Why do pop musicians lose inspiration with the years?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brakeshop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by brakeshop » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:19 am

Yo Tater, I also remember some interview of phil spector where he said he became a record producer because then he could make the records that he wanted. He also said he was screwed out of a lot of money when he had his first hit(as a pop star), and that the producer was the one who made all the money. I don't think most producers have the power that phil spector had during his heyday, but a lot of them come close, and the real topdog in my opine is always the record company. A lot of good records have been shelved just because the record company didn't think they could get back their investment. And I'm sure the sophmore slump, at least with pop stars, has a lot to do with shelflife and marketability. I may be full of it in thinking this way, but all I know is when I watch music videos I watch a lot of them with the sound off.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:30 am

Right on. The execs and, to a lesser degree, the producers have it made. Musicians are forced into rigidly defining themselves as SOMETHING or other, style and fashionwise, while execs and producers can quietly labor in the background as musical styles and fashions change.

I just finished reading the excellent book by Jacob Slichter (drummer for Semisonic). What a dizzying ride through the craziness of the major labels. There is a lot of injustice in the industry but on the other hand there are (some) hugely talented or shrewd (or both) musicians who justly achieve huge success in the music biz. The road is littered with the carcasses of artists who get hung up in the bizarre recoupable expense abyss and barely scrape by on publishing deals. It is a strange deal that succeeds (mostly) in rewarding the principals at the record companies.

I am a hobbyist. Music is the toy department in my life. Thank goodness for that. If I could snap my fingers and have a career in the music biz (and the necessary talent to go with the career) I would choose "producer" over "rock star" without even giving it a second thought.