Metallica In Studio - Info

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:53 pm

farview wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote: question for people who record metal: presumably your drummers all play double bass. do you usually have two bass drums or do they use a double pedal on one? i ask because of the pic of lars' kit on the AJFA sessions, where he has two kicks. this seems crazy to me, wouldn't it be way easier to have one drum you need to keep in tune instead of two?
I prefer to record two separate kicks. When played very quickly, a single kick can get really muddy. It is easier to mic a single kick, but if the drummer is really busy it does lose definition.

Also, some drummers have a habit of resting the beater on the head, which will change the tone of a single kick, if the guy is resting the left beater on the head.

It's also easier to re-trigger two separate kicks, if you need to.

The tone/tuning issues that come from having two physical drums normally isn't much of a issue and can be EQ'ed away. Because of the different points which the two beaters hit thehead, there is always a tone difference anyway. Worst case scenario, you can sample the main kick and trigger the second kick with the sample of the first.
Yeah, pretty much. I was talking to my drummer about this a while ago. If you're playing really fast kick the drum doesn't have enough time to breath back in the air you pushed out of it.

He also said some drummers purposely tune the second kick just a tad different to make it more distinct.

As far as dogging on the black album I think fans think of that album as the one where they lost their edge. I used to say that Bob Rock ruined that band. I'm not so sure about that now. I do think sonically it sounded very good. I love the snare sound on that record.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Neal wrote: I always wondered if Lars worked really hard to get those drums down, got the record out and felt really good, then heard Reign In Blood and went "oh... :cry: "
I bet. You did know they had to loop a drum part in To Live Is To Die, right? He couldn't keep up that double bass long enough. Go back and listen to it. It'll stand out like you wouldn't believe.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:41 pm

evilaudio wrote: Very awesome interesting reading with all this! MY introduction to Flemming Rasmussen was with Morbid Angel's "Covenant" album and other work with the band...
I put MOP in last night and admit I was a bit surprised at the sound, being a fairly experienced metal music listener. But it sounded good to me! That's probably what I like about it - it sounds unique, albeit a little weird... Seems like it's mostly in the drums. Kicks are definitely not what you'd expect for an album like this. RE20 is a strange choice IMO (for metal)... I love the spaciousness around the drums too - probably from that room! The guitars sound really good (it IS a guitar-album, though), bass is barely there (typical!) and vocals are doubled the whole time and weird (that's more of a personal thing for me). It is what it is. I'll check out Ride... next and see...
Gotta say (as I've said a million times before) "Covenant" is one of my favorite albums of all time. Probably the best death metal album ever.

Ive never really noticed the vocal doubling on Puppets. I'll have to sit and listen again. It's been quite some time. I have noticed on certain stereos that the vocals on Justice sound really fucking strange, but not as much on other stereos. Is there some sort of ADT on there, or is it truly doubled all the way through? If the vox on both those albums are really doubled all the way... wow. I can't remember hearing anything that made me think "that's totally doubled" like some records.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote: question for people who record metal: presumably your drummers all play double bass. do you usually have two bass drums or do they use a double pedal on one? i ask because of the pic of lars' kit on the AJFA sessions, where he has two kicks. this seems crazy to me, wouldn't it be way easier to have one drum you need to keep in tune instead of two?
Recording metal with two kicks can be a blast. The drummer in my band has been talking about getting another kick for a while (even though he uses triggers too) cuz you get way more impact out of two kicks. Tuning can be an issue, but it's always an issue with drums. Like suppositron said, it can be better for them to be tuned a little different.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:47 pm

I bet. You did know they had to loop a drum part in To Live Is To Die, right? He couldn't keep up that double bass long enough. Go back and listen to it. It'll stand out like you wouldn't believe.
Correction: Dyer's Eve
Gotta say (as I've said a million times before) "Covenant" is one of my favorite albums of all time. Probably the best death metal album ever.
Correction: Left Hand Path

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:54 pm

ha, i was raising an eyebrow at the drums on dyer's eve just the other day.

but how awesome is the half time section right after the solo? so, so good.

vox are doubled for sure throughout rtl/mop/ajfa.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Bro Shark wrote:
Correction: Dyer's Eve

[/i]
Whoops. Yeah that's it.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm

another question for people who record metal: can you talk about your approach to rhythm guitars? are you typically eqing at the board/itb or are you able to go with the eq on the amp? what sort of compression, if any, is necessary? i'm guessing there can be pretty big dynamic swings between the palm muted stuff and the chordy bits? is cabinet resonance problematic? how many tracks do you like to do and how do you typically arrange them in the mix?

what about bass? metal bass always sounds pretty scooped, these days anyway. are you generally cutting that an octave down from the guitars? like guitars are scooped between 400-800 and bass between 200-400?

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:31 pm

yah, MSE, those are good questions. if i could add mine- i was curious about typical volume level of the rhythm guitars, and if solid state amps ever get used? are there even any decent SS guitar amps out there?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:another question for people who record metal: can you talk about your approach to rhythm guitars? are you typically eqing at the board/itb or are you able to go with the eq on the amp? what sort of compression, if any, is necessary? i'm guessing there can be pretty big dynamic swings between the palm muted stuff and the chordy bits? is cabinet resonance problematic? how many tracks do you like to do and how do you typically arrange them in the mix?

what about bass? metal bass always sounds pretty scooped, these days anyway. are you generally cutting that an octave down from the guitars? like guitars are scooped between 400-800 and bass between 200-400?
I've recorded a few metal bands lately, including one this past weekend (not that I'm claiming to be a huge expert, just sharing my experience). My approach for the guitars wasn't really any different than for any other style. The guys came in with their own (huge) amps - a Sunn and a Mesa. The guys had really spent time on their own getting gear that really sounds how they want it in the room, and also meshes with the rest of the band's equipment. Because of this, it was a piece of cake to record. We put up an SM7, SM57, Sennheiser 441 and 421, along with an MXL 603 as a room mic. By combining the 441, the SM7, and the 603, we got a sound that was really close to how it sounded in the room. EQ-wise I cut bit around 200hz and lower with a shelf, and I did bring up the high end a very small amount too so they had a bit more clarity to balance with all the "heaviness" of the low/mids. I didn't use any compression going in, but in mixing I put just a bit of compression on both rhythm guitars separately, to give a little sustain in some parts that needed it. There's definitely a difference between chugging and chord parts (and this band switched a LOT), but in my experience it's only ever a problem in the low end, so adding that bit of a shelf was enough that it wasn't an issue. We didn't have any issues with cab resonance, and I've never had any trouble with it before. The band, who had two guitar players including the singer, wanted their guitars separately hard panned. No doubling, just one player's guitars on one side and one on the other. That's actually my personal favorite way to go, though originally I tried hard panning one mic of each guitar, then putting the room mics a bit toward the opposite side, and the other close mics center. This gave things a pretty thick, spread out sound, which worked equally well, we just went the other way with it.

Bass in metal, what an interesting thing! The rig the guy brought this weekend was as close to how a bass in a metal mix sounds when finished as I've ever heard. It was a 300W Ampeg SVT (which blew one of my mic pres!). HUGE low end, but a crazy amount of high end, which is key. I haven't really needed any EQ in the mix. A bit of compression to balance out when the player slides up to those high notes and it just rings out like crazy. Mic-wise we tried a 57, D112, and MD421. We ended up using the 57 and D112 - the 57 filled the hole in frequencies that the scooped response of the D112 has. At that point everything sounded great, but while the high end was there, it was missing something up top. We put the same SDC - the MXL 603, as a room mic, and boom, there it was. The bass room mic was higher in the mix than it was for the guitars.

Mixing this band's music has taken less processing than anything I've ever mixed, which is amazing for metal. I've recorded other bands and have to spend a LOT of time working with high end in bass and guitars to make things sound present and clear without being fizzy. And the reverse with low end - heavy but not muddy. It can be a treat or a disaster!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:another question for people who record metal: can you talk about your approach to rhythm guitars? are you typically eqing at the board/itb or are you able to go with the eq on the amp? what sort of compression, if any, is necessary? i'm guessing there can be pretty big dynamic swings between the palm muted stuff and the chordy bits? is cabinet resonance problematic? how many tracks do you like to do and how do you typically arrange them in the mix?

such a huge topic. If the guitarist has his sound together and it mixes well with the tones of the other instruments, your battle is half won. I think before touching an eq on the board or in the box, time should be spent choosing the right mic/mics and getting them in the right spot(s) is crucial (assuming mics and time are available). EQing in the mix can be subtle or extreme. A similar frequency strategy to what you said, cutting guitars at 400-800 and the bass at 200-400, works pretty well for my band actually, but I have a lot of mids coming out of my amp. Some guys don't. I'm not really talking a big scoop, maybe 3db. Some guitar/amp/speaker/mic combinations may very well dictate that you need to boost some shit at 800. A little compression or even limiting can be useful, but can make amps sound weird sometimes too. The studio where I go to school has a Manley Vari-Mu that you can do some cool stuff with. If the guitar play is switching channels or effects while tracking, using a limiter might be a good idea, just to catch something before it clips your input if his amp suddenly gets louder, especially tracking to digital. With some gear though, overloading your inputs can sound awesome. Mutiband compression can be your friend if you have that luxury. Millions of variables. Some recordings you might want an accurate picture of the amp. Others you might want to process the piss out of. Just like anything else I suppose.

If you haven't seen this, it's worth a read:
http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html

Back to the topic of Metallica, am I the only one who thinks the rhythm guitar tone on Kill em All is the shit?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:46 pm

kill 'em all in general is the shit. if all records had as much spirit as that one...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:31 pm

On bass on heavy music I've been pretty psyched on using a two mics on the amp. one for treble and one for bass. A bright mic on one speaker, hi passing it at 100hz or so. On it's own it doesn't sounds that great, kinda like the bassist is playing out of a guitar amp. Then a mic with a hefty amount of low end on an other speaker. When mixing you the "treble mic" for definition through all the craziness, and pull up the bass to add the meat. I like smashing the mics right on the grill too.
Putting compression on the "bass mic" is usually cool. Sometimes sidechaining it to the kick drum is cool too. Multiband also can be cool.

You can also do the same thing with a Sansamp and a DI. Use the Sansamp as the treble end and put a hipass filter on it and us the DI for the bass and maybe put a lowpass filter on it and compress the DI.

Just personal taste but I like distorted bass too, anything from just a little growly sounding to over the top Godflesh type distortion.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Brett Siler wrote:Just personal taste but I like distorted bass too, anything from just a little growly sounding to over the top Godflesh type distortion.
+1. I forgot to mention that this bass player had a few effects that he used tastefully. He had an Xotic Bass BB that he used to add a smidge of compression/grit that he left on the whole. Time he had some other effects - Swollen Pickle, Agro, Morley Power Wah, and some others. He said he wanted to add the effects after getting a really solid clean performance, so when recording the amp we also took the bass direct. We then reamped right there and recorded that with the same mics, so the only thing that changed is he could press the pedals when he needed to and not be focusing on the playing. He had adjusted the pedals beforehand so everything was at unit, so we didn't get a big drop from the compression of his fuzz pedal, etc. Then I edited in the reamped sections just like they were a punch-in, worked beautifully.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:17 am

These are pretty broad questions with no definitive answers. It depends on what type of metal guitar tone you are talking about. I can tell you what I generally do...

My normal mic setup is a 57 pointed at where the dust cap meets the cone and a 421 about halfway up the cone. My favorite preamp for guitar at the moment is an Amek 9098. I have the amp in the control room and the cab in the live room. I dial in the amp to get a relatively balanced distorted sound that is darker than you want it to end up. No EQ on the way in.

I have them record two of the same rhythm tracks and pan them hard. If there is another guitar part that does a melody or something completely different, that gets recorded once and goes up the middle. Of course, that all depends on what the parts are and how they need to fit together, but the idea is to have a balanced wall of guitar with as few performances as possible.

In the mix, I will buss the rhythm guitars to a group channel and add EQ there. Most of the time I only end up adding a bunch of high shelf at around 8k or so.

The idea behind recording the guitars dark and adding so much in the mix is, if you run the guitar amp really bright, the speaker breakup can get really spikey sounding. If the speakers are naturally breaking up with lows and mids, the breakup creates a smooth high end content that sounds nice when you EQ it up. Also, when you set the amp like that, the dynamic difference from palm muting is a lot less. One of the reasons why it seems that everyone is using Mesa amps is because those amps compress before they get fuzzy (the opposite of a Marshall). So the palm muting thing isn't as big of an issue.

The only time I run into dynamic problems with palm muting is when the guitar player is using some sort of amp sim/pedal/solid state amp. In that case, I use a compressor after the EQ with the attack and release set as fast as possible. That in combination with some low shelf is ussually enough to keep it under control.

With bass, depending on what the mix needs, I generally boost a little 800hz and 3k. If it is sounding thin, I'll add som 50hz and run that into a compressor to smooth out the dynamics. Of course I'll try to dial the amp in to get the sound needed. With metal, a lot of times the bass is distorted and doesn't need that much compression anyway. Think SVT set on 'stun'.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:25 am

nobody, really wrote:yah, MSE, those are good questions. if i could add mine- i was curious about typical volume level of the rhythm guitars, and if solid state amps ever get used? are there even any decent SS guitar amps out there?
The volume level depends on a few things.
1. What cab/speakers you are using
2. How much power amp distortion vs. preamp distortion you are going for
3. How much speaker breakup you want.

there are many differnt types of distortion that would be considered 'metal'. AC/DC is almost all power amp and speaker breakup. Zakk Wylde is almost all preamp breakup (He uses 100 watt heads and has his cabinets loaded with EV's). Everything else lives somewhere between those two.

Solid state amps get used all the time, but it isn't really in the majority. The Peavey XXX and the line 6 amps and PODs get used a lot, as do those Boss all-in-one floor boards and digitech and rocktron rack units. Sometimes they are recorded direct, sometimes through solid state or tube power amps and cabs.

You can get a metal sound out of a solid state amp, depending on your idea of a metal sound. Darrell from Pantera used solid state Randall's the entire time he was in Pantera. He only switched to tube a couple weeks before he was murdered...