Presonus Eureka DIY Mods / Revive Audio Mods worth it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: Presonus Eureka DIY Mods / Revive Audio Mods worth it?

Post by alexdingley » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:49 am

KuruPrionz wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:38 pm
I like these preamps better than the preamps in the Eureka.
I plugged them into the Return so I have the compressor and the EQ and those can switch positions. There's better stuff if you have the $$$ but for what I have in them, they are fun to work with and sound nice.
I'm a songwriter who wants to record decent sounding demos more than anything else. This is a GREAT place, so many knowledgeable and helpful posters here - I've learned many useful things in 9 pages. There's more! Cheers, Kuru
Thanks for joining and sharing! I wouldn’t have thought to try the Eureka comps on their own… I’m gonna check those out sometime! Still haven’t missed my pair, but I have all the parts sitting in a drawer.

So Kuru, by sharing this patching/routing idea… you’re now one of the knowledgeable ones that folks can learn from. Don’t hesitate to post some demos in the “listen to..” forum some time.

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Presonus Eureka DIY Mods / Revive Audio Mods worth it?

Post by KuruPrionz » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:33 am

alexdingley wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:49 am
KuruPrionz wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:38 pm
I like these preamps better than the preamps in the Eureka.
I plugged them into the Return so I have the compressor and the EQ and those can switch positions. There's better stuff if you have the $$$ but for what I have in them, they are fun to work with and sound nice.
I'm a songwriter who wants to record decent sounding demos more than anything else. This is a GREAT place, so many knowledgeable and helpful posters here - I've learned many useful things in 9 pages. There's more! Cheers, Kuru
Thanks for joining and sharing! I wouldn’t have thought to try the Eureka comps on their own… I’m gonna check those out sometime! Still haven’t missed my pair, but I have all the parts sitting in a drawer.

So Kuru, by sharing this patching/routing idea… you’re now one of the knowledgeable ones that folks can learn from. Don’t hesitate to post some demos in the “listen to..” forum some time.
Thanks Alex! I've seen quite a few posts in various places on the interwebz regarding the overall "pretty OK-ness" of the Eureka. I was thinking about selling them but recently started experimenting with using just a bit of compression or EQ while tracking instead of staying ITB. Lots of discussions abound regarding using multiple compressors at low ratios rather than one compressor squeezing everything. A small EQ tweak can make a mic go from being "nice" to being "very nice". A light touch is best tracking, we can always get crazy if we need to later.

Not at all sure that I am a "knowledgeable one" but I appreciate the compliment. There are some incredible posters on here, who've got TONS of experience and are kind enough to share their knowledge. I've learned many excellent things in the short time I've been on here and I am grateful for that. I do have a basic knowledge of signal path and gain staging and I've always been down for a good experiment.

If my pre-amp "replacement" hadn't made the Eurekas useful, they would just be gone. Serendipitous that I saw your thread while checking the back pages on here. I read elsewhere too - there are some great threads on Gearspace and I've scanned every page on this archived George Massenberg forum on MPN - https://forums.musicplayer.com/forum/18 ... ing-forum/
I read the threads that call out to me. I don't always implement the knowledge but sometimes it re-appears and inspires. There is much to be learned!

BTW, yesterday on MPN I was asked to moderate a recording forum there. I am honored to be able to accept and see what I can do with a little help from my friends. That's a work on progress at this point but please feel free to drop in anytime. I think the more we mix it up on different forums the more we will learn and network together. Cheers, Kuru
https://forums.musicplayer.com/forum/52 ... -limiters/