Getting unwanted input; How to deal with it

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:47 am

I remember these kids that came in to the studio, I was subbing for our other engineer who couldn't make it until later that night. My coworker reassured that that I was just as skilled as him. But they never did work with me so they came to the conclusion that I've never done audio work I guess? I mean, they were trying to tell my how to use Pro Tools while I was doing the edits that needed to be done. It's like, why are you even in here if you know what you want to do?

There was this "producer" with them who had no idea about anything, and he was telling me everything that I needed to adjust while I was trying to listen and do my job. So I just said "hey, you wanna make adjustments on the SSL?" So he hops on and starts boosting frequencies like 15dB and other crazy shit, I don't even think he knew what he was turning. So I said "cool, just let me fine tune that" and I adjusted everything back to the way I had it and he was like "yeahhh man, there it is"

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Yeah, back seat drivers.

I just give them the wheel... and watch the session come to a screeching halt 15 minutes later.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.