Moderators: drumsound, tomb

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:05 pm

payment sent for 2. thanks!

OptimusRhyme
ass engineer

Post by OptimusRhyme » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:49 pm

Payment sent for my pair, thanks again dude!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Payment sent! :^:

audiophreak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by audiophreak » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi All,

in no particular order:

Wreckofdreams - Paid - Shipped
Al Huero - Paid - Shipped
RM - Paid - Shipped
Johnny Dove - Paid - Shipped
bremusound - Paid - Shipped
Optimus Rhyme - Paid - Shipped
Rythm Ranch - Paid - Sjipped

Thanks again for the support,

Happy New Year - :wink:

Chip
With out music, life would be a mistake

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:28 pm

Thanks Chip, Happy New Year to you as well!

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:16 am

so, are the inner electronics for the 603s that good that it warrants having a capsule worth several times of the components mounted to it?

i'm in the school of thought that everything should be updated evenly.

ex: you can't get an amazing mic and have a crap mic pre. it's better to have halfway decent ones of each.

so, although I'm very intrested since I like my modded 603s's myself,

why was this made?

wasn't the whole idea of the Royer mod for the mic based around that the capsule was pretty good and the electronics were sub-standard?
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

taji
audio school

Post by taji » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:18 am

I am also considering a second run at the machine shop.

Found out about this a bout a month late :(.
I'm definitely interested if you do a second run.

taji.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:41 am

themagicmanmdt wrote:so, are the inner electronics for the 603s that good that it warrants having a capsule worth several times of the components mounted to it?...wasn't the whole idea of the Royer mod for the mic based around that the capsule was pretty good and the electronics were sub-standard?
A careful read of Dave Royer's "Another tube mic from Barstow" article shows he used an ADK A-51 SC small diaphragm mic for his project which installed a 5840 tube in cathode-follower mode (similar to the DPA, older Altec and AKG SDC mics).

He does mention ADK and Marshall Electronics make SDC mics, but does not specifically mention the MXL 603. In fact, he makes no specific claims, positive or negative about either the stock capsule or circuit in these mics but rather talks about the qualities of the cathode follower circuit that make it a strong candidate for use in small 'pencil' type mics.

But the 603 circuit functions quite well with some parts and topology modifications and provides a 'Schoeps-like' impedance conversion / transformerless sound as this circuit uses the Schoeps design. The stock capsule is a reasonable facsimile of a KM-84 capsule but who wouldn't want to try swapping other capsules onto the 603 electronics?

audiophreak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by audiophreak » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi All,

I thought I would give a link to the origonal Royer article for the SDC Mod and a link to another article I found.

http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/roye ... rmod_2.pdf

http://www.crodog.org/tubemic2/tube2.htm

As with both articles, it is a cathode follower circuit, I know that the circuit in my AKG C-60 is also a cathode follower circuit, so I copied the circuit in my C-60 and used the PSU for my C-60 ( as the mic output Trans is in the PSU ) to test the mic and see if I liked it. I did and the made its own PSU, one with the Lundal Royer speced and one with a C-60 trans from Oliver at TAB.
themagicmanmdt wrote:so, are the inner electronics for the 603s that good that it warrants having a capsule worth several times of the components mounted to it?

What Mod did you do? - the one where you change out a couple of caps, then yes, I agree with you.

But if you did the Royer Mod, the only thing " MXL" about the mic is the body tube and capsule, you change the capsule, and its a compleatly new, and exceptional sounding Microphone.

Thanks All,
Chip

:D

audiophreak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by audiophreak » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi,

Michael Jolly : I appologies, my last post have been interpreted as a dig on the mod you offer, it was not intened so.
The only mod I have heard is the one I did on my 603s, and in MHO makes a great improvemnt in the overall sound with the stock capsules.
But when I made the adapter and put a CK1 on there - WOW!

That was the point I was trying to make.

Thanks,
Chip

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:49 pm

so, did any slip through the cracks? :)
________
Gay movie
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiophreak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by audiophreak » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:11 am

Hi All,

A couple of people have sent emails concerning the threads on the adapters.

I did in fact test all adapters on my 603s and CK1s before shipping, the Adapters are made on Stainless Steel witch is very stiff and hard,and if you look at the thread on the mic body, there are only 3 or 4 threads, so I had to make the tolerances a little snugg because there's not a lot holding the adapter on to the mic body. Same with the CK thread although in a different way, the threads there are very very fine.

I find it easier to hold the adapter steady and screw the mic body on to it, then screw the capsule on to the adapter. Please be careful not to cross the threads. They are all a little stiff, but no one should have to crank down on them.

Sorry for the confusion,

Chip

couser
audio school

adapters

Post by couser » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:52 pm

just paid for 2 adapters...

thanks again.......couser

stitch
pluggin' in mics

Post by stitch » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 am

Id dig a pair if there are any left...

audiophreak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by audiophreak » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi All,

Apparently there is a problem with the treads on the adapter. It seams the MXL mic body's are threaded first, then plated, the plating is over the treads, when I got the adapters from the machine shop, I tested all of them on my 603s before i shipped out, in doing so, it wore the plating off the threads on my mic body, so it will be too stiff on anyone elses. BUMMER I guess that's what I get for putting a quality part on a cheap Chinese mic body.
Please send the adapters back, I have worked a solution out with the machine shop and they are making new adapters as we speak, and I will ship new ones ASAP.

If you want a refund, I completely understand, and will do so if you want on the return of the old adapters,

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Chip