Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:31 am

seanthomas46 wrote:thought this was a site for electrical understanding of gear. superficial discussion with topical understanding instead. :?
It's a site about recording. If you have a specific question about the electronics side of it, I'm sure you can find an answer here. But you'll have to ask the question, or do a search. It's not all electronics, all the time-- if you want that, there are other places to go.

seanthomas46
audio school

Post by seanthomas46 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:40 am

doomdelay808, usually about dampening, volts, peaks and core type results.
Last edited by seanthomas46 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.

? Nikola Tesla
?A Machine to End War *? (Liberty, February, 1935)

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:43 am

Picked up an Epiphone Special II LP, for ten bucks. It had a couple problems that were easily fixed. I'm surprised at how good this guitar is... neck feels really good, tone is nice... just a really good-sounding and playing guitar. These have been made in both Indonesia and China... this is a Chinese one. I don't know if that matters. The reviews online of these are consistently high, so I don't think I just lucked out and found a good one. They've been made since 06, and they're still in production. I don't know when this one was made, but it was collecting dust for a long time before I bought it and cleaned it up. They're around 150 new, so definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a LP to bang around on and don't need to be snobby about the name on the headstock.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:51 am

seanthomas46 wrote:doomdelay808, usually about dampening, volts, peaks and core type results.
You're better off posting this in its own thread, where people will see it. It's going to get buried here in the gargantuan "latest gear you've acquired" thread.

seanthomas46
audio school

Post by seanthomas46 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:53 am

wow ubertar, that's a deal. sorry btw, mistook recording philes for electronic audiophiles, not being sarcastic.
Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.

? Nikola Tesla

seanthomas46
audio school

Post by seanthomas46 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:58 am

doomdelay808 is I of other places, and can be pegged to talk over the aforementioned, since you asked one take it elsewhere. here cause latter talk is scarce, gone then after the second :wink: cause latter talk's of scarcity here too :wink:

? Nikola Tesla

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:10 am

I see. I thought "doomdelay808" was some kind of delay unit you wanted info on! Makes more sense now.

Btw, I didn't say, "take it elsewhere", just that there might be better places to find what you were asking about. Doesn't mean you can't hang here too.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:20 am

Verily, someone's morning multigrain corn byproduct sustenance hath been fouled by putrid defecation of thine neighbor homo sapien.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm

LED lights.

I tried some a couple years ago but wasn't pleased with the color of the light or how they worked with dimmers.

Boy oh boy have they gotten better.
Incandescent lights put out SO MUCH HEAT!

I'm using Phillips and Cree lights now.
They aren't cheap but I'm super excited about having them in the studio.
Especially in our booths.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Got a DOD octoplus (octave down) pedal today, for FREE. Guy originally wanted $20 for it, re-tested it, decided it was too glitchy to ask money for. I got home, messed around with it for a while... it's no glitchier than the Boss OC-2 I used to have. It just needs a hot signal. With weak pickups it needs some kind of boost before the pedal.

Here's a little taste of the Epi Special II LP through the DOD octoplus:
http://www.ubertar.com/creot/octoplus.mp3

The total cost of the signal path (in front of the mic) is $21. :)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:37 pm

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:04 am

Sean Sullivan wrote:
trodden wrote:
Sean Sullivan wrote:I just ordered a CAPI VP28 kit with GAR2520's. I really like the idea of an API preamp with an output fader.
That's on my list as well.
I'm really impressed with it. I prefer it to my API 3124+ (which I've sense sold) and the racked up sextet of vintage API 312's we have at the studio. The output trim is godsend, I never liked the way my 3124+ sounded with the pad engaged, and with the trim I can still hit the input transformer for a little color but not overload the converter. Sounds really nice on things like cymbals and banjos where the top end can get a little nasty in the digital world. And the high pass filter is a great feature too. I wouldn't call the build easy, but there's a really great step by step guide. I highly recommend it, especially for the money it's a no brainer.
Were the 28's your first CAPI kit? Was thinking I'd do some 26's first, to get the hang of things.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:43 am

I can't remember if i've posted since the most recent round of upgrades, i hope this isn't redundant:

Did the Inner Tube mod to my old U-87 (30 seconds to do and completely reversable), holy shit! This mic is smoother than butter now and sounds great on everything.

Got an old Blue Mouse, very nice alternative to the U-87 on lots of stuff.

Got a Beyer M-99, it's living inside the kick now. I love the sound of it on kick. In my mind, it's kinda like an re-20 with more low end.

This one changed, my life. An Audio Kitchen Big Trees. Tiny stomp boxed size 2.5 watt amp, man it sounds beautiful!

Chandler TG-2 500. Damn! I couldn't resist that sweetwater free financing. Wonderful pre on guitar and snare.

And last but not least, had my old broken Lomo, fitted with a 12 gauge microphones blue capsule. It sounds better than it ever did now.

I tried to paste in a pic, but the image thing doesn't work for me...

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:24 am

Ordered a Hairball FET/500 Rev D kit and a used Anamod AM660 of eBay.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Yamaha PM-430 8x4 mixer. Little brother (sort of) to the PM1K.
Currently hard at work on some next level 4-track shit.