Reluctant to drop cash on a ?Flashy? LDC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:23 am

Ryan Silva wrote:So I found a Red Type A (b-stock) w/ an R7 cap. for $1600 on Front End Audio, and pulled the trigger. Should here tomorrow. Well I think with the versatility and "good looks :wink: " of the Red I should be good on bling for awhile.

I'll report back

Thanks
So I take it you've been convinced and are no longer reluctant! :)

Let us know how you like it. Seems like a cool mic. Never used a Red though.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:10 am

kingmetal wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:havent you ever done the "producer" trick? When that "Producer" or rather the guitarists girlfriends cousin wants to put their finger in the pie. Just hook up a graphic eq or comp on a mult of the 2bus.
But dont patch the returns!
Then they can twiddle knobs and psychoacoustics does the rest.
One of my early "instructors" told me to use my monitor channels while tracking to do this. He was convinced that was all the monitor channels were good for. He said it was particularly good for bassplayers who wander in to the control room.
hey! hey! HEY! I resemble that comment!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:
kingmetal wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:havent you ever done the "producer" trick? When that "Producer" or rather the guitarists girlfriends cousin wants to put their finger in the pie. Just hook up a graphic eq or comp on a mult of the 2bus.
But dont patch the returns!
Then they can twiddle knobs and psychoacoustics does the rest.
One of my early "instructors" told me to use my monitor channels while tracking to do this. He was convinced that was all the monitor channels were good for. He said it was particularly good for bassplayers who wander in to the control room.
hey! hey! HEY! I resemble that comment!
resemble.....or RESENT!

cause you're a bass player right.... :lol:

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:55 pm

yeah I play bass primarily, though not exclusively.
My former band was just bass, vocals and drums. When asked why I would say we were prejudiced against all guitars, we were "guitar-ist".
Basses are geneticaly superior right? I mean they are bigger!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:59 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Basses are geneticaly superior right? I mean they are bigger!
So was the giant tree sloth, which went extinct.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 pm

man you obviously havent watched the latest episode of monsterquest. There is apparently a giant 3 toed bass player living in the Atchafalaya basin of Louisiana. His feral bass soloes have been heard by hunters and fishers. they found discarded bass strings and 1980's era issues of Bassplayer magazine with Billy Sheehan on the cover.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:20 pm

:lol:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:08 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:yeah I play bass primarily, though not exclusively.
My former band was just bass, vocals and drums. When asked why I would say we were prejudiced against all guitars, we were "guitar-ist".
Basses are geneticaly superior right? I mean they are bigger!
that's awesome. wish i had known that one.. "guitar-ist" that's better than guitarded. .. played in a band with two basses and no 6 string guitars... sound dooods were always confused.."where is your lead geetar???" we have two bass guitars.... "no you know, like regular geetar...." don't have one... "what? you have to have a geeetar!" well we don't.... "which one is the lead bass geetar then??" neither, they're equal....

5 minutes later..

hey we need 5 vocal mics....

"FIVE VOCAL MICS??? which one of you is the lead singer??" uhh, no one is lead, we all do about the same, cept for her, put hella reverb on her voice.. she sings and the rest of us scream....

I really don't miss it much at all.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:15 pm

"feral bass solos"

dude....that's comedy gold

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:55 pm

trodden wrote: . .. played in a band with two basses and no 6 string guitars... sound dooods were always confused.."where is your lead geetar???" we have two bass guitars.... "no you know, like regular geetar...." don't have one... "what? you have to have a geeetar!" well we don't.... "which one is the lead bass geetar then??" neither, they're equal....

5 minutes later..

"FIVE VOCAL MICS??? which one of you is the lead singer??" uhh, no one is lead, we all do about the same, cept for her, put hella reverb on her voice.. she sings and the rest of us scream....

I used to really hate doing sound for bands like that. See I have BEEN in lots of bands with no guitarist, two bassist, an accordian, MG1 etc. I am one of those guys! I am not just another sound guy! So clue me in dude, I only have one DI and one E609, who gets the mic and how gets the DI.
"oh we are both the same amount of lead and melody". Which always turned out to be horseshit. There was always one guy who left his bass fuzzed out the whole time, and the other guy doing his best Peter Hook.
After a while I just started looking at their amp set ups. The guys with the fuzz would have more moderate EQ usually, the cleanish guys usually had crazy mid cuts with tons of high eq.
ott0bot wrote:"feral bass solos"

Thanks I'll be hear all week. Be sure and take advantage of our world famous (in Reno at least) Manhattans, and tip you server!
thank you
thank you

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:47 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:
trodden wrote: . .. played in a band with two basses and no 6 string guitars... sound dooods were always confused.."where is your lead geetar???" we have two bass guitars.... "no you know, like regular geetar...." don't have one... "what? you have to have a geeetar!" well we don't.... "which one is the lead bass geetar then??" neither, they're equal....

5 minutes later..

I used to really hate doing sound for bands like that. See I have BEEN in lots of bands with no guitarist, two bassist, an accordian, MG1 etc. I am one of those guys! I am not just another sound guy! So clue me in dude, I only have one DI and one E609, who gets the mic and how gets the DI.
"oh we are both the same amount of lead and melody". Which always turned out to be horseshit. There was always one guy who left his bass fuzzed out the whole time, and the other guy doing his best Peter Hook.
After a while I just started looking at their amp set ups. The guys with the fuzz would have more moderate EQ usually, the cleanish guys usually had crazy mid cuts with tons of high eq.
ott0bot wrote:"feral bass solos"

Thanks I'll be hear all week. Be sure and take advantage of our world famous (in Reno at least) Manhattans, and tip you server!
thank you
thank you
just put a 57 or whatever on each cab and save the DI for the keyboards.. its that easy...

and the thing, for every tour and show for the last 8 years or so.. i would send out an info sheet to promoters/sound people to give them a heads up of our needs.. did any of these people look at them... hardly.. i also brought a handful of 58's and 57's and cables, and stands to every show... i was prepared for it.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:38 pm

Those kind of bands were always awesome, oh you want 5 vocals, and you have your own mics? You will set them up yourself? You got here at 5pm so you could soundcheck? You dont mind turning your amps down?
Really, why are so many bands so pigheaded?
Sure I remember what it was like when I was 20 years old and I was sure I was the next Jaco/Jimi/Bonham, my music was gonna change the world blah blah blah. yeah hormones are hilarious. More bands should be cooperative with their sound guys instead of treatin them like an impediment.
It's funny I have worked with bluegrass/folk acts that were fuckers, and hardcore thrash punk bands that were retarded co-operative. "Sure man, we'll put the amps on just one cab, the full stacks are for show anyway! "
That all said, when you do sound 7 days a week, the 2 basses and pennywhistle act is a treat!
Like some Mexican punk band I did sound for in SF a couple times, they played punk rock, but also had a whole set on guitarron, quarto and hand percussion (apologize for my honkey-bad spelling, we dont learn us no 2nd language in 'merica!)

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:10 pm

ott0bot wrote:
Ryan Silva wrote:So I found a Red Type A (b-stock) w/ an R7 cap. for $1600 on Front End Audio, and pulled the trigger. Should here tomorrow. Well I think with the versatility and "good looks :wink: " of the Red I should be good on bling for awhile.

I'll report back

Thanks
So I take it you've been convinced and are no longer reluctant! :)

Let us know how you like it. Seems like a cool mic. Never used a Red though.
Well as much as I have enjoyed the vocal sounds I got out of my 414 buls, I think I worked way too hard. The Red Type A with the R7 cap (U47 clone) makes vocals way too easy; even off axis it sounds wonderful. Sooo smooth in the mid-range controls sibilance very well.

I also tried it on acoustic and it worked great with a little compression.

I will continue to provide data as I collect it.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho