Schmidlin FED+ compressor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:09 am

T-rex wrote:The look what I bought thread is not BS. I think it's funny to say you haven't read it since day one and completely dismiss it like a hundred.pages later. It's not a bunch of people showing off high dollar shit it's more like this thread, "hey check out this score!" It's like a community swap meet where people talk about the stuff they bought and why they bought it. Every few days I check it and I have been hipped to some cool stuff from that thread. This is the kind of shit that makes me visit this place less and negative aggressive behavior for no good reason.
Awwww.... sorry a little harsh criticism for a new poster accusing a long-time regular of spam advertising has hurt your feelings....

That thread is great, if you're into that. It's kind of a community-within-a-community. Great! I'm sure that the people active in that thread enjoy it quite a bit. But, I haven't got time or interest in keeping up with 177 pages of any thread. And, it circumvents what is already a pretty well organized forum structure, for what? Redundancy? I just think it's lame to suggest that this post belongs there. And, honestly, it would be way easier, and this board would appear way more active, if all of those "look what I bought" posts were separate topics in the Gear Talk forum. I understand that you're one of a handful of people who frequently mention that you're put off by the tone of this message board, and that you think that dwindling traffic might have something to do with people like me who aren't afraid to share contrary opinions. But, maybe it's got something to to with 177 pages of interesting topics, shoehorned into a redundant thread that most people don't have the time to follow? Hmmm.... If you really want to talk about what you bought and why you bought it, a 177 page thread where the actual item may be several pages previous to the discussion, is a horribly inefficient means of doing so. It's basically a 177 page, redundant bastardization of the "Gear Talk" forum. Same with the "what are you listening to today?" thread that basically is a less convenient, redundant version of the "Listening to other music" forum.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 am

Yep. I just skimmed through it. That thread is basically what the Gear Talk forum used to be, only in a horribly inconvenient format.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:25 am

Joel, the only criticism I've seen of this compressor is that it doesn't really do the "destroyed" thing very well. Is this correct?

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:39 am

Don't get all big headed about it. You didn't hurt my feelings, I just don't think you should dismiss something you clearly didn't know anything about.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:43 am

chris harris wrote:Joel, the only criticism I've seen of this compressor is that it doesn't really do the "destroyed" thing very well. Is this correct?
For whatever it's worth. I haven't found the original Federals to do the "destroyed" thing very well. But that's sort of like critiquing a Fuchs amp for not sounding like a Marshall. In my opinion, there are a lot of compressors that can screw up a signal easily and not enough that are totally elegant and useful when you don't want something sounding messed-up.

I'm definitely curious about the Fed.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 am

double post.
Last edited by T-rex on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:01 am

cgarges wrote:
chris harris wrote:Joel, the only criticism I've seen of this compressor is that it doesn't really do the "destroyed" thing very well. Is this correct?
For whatever it's worth. I haven't found the original Federals to do the "destroyed" thing very well. But that's sort of like critiquing a Fuchs amp for not sounding like a Marshall. In my opinion, there are a lot of compressors that can screw up a signal easily and not enough that are totally elegant and useful when you don't want something sounding messed-up.

I'm definitely curious about the Fed.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Thanks!

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks for calling my attention to it, Joel! Now if it only sounds half as good as it looks... well.... there goes my extra holiday money..

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:09 pm

y'all done scurred him off!

Joel, if you're lurking I'd like to know how you decided on this compressor, what new possibilities it has brought to the table for you, etc. (also, off-topic, I'd like to pick your brain RE all those wacky snare verbs and effects on the Dub Trio records. Was it all automated preset-switching in the box? Dancing between hardware in real-time at mixdown? Dig those recordz a lot; ecept the riffs can get a little cheesy at times.)

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:58 pm

T-rex wrote:The Latest Gear thread is not BS. .. It's like a community swap meet where people talk about the stuff they bought and why they bought it. Every few days I check it and I have been hipped to some cool stuff from that thread.
I used to read it a lot more until I noticed that Chris Harris wasn't sharing.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:23 pm

That's cute. Any response to my suggestion that those threads are redundant and counter to the whole concept of the forums in which they appear? I made a thoughtful argument after being accused of not knowing anything about the thread and it's been completely ignored in lieu of snark.

BTW, I've shared plenty of posts over the years about gear that I've recently bought or gear that I've been interested in. I just did it in new topics in the "Gear Talk" thread, where it wouldn't get lost in 177 pages of misplaced posts.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Here are some ideas for comparable topics:

In the "Tape Op Magazine" forum: "Anybody got any thoughts on Tape Op Magazine?"

In the "People Skills" forum: "Anybody got any stories about client interactions?"

In the "DIY Gear" forum: "Tell us about some gear that you've built yourself!"

In the "Buy/Sell/Trade" forum: "Anybody got any gear for sale? List it here!"

Like I said, I get it... It's like a micro-community within this larger community. It's the corner booth at the bar. But, if a guy walks up to the bar and orders a beer, you don't say, "Why bother ordering from the bartender when so many people sit in that booth waiting on the server to take their order?"

Enjoy the corner booth. I apologize for belittling something that obviously means so much to a few of you. But, the original argument that this post belongs in that thread is still just pure bullshit.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:29 pm

I like the name Schmidlin.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:02 pm

The Schmidlin!

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:10 pm

"Can I sing my part now?! Jeez, what's the hold-up in there?"