Metallica In Studio - Info

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 am

nobody, really wrote:I have to say, as a hard-core fan of the first four(then and now), I can't imagine what drove them to put out the garbage that followed.
Go ahead and imagine making kajillions of dollars.

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:49 pm

:tear:

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:43 pm

For some reason, I actually LOVE the Black Album. It's not as evil and fast as the first 4, but I really enjoy the fact that they decided to let the songs be songs instead of trying to cram a ton of riffs into one song. Yeah, they went "kaching!!" but more importantly, I see what they did as packaging their art, or message in a more palatable packaging. The masses could understand 3 and 4 minute songs about darkness, and hate, but what they normally can't tolerate is a 3 minute instrumental intro for a 7 minute song. I'm not saying that every band should try this approach, but as someone who appreciates everything from Britney Spears to Burzum, it's cool to see someone take a risk by being MORE commercial instead of constantly getting faster, and more complex. Faster and more complex would have been the easy road for Metallica at that stage

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 pm

call me crazy but i'm actually ENJOYING the sound of AJFA. hetfield's guitars sound awesome. the whole thing is so stark and bleak...as a Bold Artistic Statement ya gotta hand it to jaymz and lars. even if they weren't actually intending for it to sound like THAT, and it ended up there due to egos and cocaine...in the end it works for the songs and is entertaining to listen to.

i put on the black album right after AJFA and the bass on 'enter sandman' was so loud i fell out of my chair laughing. black album sounds like a mega technicolor hollywood blockbuster. some of the kick drums are so painful though. i swear they're boosting 15k. and the snare has that real hard clipping sound...hurts. but everything else sounds really good, and bob rock managed to somehow get reasonable solos out of poor kirk hammett, who's just embarrassingly terrible all over AJFA.

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:35 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:does anyone else think puppets sounds a little, i dunno, weird?

You gotta remember, there was NO ease of sharing info like there is today. No TapeOP.com. what was happening in LA or NY wasn't happening in Denmark. How would anyone know?

Each album was an experimental expression of the guy making it. Think of how cool that is? That you can go out and buy an album that sounds VERY different from another album of the same genre.

One thing is true though... No matter how weird it might sound (by today's homogenized and trendy standards), that album was SO good, that the "songs/music" sold the record. The stats prove that...
- Brad

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:41 am

Metallica, "sonically", for me? Three words....

Am I Evil.

Let's all take 5 minutes to re-aquaint ourselves with this little gem.
- Brad

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:call me crazy but i'm actually ENJOYING the sound of AJFA. hetfield's guitars sound awesome. the whole thing is so stark and bleak...as a Bold Artistic Statement ya gotta hand it to jaymz and lars. even if they weren't actually intending for it to sound like THAT, and it ended up there due to egos and cocaine...in the end it works for the songs and is entertaining to listen to.

i put on the black album right after AJFA and the bass on 'enter sandman' was so loud i fell out of my chair laughing. black album sounds like a mega technicolor hollywood blockbuster. some of the kick drums are so painful though. i swear they're boosting 15k. and the snare has that real hard clipping sound...hurts. but everything else sounds really good, and bob rock managed to somehow get reasonable solos out of poor kirk hammett, who's just embarrassingly terrible all over AJFA.
Were you listening to a newer disc or an old one. The Black Album has been remastered and, as happens a lot, they ruined it by trying to make it too bright and loud.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:09 am

nobody, really wrote:
:tear:
If you made a few albums that were moderately successful and then you made one that just kept selling millions and millions and millions, wouldn't you be thinking to yourself "maybe we should do more of that"?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am

farview wrote:Were you listening to a newer disc or an old one. The Black Album has been remastered and, as happens a lot, they ruined it by trying to make it too bright and loud.
i'm sure it's an old one. it's not too loud, the RMS barely cracks -10. it's just the kick and snare that drive me bonkers. i bet if we could hear the tapes before they got subjected to the "compensating for lars' deafness" eq curve, the drums would sound really super great. i love the way they sound on the 'year and half in the life' docu. that room at one on one sounds incredible.

brad, i was rocking 'am i evil' off the creeping death ep (which i have on 12" blue vinyl because i'm fucking cool) just the other day. always been one of my top jams of all time. anyone who doesn't instinctively break out into a grin when they go into the fast part.....i don't even know what to say, that person can't actually exist in the world.

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:17 am

nobody, really wrote: It's interesting that there seems to be two Metallica's. "Black Album" and after, and the "classic three/four". I think this phenomenon can be elegantly explained by Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, in which Bill and Ted are killed and replaced by Evil Robots.
In Metallica's case, we have a slight deviation in which they are replaced by Evil Robots That Suck.
Holy shit I about spit my coffee.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:bob rock managed to somehow get reasonable solos out of poor kirk hammett, who's just embarrassingly terrible all over AJFA.
I've always thought the opposite. The solos on Justice were way more interesting to me, his tone just wasn't that happening. The solos on the black album just sound like blues scale bullshit for the most part, and WAAAAYYYY too much wah pedal. Fuck Bob Rock for letting him get away with that. The solo on Unforgiven is pretty cool, but I think Hetfield's solo on Nothing... might be the best on the album.

As for the drums on Justice, I might have to rethink my attitude about the SM57. Although I already know that mic can become something different when put through a good preamp and EQ, over the years I've gone from being a fan of it to almost refusing to use it. Sort of like my opinion on Metallica oddly enough. Anyways, I've always considered the kick and tom sounds on Justice some of the best, especially for the era. Didn't realize they were just using 57's. The toms are warmer and more natural on Puppets, as is everything else on that record, but ya, there is something weird about the sound of that one as mentioned earlier. I always wondered if Lars worked really hard to get those drums down, got the record out and felt really good, then heard Reign In Blood and went "oh... :cry: "

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:52 pm

hahahahahahahaha. poor lars.

fair point about hammett. i just like to pick on him. but yeah, his tone is the real problem on justice. so dry and thin! if ever there was a guy who needed some Hit Sauce on his solos it's kirk. he was so much better on the earlier stuff when he was playing more minor scale type things rather than the blues box wah wah bullshit.

now cliff, there was a guy who knew how to use a wah pedal. and james too! the wah guitar at the end of 'thing that should not be' will always be one of my favorite sounds.

i tried playing guitar along with puppets last night. when i was a teenager i could pretty effortlessly play the whole record almost note for note. alas that is not the case at age 41. i used to have the Right Wrist of Doom and now i'm just a sad old man. :(

also, anyone ever notice the tambourine on the title track to justice? hiding way in the back with jason? it makes me laugh.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Metallica ? ?And Justice for All: Just the bass

Shame what they did. Those bass parts could have made a good record fucking awesome.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 pm

holy clang-a-rama!

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:07 pm

We were next door,and all I remember (la weed) was LOTS of 1/4" slices of
2" tape. Like LOTS! As in 3" deep. Later(10 min),they were miraculously vacuumed up! YAY! Interns!. Pastor of Muppets!
I am the Walnut

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:04 pm

If you made a few albums that were moderately successful and then you made one that just kept selling millions and millions and millions, wouldn't you be thinking to yourself "maybe we should do more of that"?
No, actually I'd be thinking to myself, "OMG! WTF? Why are all these fucking jocks buying my records now and blasting them in their "hung like a baby carrot" gigantic trucks all over town? Maybe I should go meditate in the Himalayas for 7 months." That's what I would think.

BTW, I have that Creeping Death picture disc too, BUT do you have the Metallica comic book, where james breaks his wrist skateboarding? epic.