case, it's best to err on the safe side. :)

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm a little annoyed that they aren't supporting the G5s any more. I know my box is a little old, but considering they sold me an audio prodution system that couldn't accurately draw a wave form and couldn't do sample accurate editing, I figure they still owe me a working version for my old box before I buy another one of their products to find that it, too, doesn't do what it's express purpose is.

Seriously. I could edit with both an accurate drawing of a waveform AND to the sample in 1996.

Next thing you know, you might be able to drag audio to a beat marker and have it snap to the correct position not 1/128th of a beat before or after.

The trolls are out!