An interesting/cheap non plugin Plate verb is what?......

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Hello all.

I've been searching ebay for a while for a possible contender. I went for a quadraverb and tonight I won the auction for ?36 for a unit with the backlight not working. If I add the quadraverb to the echoes and the realistic bb echo and my favourite akai 1710 valve electronics I should be able to knock something together.

Thanks for all the advice.

Iwan

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:53 pm

I used the verbs in my cheap Lexicons , LXP 1, LXP 5, & MPX100, for years after getting a computer, because non of my ITB reverbs sounded as good to me. The MPX has a plate setting that I really liked on drums, and you could probably get one for next to nothing these days.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:35 am

Check it out, if you want a clean sounding plate sound, check out the Lexicon Reflex ($50-$100 used). If you want the classic Lexicon plate soun like a 480L or 224XL check out the Lexicon Alex. If you want a EMT 250 plate sound (which I like for shorter reverb times) track down a Roland SRV-330 ($150-$200). Send whichever one you choice to Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades and you won't regret it. Or be like me and get all three! There are times I prefer the plate sounds in the boxes to the stereo EMT 140 we have at the studio with Martech electronics we bought from the Grand Ole Opry.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:31 am

NewAndImprov wrote:I used the verbs in my cheap Lexicons , LXP 1, LXP 5, & MPX100, for years after getting a computer, because non of my ITB reverbs sounded as good to me. The MPX has a plate setting that I really liked on drums, and you could probably get one for next to nothing these days.
same here in regards to the rack gear over the computer.. one they sound better, and well, the "good" ones I have in the computer take too much processing power..

So i'm constantly using my LXP-1, Wedge, spx90, Effectron, and DOD spring. Unfortunately the REV7 needs to go to the doctor.

I can't decide to either save for a second wedge, a better sounding spring. Or someday a Briscasti...All those are cheaper than an HD system!

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:07 pm

ott0bot wrote:I've found that nothing sounds better than a Soundworkshop 242 getting overdriven and fed into a effectron or a super timeline. All the way from fuzzy garage era sounds to an almost plate sound with a bit less decay.
I like this idea for this reverb "recipe", and I was playing around with it (since I happen to have both those pieces).

Question for how you were using the Effectron - how did you have the Delay Mix control set? At full Dry (just to get the diode limiting from the Effectron's input), at full Wet (to delay the entire reverb signal), or at some mix in between?

I liked the full Wet setting best myself, using the Effectron like a reverb pre-delay (though, technically, in the signal chain you describe it's a post-delay). It helped keep some clarity to the vocal, even while the huge reverb wash was happening behind it.

Leigh

reedblack
pluggin' in mics

Post by reedblack » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Check out TapeOp issue #49 for examples of different types of DIY Springs. Using a slinky? You bet.

-Reed

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Garges played me a mix years ago where the reverb he used sounded surprisingly like my Platesonics plate. I think it was a REV 5 or REV 7, but may have been a Sony. Send him a PM, he may remember.