What Mic Preamps SHOULDN'T I Buy??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pieter
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by pieter » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:27 pm

ChrisCo: oops, sorry for not checking back in. Crazy week!

kb: thanks for covering for me. That's pretty much what I was going to say.

Back to you Chris, the only thing I'd add is that I don't see how the Sytek doesn't meet and exceed all your criteria. It's not mid shelf, it's well above that, and for a used one, you'd be getting four channels for under $200 per channel. That's pretty much an unbeatable bargain for something you won't want to trade in quickly, if ever. Honestly, I can't see any reason not to have one around, even if you do have Neves, APIs, Chandlers, GRs, whatever.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:09 pm

HAAAA!!!

That's good times!!!

That DOES sound really good. I'm trying to be really careful about how much I'm spending these days, though I'm guessing it'll be really worth it if this preamp can hold up with the Neves and the APIs.

I didn't check back because I was out getting tubes for my Fender Bassman head... fuckin' stores are a piece of shit sometimes. No WONDER I turn to the internet when I'm in need. I figure I'd give the brick & mortars a chance to live and breathe, but holy shit, nobody knew dick about preamp/power amp tubes. Why is it that I, the consumer, know more than they do?

FAAAAAACK!

Anyhow, yeah, on another note, I threw out an offer to this ebay seller for an RNP for like $425. I'm sure he thinks I'm nuts, but I'm really impressed by this Aphex 207 that RedRocketsGlare showed me.

Kicks ass!!

We'll see what happens

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:27 am

207 man, it is a might good buy for the bread.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:17 am

Yup! I just won it on eBay...

Unfortunately, I could have saved 15% on car insurance by switching to Geico, but I lost out, and the guy went to eBay before I could score the dough, so I paid about $40 more... but I'm sure it's worth it.

I can't wait. I just got my friggin' AT4040 and ran it on my Acoustic... that thing sounds BEAUTIFUL!!! Maybe not as kick ass as your C12 Tube copy, but goddamn man, for the bux, I LOVE this thing.

I'm undertaking a project, and I told the guy about your C12 copy and the Vintech Neve preamp... he's pretty much sold on it so expect us to come by and run through your gear in the next month or so.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:25 am

ChrisCo wrote:Yup! I just won it on eBay...

Unfortunately, I could have saved 15% on car insurance by switching to Geico, but I lost out, and the guy went to eBay before I could score the dough, so I paid about $40 more... but I'm sure it's worth it.

I can't wait. I just got my friggin' AT4040 and ran it on my Acoustic... that thing sounds BEAUTIFUL!!! Maybe not as kick ass as your C12 Tube copy, but goddamn man, for the bux, I LOVE this thing.

I'm undertaking a project, and I told the guy about your C12 copy and the Vintech Neve preamp... he's pretty much sold on it so expect us to come by and run through your gear in the next month or so.
man, AT mics smoke, I love them.