Reamps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:36 am

scottymac wrote:So are DIs and reamping the secret to getting a good recording of a band playing togther in one room?

I ask because this is what I hope to do with my own band, and this thread has given me some things to think about. The last time we recorded a few songs, we played together in our practice space -- I isolated the guitar and ran the bass DI (we're a 3-piece). Still got a lot of bleed from the guitar, since the practice space is only a 10x20 room.

I'd love to be able to concentrate on getting a nice recording of the drums (since, after all, I'm the drummer) but still have the tight vibe of us all playing together. Then later I could reamp the bass and guitar tracks and get my nice sounds there.

One question I have is how the bass and guitar will sound in our headphones as we play live. I can't imagine getting the feeling we're hoping for if our instruments don't sound good in the headphones. Like, I can't imagine really rocking when we're hearing a sterile DI guitar track instead of a loud Fender amp, you know?

Any suggestions on how to go about this kind of home recording approach? I'm pretty new to recording and still in the early stages of gear acquisition.

thanks!
-scott

___
www.rumandrebellion.com
Yes this is one secret to all playing in the same room with no bleed. Bass guitar sounds really good if you have good headphones, we have a set of DJ headphones that the Bass guitar really blasts in so we give those to whoever wants to hear that.

The guitar players are the ones that have the most trouble.

In a guitar amp/speaker setup there are a lot of crappy sounds out of the preamp. A lot of those highs are the sounds of the distortion and are rounded off/changed by the power amp and many are changed in the speaker cab. Guitar players get real nervous and are tempted to change their settings.

There is also the issue of less feedback and the resulting feedback. This can be a good and a bad thing.

But keep in mind you can always go back and add the guitars after you have captured the rest of the band.

A lot of times we go back and double guitar tracks/add solos with just the guitar player and his amp cranked and miced. In this situation we still capture the DI BECAUSE we may want to mess with mic position and reamp again. GUESS WHAT the feedback/Sustain will be in there in this case!

Sometimes its pretty cool hearing feed back created on a cranked halfstack playing through a small pratice tube amp LOL

We just bought a Mackie matrix mixer, this thing is awsome for monitoring while you record like this. One of the best investments we have made.

[/quote]
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:44 am

Awesome, thanks for the tips. So I'm thinking I need two DIs for guitar -- one takes the guitar signal straight to the DAW, another takes the signal through a distortion pedal or two and into the mixer for monitoring, so that the guitar will sound in our headphones something like how it really sounds.

Is there a better way to do this, without using all these DIs?

-scott

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:05 pm

scottymac wrote:Awesome, thanks for the tips. So I'm thinking I need two DIs for guitar -- one takes the guitar signal straight to the DAW, another takes the signal through a distortion pedal or two and into the mixer for monitoring, so that the guitar will sound in our headphones something like how it really sounds.

Is there a better way to do this, without using all these DIs?

-scott
Read all the options I gave above. If you are only reamping so you can cut the bleed I would

1 have the guitar player dial in his fav sound
2 make sure I can live with recording it
3 run a cable from his effects loop out into my DAW for monitoring and recording
4 record a sample, play it back from the DAW into his effects loop return, MAKE SURE IT SOUNDS right, adjust daw output level, effects loop return level ect to make sure you can get the sound.

After you do this you can record your tracks like step 3 and not worry about the clean DI. The clean DI is great to have around if you screw up the whole chain. Thus you only need 1 DI.

You will also degrade your sound when you use a Y cable to go into 2 DI boxes, the Guitar sees double the load (Half the impedance)
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:17 pm

scottymac wrote:So are DIs and reamping the secret to getting a good recording of a band playing togther in one room?
no the secret is recording it properly to begin with..but only if the sound in the room of the band playing is good to begin with..etc. etc.

though a "reamp" can be a good bandaid or fix for a poor live recording..

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:31 pm

Toolshed of Death wrote:
no the secret is recording it properly to begin with..but only if the sound in the room of the band playing is good to begin with..etc. etc.

though a "reamp" can be a good bandaid or fix for a poor live recording..
I agree 100% the first stage is a good performance!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:13 pm

Though I agree that a good performace is paramount...

I use the reamp more for creative choices than I do for "fixes" or as a "band-aid."

Being able to do "overdubs" of the same great performance through 4 different amps is surreal, and amazing. Even if the first one could have simply been the only one...

The kids all love that "stereo" thing these days, and there is simply nothing like having a couple of amps "interpret" the same basic guitar take... That along with a nice tight double can be amazing IMO.....

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:50 pm

yes..the creative or tone shaping aspects of the "reamp" devices are definitely the most fun and interesting..

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Passive vs. Active

Post by the finger genius » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm thinking about buying a Reamp box (not necessarily the "Reamp" box, although I haven't ruled it out) and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. In particular, I'm wondering what are the practical differences between the active and passive choices that are out there?

mcRack
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcRack » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:56 pm

I use the radial prormp,great simple passive box....and,it only costs 100$!!!
It always amazes me when the amp starts singing,great fun :)
only time `ll help,it`s a pain in the ... right now but, i know i`ll get there soon enough :)

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:29 pm

That definitely helps. I guess what I'm asking is, what does the active box do differently that folks are willing to shell out another 100 bucks for?

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:51 am

the finger genius wrote:That definitely helps. I guess what I'm asking is, what does the active box do differently that folks are willing to shell out another 100 bucks for?
Anybody?

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Typically you won't see loss of signal level with an active box. Lotta these impedence matching devices rely on a transformer as part of the circuit. Pump signal through a transformer and you'll get some modest signal loss. With a passive device, you could need some make up gain on the output side of the box. Probably not an issue when pumping that signal into an amp, but you never know. Also, transformers can have a tendency to color the sound. Sometimes cool, sometimes not. The active devices are often sold as "cleaner" sounding than passive ones because of the supposedly more "neutral" sound of an op-amp circuit...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:17 pm

Thanks for your responses guys. I did a little sleuthing on John Cuniberti's site and came with the following, which I think sums up pretty well why an active reamp device is not necessarily better:

Question - Why doesn't the Reamp require a power supply or battery?
Answer - The Reamp is designed around the philosophy of minimal signal path (less is more). A high quality transformer designed for reamping, a trim control, the proper connectors and RF filtering is all that is needed to do the job reliably with full bandwidth and no added distortion. Because the Reamp is transforming high-level audio into low-level audio there is no need for added power. Therefore, adding power would only provide silly lights and useless features that would compromise the audio signal and increases the failure factor tenfold. In addition, you might trip over the power cord and bump your head.

So thanks, Mr. Cuniberti!

0dbfs
audio school

Post by 0dbfs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:21 pm

I recently acquired an X-Amp box so that I could use the instrument in on one of my LA610's or API pre's which drive the X-Amp in the live room which drives a couple amps mic'd individually.

i'll us it in a reamp sitch as well after the fact.. but that's just a plus. I guess I can mult the mic-pre out to both the X-Amp and to a record channel for the "reamp-track"

The main reason for this at this point in time was to be able to drive a couple 5W practice amps in the live room with the guitarist in the control room without having to run 50 or 60 ft of instrument level signal.

the x-amp has two instrument level outputs. what are your thoughts of paralleling each of those two outputs to three amps? In other words, mic up six or seven amps and record any combo of amps for the particular part?...

Cheers,
j

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:32 pm

If the 2 outputs are active and designed to be used together, I would say you are OK with 2, but if you plug 2 amps into one, some amps may not like this. They are designed for high impedance inputs and many dont like to be pulled down with too low of an impedance.