facing the inevitable: getting a PT system

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:30 am

fw800 is backwards compatible with 400 you just need an adapter cable. But I am not sure if that doesnt somehow mess with PT authorization via the hardware.
Audio gear and 1394 seem to have a love hate relationship (talk to anyone with a fireface 800 or motu firewire interface) so I wouldnt be surprised if fw800 was a stumbling block. Again, conjecture, anybody can authoritatively yay or nay this?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:35 am

calaverasgrandes wrote: If it was me, and I was just getting this stuff to bone up on PT, I would go with an ancient ass G4 Macbook pro, and an mbox or digi 001.
In my other line of work, IT/networking, I bought a bunch of obsolete networking gear for my home lab. It all works fine, it just doesnt move as fast as the latest greatest. Point being that if its not for production work, just for educational use, there isnt really any point in sinking a lot of cash into it.
I personally know a couple of producers that use very modest macs with very modest interfaces. If all you are doing is editing and maybe a little program equalization/compression than a G4 will run fine. Though not the latest software of course. Can anyone help enlighten this guy about what he would be missing if he went for an older version of PT?
I'd say he'd be fine with a version 6.4 or later PT, to get used to the editing and the interface etc. He'll be missing some interface updates and some features but overall what he'll need to "practice" on at home will pretty much all be there. If he has an up-to-date PT rig at the job it isn't totally crucial to have one at home. He'll just have to remember to down-save his sessions if he's gonna take them home. But that's good practice as well.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Thanks everybody that chimed in with real suggestions. I have a good feel now for what will and won't work, as well as good locations to source the goods. Keep thine fingers crossed for gainful employment, eh?

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:00 pm

newfuturevintage wrote: Keep thine fingers crossed for gainful employment, eh?

eh, it's overrated.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:45 pm

the finger genius wrote: eh, it's overrated.
but sometimes necessary

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:22 pm

true
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.