Massey Plugins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:02 pm

I just finished mixing and mastering my band's record using only ProTools
EQ II, some T-racks, and LOTS of massey plug ins. They are awesome, no
two ways about it. My least favorite is the EQ, it is just not that useful to me being that the bands are fixed. But when it works, it works beautifully. The CT4 is good, but doesn't blow me away. I still used it a bunch, since my only other option was the PT compressor. Tapehead is just ridiculous, I used it everywhere! Simply amazing on acoustic gtr, bass, snare, room mics or overheads, blah blah blah. There were times when tapehead didn't work but they were few and far between. And the limiter kills as well! Yummy! I used it on pretty much every stereo drum bus, vocal busses, etc. and a touch of it on the master as well.
I only have the demos (the guys in the band bought all 4 for the OTHER Protools rig... bastards!), so I actually mixed the entire record charting my Massey settings in the notes section of each channel in PT. So I only had mono Tapehead, mono CT4, mono VT3, stereo L2007. It was insane to have to chart the settings, and reset everything every time I opened a session! But I suppose it kept me real, and it did work like a charm, perfectly repeatable results. Keep it up, Massey, you are a genius!!!!!!

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:45 pm

mertmo wrote:I just finished mixing and mastering my band's record using only ProTools
EQ II,
Go to digidesign.com and download EQ III. Its a real big improvement. The dynamics plugs are pretty good too.

Writing down the settings? Thats almost like the old days! :wink:

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm on PT 6.1, so I think EQ II is all I get...

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:49 am

Hmmm... I think it should work, they are just RTAS plugs. I have them working on 6.4.

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:51 am

You can download and use EQIII, Dynamics III and the newer Mod delay plugin from digidesign, they should all run no problems on 6.1.They are MUCH better then the old eq and comps - and the old ones stay installed as well, you can mix and match as you like. Are you using a digi 001 by any chance? You should try and get the update to 6.4cs9, fixes a few things, and it's generally very good.

Massey plugins do rock though. They are first on the buying list once I get a new job;-p

Has anybody been using the distortion pedal one yet? I havent had time to check it out, whaddaya all think?

Take it easy,

Paul
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 am

Cool, I will go get the new EQ and dynamics plugins. Thanks for setting me straight, guys!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:57 am

mertmo wrote:Cool, I will go get the new EQ and dynamics plugins. Thanks for setting me straight, guys!
I use the look ahead expander gate all the time from that bundle. The look ahead feature just smokes anything an outboard gate could possibly do. The expander aspect of that plug works really well to put a little more leading edge on a kick or snare.... you can even get it to do transient designer type stuff with a little effort.
Sidechaining that thing has come in handy many times as well.

The one band EQ gets used a LOT as well. A high pass that I can throw on something without imparting any "color" of its own is pretty awesome. For HPF/LPF moves, I actually love using a plugin, before the outboard stuff, just like it was "tracked that way" to the rest of the chain.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Re: j

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:06 pm

scottiedoo wrote:
jeddypoo wrote:me four thousand. I find myself borrowing m-boxes just so I can bounce a single track through the tape head plug, then bring it back into Logic.

AU!!!! VST!!!!! AU!!!! VST!!!!!!!
hahahahahaha thats rad
yeah, I seriously do this a lot. Especially with midi instruments. It makes a huge difference. I love PSP Vintage Warmer, but it doesn't really have the same function.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:21 pm

joel hamilton wrote:The one band EQ gets used a LOT as well. A high pass that I can throw on something without imparting any "color" of its own is pretty awesome. For HPF/LPF moves, I actually love using a plugin, before the outboard stuff, just like it was "tracked that way" to the rest of the chain.
totes. my pt template has one on each track. great for small global volume adjustments on a track with volume automation too.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:13 pm

will the moor wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:The one band EQ gets used a LOT as well. A high pass that I can throw on something without imparting any "color" of its own is pretty awesome. For HPF/LPF moves, I actually love using a plugin, before the outboard stuff, just like it was "tracked that way" to the rest of the chain.
totes. my pt template has one on each track. great for small global volume adjustments on a track with volume automation too.
And gives you a polarity reverse button on each track!

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:17 pm

joel hamilton wrote:The expander aspect of that plug works really well to put a little more leading edge on a kick or snare.... you can even get it to do transient designer type stuff with a little effort.
Sidechaining that thing has come in handy many times as well.
This would really come in handy for me if I could figure out how to do it. Is the secret getting the attack time set just right? If you could spare the time to write a sentence or two to get me started on this I'd be in your debt.

Todd Wilcox

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:44 am

I just used the L7 last night for the first time. I've always been kind of annoyed at low volume levels when burning a reference cd out of pro tools. A few db from the L7 and I can happily report I will be using this all the time for this function.

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:03 am

UnlikeKurt wrote:I just used the L7 last night for the first time. I've always been kind of annoyed at low volume levels when burning a reference cd out of pro tools. A few db from the L7 and I can happily report I will be using this all the time for this function.
Me Too!

I really wish though (I hope steven is looking) that there was a gain reduction meter with an infinite hold option ala L2. That way you can see at a glance what your max compression level is. That would make my freakin' day!

soundandform
studio intern

Post by soundandform » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:36 pm

jayro_rockola wrote: I really wish though (I hope steven is looking) that there was a gain reduction meter with an infinite hold option ala L2. That way you can see at a glance what your max compression level is. That would make my freakin' day!
I upgraded the full version a little while back to include a peak reduction hold. That section now looks like this:

Steve

neier
audio school graduate

Post by neier » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Does anyone still have installers for the free digi III TDM stuff? I'm also looking for installers for PT6.4 compatible Massey demos as they've told me they don't still have them.

Thanks!