ubertar ribbon mic-- sneak preview of new version on page 23

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:39 pm

got the copper tape & installed it today.

Working much better now, thanks!

I took the copper tape, folded it in half against the clamping edge, and soldered it to the handle of the clip, moving the primary leads of the xfmr to the handle with the tape soldered to it.

Thought: with a little tweaking to the mount, you could position the ribbon between the magnets instead of having the ribbon above them; this would increase output gain substantially.

Thanks for the cool toy and support to get it up and running!

Question: what are you using for the ribbon material? It seems a lot stronger than the aluminum leaf I'm accustomed to using.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:24 pm

newfuturevintage wrote: Thought: with a little tweaking to the mount, you could position the ribbon between the magnets instead of having the ribbon above them; this would increase output gain substantially.
One would think... but I've tried that, and it's not the case.

newfuturevintage wrote:Question: what are you using for the ribbon material? It seems a lot stronger than the aluminum leaf I'm accustomed to using.
I had been using foil from an old capacitor, but found another source that seems to be the same thickness and gives the same output/tone, at any rate, and is much easier to work with b/c of how it comes. I've been curious to try something thinner, like signwriters' leaf, to see what kind of difference it might make. I will do some experiments with that eventually, but I like the tone from this stuff, so no hurry.

newfuturevintage wrote:Thanks for the cool toy and support to get it up and running!
Hey, it's my pleasure. I'm enjoying making these, and will enjoy it even more when I hear what you all end up doing with them.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:28 pm

tmcw wrote:(If I chimed in too late for batch 3, could I get on batch 4 if there is one?)
I'm doing them one-man-assembly-line style now, so the next batch should be about 50 mics total, so everyone on the list so far should be taken care of soon.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:51 am

8)

Got mine today!

I shall use it and post withit this weekend.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:22 pm

ubertar wrote:
newfuturevintage wrote: Thought: with a little tweaking to the mount, you could position the ribbon between the magnets instead of having the ribbon above them; this would increase output gain substantially.
One would think... but I've tried that, and it's not the case.
funky...not at all what I'd have expected!
newfuturevintage wrote:Question: what are you using for the ribbon material? It seems a lot stronger than the aluminum leaf I'm accustomed to using.
ubertar wrote: I had been using foil from an old capacitor, but found another source that seems to be the same thickness and gives the same output/tone, at any rate, and is much easier to work with b/c of how it comes. I've been curious to try something thinner, like signwriters' leaf, to see what kind of difference it might make. I will do some experiments with that eventually, but I like the tone from this stuff, so no hurry.
the signwriter's leaf works very well in the mics I've used it (EV V3, reslo something or other, film industries m8 ), but is a colossal pita to work with due to being so thin and lightweight.

Hallogallo
audio school graduate

Post by Hallogallo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:37 am

Ubertar,

If there is going to be another batch, or if there is room in batch 3, please put me down for one.

Thanks

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:20 am

I sent my 1st gen back on Friday for the foiling. Forgot to put my note in the box saying "Thanks! You're awesome!", so I'm putting it in here.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:02 am

Thanks Jason. I'll keep my eye out for it. I also received one from Wren and one other (haven't matched up the name with the moniker yet). I'll be working on those alongside with the new ones, which should all be done soon, and ready to send out sometime next week. I think this batch is 53 mics, so that should cover everyone, with a few to spare.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:46 am

I'll buy one of the mics. Let me know, thanks.

-chris

jeb98
audio school

Post by jeb98 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Could I buy one of these from the 3rd batch as well? Please let me know if this is possible.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:52 pm

jeb98 wrote:Could I buy one of these from the 3rd batch as well? Please let me know if this is possible.
If I'm counting right, yours would be the 47th mic, and I'm making 53, so there's room for six more in this group.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Aiight, see and hear it, here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:55 am

I'll have mine back in the mail to you tomorrow. Expect PayPal for my second mic today or tomorrow, as well.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

stoneman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stoneman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:23 am

dang, i pm'd you a while back to get on the list but just now saw the "order by post, not by pm" thingy there. well, please add me to whatever batch i can jump into. cheers, shane

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:54 am

stoneman wrote:dang, i pm'd you a while back to get on the list but just now saw the "order by post, not by pm" thingy there. well, please add me to whatever batch i can jump into. cheers, shane
Don't worry, I already added you to the list by posting it in the thread after you pm'ed me.