Kids with lots of recording equipment

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Kids with lots of recording equipment

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:10 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:Subatomic, I believe that noeqplease was utilizing something called humor. Check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
LazarusLong, I disagree. Welcome to tha interwebz. When we post something that seems earnest, but mean it to be tongue-in-cheek, we use Emoticons. Check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticons
Oh, is THAT what those silly yellow faces are for?

Pray tell... where do I get these famed yellow faces?

:hammer: :rockin: :hammer: :shake: :shake: :shake: :rofl:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote: I invented the song.
I invented self righteous outrage. But unfortunately, subatomic pieces patented it and got it to market first.

:lol: <--- See, an emoticon. It's just humor, people.
And I sell him the barcodes at a discount...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

acoosticzoo
audio school graduate

Gear Superiority Complex

Post by acoosticzoo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:27 pm

I have to admit that I may have GSC, Gear Superiority Complex. I think it's fair to say that maybe some might know what I mean. Better gear = better sound = more hits more success.

Gear is like your business card, it says something about you and your believes in audio processes. These days, image conscious clients do judge you on the gear you have and the rooms you use. I've known of clients demanding to use certain high end mics like a U87? It's human nature to want the best for your money.

Remember like over 10 years ago, Pro tools wasn't looked at seriously as real alternative to SSL's neve's etc, but today we get more or less the same ProTools users claiming other native DAW's r somewhat inferior in terms of work flow. ie. if you wanna go PRO gotta go PRO-Tools.

Fact is, that Money goes a long way terms of gaining an advantage in this field. However, the act of composing beautiful music doesn't need BIG Mics, PreAmps, etc.

Just how good does Jason Mraz sound with Him and just a guitar. Priceless!

At the end of the day, we engineers take what we have and always make the best out of it. It's ironic to compete with gear, cos you'll just end up with Heaps of gear and Heaps more after that.
Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer, Acoostic Zoo Recording Studio
www.acoosticzoo.com

clean_and_humble
takin' a dinner break

Post by clean_and_humble » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:06 pm

tdbajus wrote:maybe you should show your photo around, and get yourself a sugar momma. I recommend it. They're awesome.
Is this is the Outrageous Bajus that I think it is ?

Kel
pluggin' in mics

Post by Kel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:14 am

Haha. Still haven't seen a coherent reason as to why this thread should remain. I'd shut it down Chris. Everyone has a different background, and has different reasons for doing what they do. I don't understand the complaint I guess....

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm

This thread should remain for the animal pictures alone.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

andrewlloydwebern
audio school graduate

Post by andrewlloydwebern » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:26 pm

Whoops - heh, I responded to a post on the original page not realizing it was over 3 months old.

Look, for what it's worth, I've had a similar experience with keyboard gear. I'd go to the Harmony Central keyboard forums and these cats would be posting pics and gear lists that I could roughly estimate at $20,000. Absolute top of the line stuff, and BUCKETS of it. (Meanwhile I was busting my butt to pay the mortgage and feed my family and could only afford "sleeper" equipment that was good "for the price.")

But then after I hung out in that forum a while I realized these guys with all the gear were also the ones posting threads with titles like "Why Can't I Ever Finish A Song?" "I Need Inspiration" and "How Do You Get Motivated to Record?"

Meanwhile, I was cranking along with my budget prosumer gear. There's many ways to value yourself and what you do - if your metric is shiny toys, then yeah, you're gonna feel bad. If your metric is that you try to be awesome on a consistent basis, then you can feel good about yourself.

Or, to look at it another way, there's things I can control, and things I can't control. I can control how hard I work and what I put into my brain and what I spend my time on. I can't control how much disposable income someone else has. Big picture, THEIR disposable income doesn't affect me (unless I let it) (or unless they're Robert Redford and offer me a million dollars to sleep with my wife).

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm

^^^ Good post...very well put..