Steven Massey (of Massey plug-ins) getting screwed by Nady

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rollmottle
ass engineer

Post by rollmottle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:49 am

This seems to me a little out of hand...

http://nadyboycott.adstain.org/

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 am

rollmottle wrote:This seems to me a little out of hand...

http://nadyboycott.adstain.org/
Agreed. Massey is obviously, and probably rightfully, just a more respected member of the audio community. That's no reason for everyone to form a lynch mob based on hearing one side of a dispute. This is an obvious over-reaction to a legitimate legal dispute between two parties. And, the kicker is that none of us know the whole story.

It's one thing to form a personal opinion based on a hunch and half of the story. It's quite another (and kinda sad) to invest so much time and energy into organizing a boycott of a product (that, honestly, most professionals don't use anyway) based on one side of the dispute. I doubt that Mr. Massey is watching this and keeping score so that he can award the most enthusiastic boycotters with free plugins. It really stinks of mob mentality piling on.

re: Facebook: All of those people had to click the button to "become a fan of Nady" before they could announce their boycott. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:35 am

rollmottle wrote:My point is, that responding to alleged unprofessional behavior in kind isn't really doing anybody any good. Ends up reflecting poorly on the person trying to "help", the forum here or elsewhere, the community in general, and ultimately will just reflect poorly on Steven. Given the community's escalation of the matter, Mr. Nady is also welcome to do the same thing and reach out to his network to a potentially similar detriment to Mr. Massey's reputation. Steven's account of this story did not summon the masses for a "call to arms" against Nady...he was looking for professional advice and a potential sub-lessor, not for everybody to stick their nose in and send Nady their opinion on the issue. Let's just say that some of the responses I've read seem to be on the less judicious side of things. [Edit: After reading the FB page, I'm going to amend that to say "some of the responses I've read are pretty unprofessional."]
Ah, well, to be accurate, no one is responding to Nady "in kind" - that is, no one is bullying him into taking a $20k lease on a misrepresented property.

What is happening, in response to one "audio professional" misleading another about the usability of a studio space, is that other audio professionals are stirring up bad PR for Nady. That can get ugly and ungraceful and reflect poorly on both sides, I hear you - and if that bothers you then don't participate. Or do participate, and be polite but firm about it.

But, if nobody says anything, then Nady will continue to operate as if there are no ramifications for his actions... no negative attention paid to Massey's situation means that Nady will press his advantage to the legal limit (or beyond), without regard to the ethics of the situation.

Again, though, I hear your concern that this could just turn into a mud-flinging match, and I respect it if you don't wish to participate.

cheers,
Leigh

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 am

*doggedly trying to figure out how to work a Hitler/Rosa Parks dichotomy into this thread to elevate the discourse*

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 pm

I wonder if there would be the same haste to pick sides if this was Massey vs. Neve instead of Massey v. Nady. Sometimes the mob thing feels more like an excuse to bash something (someone) you already don't care for than a group of people doing the absolute right thing. If people weren't saying "well, Nady gear sucks anyway, so sure I'll boycott" I'd have a little more confidence in the morality of what's going on here. That's not going to make Nady feel like they're losing anything due to this either.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

rollmottle
ass engineer

Post by rollmottle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:02 pm

leigh wrote: Again, though, I hear your concern that this could just turn into a mud-flinging match, and I respect it if you don't wish to participate.

cheers,
Leigh
I will respectfully submit that it already has turned into a mud-flinging match. I've met Steven at a TapeOp Con, dealt with him separately on a customer service issue, and own some of his plugins. No question he's a class act and super nice guy. I doubt any of this was his intention though.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:36 pm

I have decided to boycott the boycotters. Since I'm a de-facto boycotter, I am now self boycotting. I refuse to speak to me until this is peacefully resolved!
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:38 pm

i am biased towards the little guy with demonstrated integrity and fairness trying to make a living selling great products vs the seemingly faceless large pusher of off-shore crap yes... iam.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:18 pm

bantam wrote:i am biased towards the little guy with demonstrated integrity and fairness trying to make a living selling great products vs the seemingly faceless large pusher of off-shore crap yes... iam.
Who's not? Honestly, around here, we pretty much are all biased in that way. But, this isn't a revolution. This "boycott" isn't really even a boycott. As has been mentioned, most of the participants aren't even the target market for most Nady products anyway. It's just piling on and flinging shit. And, I agree that in the end, it doesn't do Massey any good at all.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 pm

OK, now that this thread is properly falling apart and backlashing, can I call a point of order?
Gentleman Jim wrote:...how could you let a stupid move like this taint the perception you have in the marketplace?
He said "taint". Heh heh, heh heh.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

leigh wrote:OK, now that this thread is properly falling apart and backlashing, can I call a point of order?
Gentleman Jim wrote:...how could you let a stupid move like this taint the perception you have in the marketplace?
He said "taint". Heh heh, heh heh.
I'm sorry I pissed on your thread, dude.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

rollmottle
ass engineer

Post by rollmottle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 pm

FYI, Toby Nady sent a response to Mr. Massey CC'ing a bunch of other people.

The email is posted over on GS (scroll down):
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-zon ... ins-2.html

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 pm

It was probably a mistake for Massey to take this public. Now the validity of both sides is in question. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:36 am

HOW TO SOLVE OP'S ORIGINAL PROBLEM...READ CAREFULLY!

1. Rent or borrow a VERY large sound system...about 20,000 watts should do it.

2. Point sound system towards offending salsa band space.

3. When salsa band starts to play, or drummer starts to practice, deliver about 150db of "dont break my heart, my achey breaky heart," over and over. (be sure to lock your doors and have a large caliber weapon at your disposal).

4. If this doesn't work, switch song to "tiptoe through the tulips."

5. Salsa band will find another rehearsal space, in which you rent out their side to and sublet it out.

6. If this still doesn't work, spray about a gallon of deer urine, available at any good hunting store, in irritating salsa band's space.

Problem solved.

*wow, after i typed this, i noticed a ton of other people suggested the same thing...
Last edited by casey campbell on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:46 am

I had a similar problem, when I lived in Bushwick, Brooklyn, and someone had taken it upon themselves to be dj of the neighborhood. They had a huge speaker in their window, pointed out, and would play reggaeton and other spanish-language music at full blast, all day long, every day. So, finally I put my bass amp in the window, and played Tibetan chants at full volume, while I wore earplugs and hung out in the next room, with the door closed. Before that I had tried Black Sabbath, Miles Davis... some traditional African music... but the Tibetan chanting was the only thing that worked.