ubertar ribbon mic-- sneak preview of new version on page 23

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

newfuturevintage wrote:I can handle the repair myself, should be easy, any possibility of having you drop a little copper tape in the mail to me?
Sure, no problem. You're Bruce, right?

Steffan, I don't think they have copper foil at home depot. I could mail you a couple strips to use if you want.

This place is a great resource as well, if you need more for other projects:
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... top_cat=87

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:47 pm

AustinGreen adding his request. Thank you!

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:57 pm

ubertar wrote:
Steffan, I don't think they have copper foil at home depot. I could mail you a couple strips to use if you want.
I may take you up on that, but not yet. I have some friends at a local music shop down here. I'll call em up tomorrow and see if I can steal a few inches from em tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for being so generous with your time. I really, really appreciate it.
tra la la

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:15 pm

ubertar wrote:
newfuturevintage wrote:I can handle the repair myself, should be easy, any possibility of having you drop a little copper tape in the mail to me?
Sure, no problem. You're Bruce, right?
Ron, but you did send the mic to Bruce. The SF address.

Thanks!

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi. Erik Korte here. Please add me to the list for (1) mic.

Thanks!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:40 pm

ubertar wrote:This post is to add bantam and visible cow to the list, and ipressrecord for a second one.

You guys from batch 1 who are sending them back, you don't need to send me any money. This was my mistake, and I'll fix them free. If you feel compelled to help out, consider buying a hex pickup. http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic
Paul, I just saw all these posts about the "no output" issue. I've been holding off sending mine back to see if this turned into a trend and it did. But thanks to your DIY post I'll just fix it myself. Glad you found the fix...that's rock n roll buddy.

Anyone feeling compelled to buy the hex pickup, I can recommend it without hesitation. I was able to install mine rather quickly and without a hitch (I'm rather a moron with a solder iron in my hands but managed just fine) and have been using it the last few days on a new tune I'm tracking. It's a great buy and adds something beyond unique to your studio and arrangement possibilities. Talk about the ultimate candidate for another excuse to use parallel compression...this is it. It's also a very quiet pickup with very little self-noise IMO.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:11 pm

ubertar wrote:Steffan, I don't think they have copper foil at home depot. I could mail you a couple strips to use if you want.
No luck at the music shop - they don't use it and they don't have a supplier for it. If you could send a small strip of it my way that'd be fantastic. I'll pay you back for the shipping when I order my next one. :-)
tra la la

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:24 pm

KennyLusk wrote: Anyone feeling compelled to buy the hex pickup, I can recommend it without hesitation. I was able to install mine rather quickly and without a hitch (I'm rather a moron with a solder iron in my hands but managed just fine) and have been using it the last few days on a new tune I'm tracking. It's a great buy and adds something beyond unique to your studio and arrangement possibilities. Talk about the ultimate candidate for another excuse to use parallel compression...this is it. It's also a very quiet pickup with very little self-noise IMO.
I really do want to buy one...I just haven't figured out which guitar to put it in yet. Probably one I don't have yet. :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Batch 2 has been shipped. And copper foil has been sent to Ron and Steffan.

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:53 pm

Woohoo. Thanks for all your hard work ubertar.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:05 pm

stoked. excited to try this on a guitar cab. if i have time i'll record and post some samples comparing this to my joly-modded apex 205 i'm quite fond of

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:28 pm

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

slam
audio school

Post by slam » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:55 am

Hi Id like to get one of these as well.

thanks

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:11 pm

I'd be in for one of these!

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:07 pm

Ok, so I've been working my ass off making more of these... batch 3 will be ready some time next week. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I'll be all caught up on the list within a few weeks, maybe even sooner.