Favorite Acoustic Guitar for Recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ian » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:45 pm

my favorite seems to be smaller body guitars, I've yet to record a dreadnaugtht I have really been happy with...I have an old 85 Taylor 510 that sounds great playing around the house but doesn't record well. I have a beat to shit 64 Gibson B-25 that seems to sound good with whatever I throw in front of it...the sound is just there without too much trouble, plus it also seems to sit well in dense rock style tracks.

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 am

I really like my 1991 seagull S6 with martin silk&steel strings. I'm not sure if I've just grown so used to it, but I can't seem to find a guitar that sounds as nice. It's just so very warm and saturated.
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

meldar produxshunz
gettin' sounds

Post by meldar produxshunz » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:49 pm

as far as i can tell, the are only two REAL acoustic guitar makers today: Martin and Collings. everything else seems like a Taylor i.e. looks reeeeal pretty and sounds total generic and lifeless, just like the robot that made it. as to the different models, i have a D16 which sounds awesome for playing, but can be a bit boomy for recording strumming if the room isnt really dead. i would opt for doing strummed parts on a 00-18 over a dreadnaught body. preferably with rosewood sides for the same reason. mahogany sides sounds big and beautiful but can come across a bit boomy in front of a mic.
waaaaaaaam...doggy.
http://matthewmeldonguitar.com

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Post by dennisjames » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Obviously a bit late since the stolen guitar was recovered, but I never miss a chance to talk about guitars. I have a '71 Guild Jumbo that records like a dream -- very balanced, very full. I love this guitar. I also have an old Slingerland Maybell Archtop that's great for an entirely different sound (I use mostly for lead). It's very distinct and elicits a love/hate response from most folks (heavily slanted on the love side).

However, I thought I'd put in a good word for a guitar maker that makes exceptional instruments. My wife had one made and it's just gorgeous on both the eyes and the ears. It records nice and plays so easy. The company is called Oriskany(www.oriskanyguitars.com) and they're wonderful folks dedicated to the craft. These are really standout instruments for finger-style. I highly recommend them!

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:17 am

Visit many, many music shops.

Play many, many guitars

fall in love
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 am

P.S.

Do NOT play the Martin Eric Clapton Signature model.

(unless you have the big $$$$ to buy it!!)

To my ears it does everthing right, it may spoil you for anything else.

I've barely touched my Yamaha or Sigma since.

I'm only getting calls to play bass anyway, so I fear that level of quality would be wasted on me in any event.

Bill
Irie Lab Sound Studios

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:30 pm

my faves right now are the seagull s6's. if i could afford a taylor, that would be it. i used to use elixir polyweb, but have really grown to love the d'addario exp strings. also, the biggest difference has to be the groove tubes fatfinger!!!

rich

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Bill @ Irie Lab wrote:I've barely touched my Yamaha or Sigma since.
if it's a 1970s FG series Yamaha, you can send it to me. :D
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:08 am

Dear Refd,

It's from that era (early '80s).

Plays nice but a bit of a dog in terms of tone.

It was given to me but may have been have seen use as a canoe paddle (kidding!).

In good shape but kinda dull sounding. Holds its own in an 8 guitar campfire jam, so I think I'll keep it.
Irie Lab Sound Studios

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:25 am

Bill @ Irie Lab wrote:P.S.

Do NOT play the Martin Eric Clapton Signature model.

(unless you have the big $$$$ to buy it!!)

To my ears it does everthing right, it may spoil you for anything else.

Bill
I tried some Martin OM size guitars last week, ended up buying a OM-28V. Lovely instrument! I have yet to touch a pick to its strings, just going fingerstyle these days. That's its comfort zone anyway. We're still getting to know each other!

I have a pre-fender Tacoma dreadnought (from '98 ) for bashin' away, camping, playing out, etc. I thought that the Martin would blow it away in a side by side comparison, but it can hold its own. The bass is nice and tight, not too boomy like some dreads.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 am

Bill @ Irie Lab wrote:Dear Refd,

It's from that era (early '80s).

Plays nice but a bit of a dog in terms of tone.

It was given to me but may have been have seen use as a canoe paddle (kidding!).

In good shape but kinda dull sounding. Holds its own in an 8 guitar campfire jam, so I think I'll keep it.
i was only joking.

but i used to have a Yamaha FG-110 my mom bought for herself in 1974 and it sounded and played great...not dull, not zingy, just right.

guess i got one of the good ones?

i sold it (and many other things i wish i'd kept) to help pay bills when i was really broke a little over 15 years ago.

seller's remorse!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:29 pm

I?m in the midst of the ?visit as many stores/play as many guitars as you can? phase before buying an acoustic. I usually bang around on a mid 90?s Yamaha that doesn?t record too badly. I?d like to buy a guitar that will be heirloom-worthy, but I?m having a hard time finding something that really speaks to me. I like the way the Gibsons feel, but I don?t like the way many of them sound. The Martin I liked best was, unfortunately, an HD-28 ? way out of my league price-wise. Then I strummed some of the nicer, or more expensive Yamahas. Must say that the spruce top, rosewood back/side Yamahas were 85% ?there? to some Martins I fell in love with. Anyone else like the new, higher end Yamahas? Are these and Godin-manufactured guitars like Ford/Mercury in their relative sameness?