Hidden Treasure Mics- Post Yours!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 am

Crown GML 100 on upright bass. I usually tape it to the back of the fretboard, hanging down about an inch below where it ends. It moves with the player if they move around a lot and it doesn't get in the way if they want to use a bow. It also sounds like an upright bass.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:56 pm

That would be a GLM-100...

"Great Little Mic" as I remember...

And thanks for that tip.....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Oh yeah. I just had my GML serviced, so I've got that set of letters on the brain. I didn't realize GLM stood for "Great Little Mic." That's cool and accurate.

Those mics totally saved me in a pinch one time. I was hired to do a live remote recording for what I thought was going to be a jazz piano trio. When I showed up, I found out that the band leader had forgotten to tell me that they were going to have a guest trumpet player/vocalist. Informing me of this made me re-think my mic setup and I had to go without what I had planned on using as ambient mics. I happened to have both my GLM 100s with me and wound up taping them to the floor at the front corners of the stage. They worked great and sounded terrific in context.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:33 am

Has anyone used the EV 1710 at all? Just got one off Ebay and I'm getting the EV 635A too.

http://www.coutant.org/data/1710.pdf

Not really a vintage treasure, but one of my fave mics is the Kel Audio HM-1. Sounds great as overheads and for really crunchy guitars. It's a really unique mic.
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:12 am

I've been messing around with my transformerless 58 lately and have really been enjoying the results. Nice on brass, guitars and (oddly) kick drum. Sort of like a 421 on "M" setting.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:01 pm

double plus good on the M69. Much cheaper than an M88. Not quite the same but will get you in the neighborhood.
I love contact mics. I use them all the time to get something extra out of drums, amps, pianos, cars, bikes.
I really like my awful Grundig and Sony consumer mics. I wouldnt want to record a track with just them, but they can be used to season a track nicely.
I also think GT mics are underrated. Aspen Pitman is a mad genius. Not just about tubes.
Sennheiser K3u/ME20 or ME40 makes a nice sound on lots of things. Guitar, piana, cymbals.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:13 pm

I used an old GT something or other back in Dallas in about 1997. It sounded pretty good at the time but it's been years.
Last edited by getreel on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:08 am

I recently discovered the AKG D224E, a dual-element dynamic that sounds like a condenser. Amazing on drums. I found five of them in a local pawn shop last month.

strdsk
re-cappin' neve

Post by strdsk » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Shure SM7 on guitar cabs, snares, and vox. Oktava Mk012 pre with the 102 large diaphragm capsules on em' for overheads on drums and tom tom work. Killer sounding and affordable combo. JD!

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

mxl

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:47 pm

honestly, the MXL 990 is the best for my voice and micing toms. I almost whish it wasn't so I could justify buying high dollar microphones. well... who am I kidding? I'll but them anyway...
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

strdsk
re-cappin' neve

Post by strdsk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Lol! I'll tell you what...the MXL 1006 is a bad mama jamma and it only sold new for $60.00. JD!

aaronburr
gettin' sounds

Post by aaronburr » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:47 pm

i have two hidden treasures...

one is a realistic mic from the 70s (i think). its not one of the round top highball ones but looks more squared-off and is a tan/brown color. ill have to figure out the model, because its GREAT on bass and nice on snares too.

also, the jensen speaker in my '58 ampeg jet makes and awesome kick drum mic i just found out last night. mix it with another mic picking up the sound of the beater, and youve got a huge kick sound!

strdsk
re-cappin' neve

Post by strdsk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:55 pm

rjd2
steve albini likes it

Post by rjd2 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Kilroy wrote:i have a Realistic omni dynamic mic which i used on an upright really close to the back and got a really cool piano sound. I cant wait to use this on other things as soon as i get my home studio back up and running
which model? ive got a decent collection of these-pretty into em. curious which ones you have luck with.