Smoke in the Studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Plus it can be a major client turn-off.
Amen on that.

Incense is a migraine trigger for me. Like dry heaves and 36 hours in bed kinda migraine.

There are some record shops around here I no longer bother going into. No only does the place stink while I'm in it, so just shopping is rather unpleasant, but also anything I buy comes out permeated with it. It's hard to get smoke out of cardboard & paper.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 am

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "EMERGENCY! Shut everything off, run outside, and dial 911! NONE of your equipment should be smoking!"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:39 am

Ha!

I thought it was gonna be a Deep Purple parody. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:To go against the common grain here, a little smoke never hurt anything. A lot of smoke over a long time can cause damage, but that's a whole different story.

How often are you burning the incense? For how long? That's really the issue. The most vulnerable things would be mic capsules, so make sure they're safely away while it's burning and that there's good ventilation and you should be fine for decades. A good measure is if the room starts to stink you're burning too much. Plus it can be a major client turn-off.
Couple of sticks before the guys come over, or if the smell of the cat litter is too much, so not often.

Clients are not a worry, I'm in the yellow pages under X for xenophobe.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

toine6
audio school

Post by toine6 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:20 am

Drone wrote:I just went out and got more plugins for the glade thing in the outlet. I'm getting sick of the smell of fresh linen, or after the rain, or hawaiian sunset or whatever the heck it is though.....:
Sounds like you bought Cubase, and after a while needed to add some commercial VST's, presets, sound packs.

The new Glade Digital Audio Workstation! Can be further upgraded and expanded with commercial virtual instruments PLUGINS!! Find it soon at your local OUTLET!!! $899.95 Suggested Retail. $749.95 Street! Battery VST sold separately