let's talk spring reverbs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:50 pm

I did an even cruder homebrew reverb a while ago. I had a big old mahogany zither that was warped pretty bad in a spot or two. The strings were old and funky, pretty unplayable. So I screwed a small speaker into the back of it and put a contact mic on the other end.
It kinda worked but I got more "wood" and less "string" than I would have wanted. I suppose I should have built an armature and somehow attached it to a rod or somethign that would excite all the strings directly.
I also used to put it next to an amp with the conact mic on it. That worked a bit better for the reverb but I would have to put it on some foam or somethign to isolate it a little. Totally silly at that point.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:34 pm

just did a test with my reverb again. i did have to crank the shit out of my preamp to get good signal out of the accutronics ran straight. i did however have some radio design labs preamps for a shelved PZM project and this worked out great. i ran it on the output of the tank, but i am wondering what it would sound like with more level on the way in. i don't want to damage it, though. it seems to be working out just fine currently. i will be using the same preamp rig for my plate reverb project coming up soon.

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=64

i will attempt to build a passive blend circuit for both as well.

rich

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:03 pm

T-rex wrote:

I usually predelay it with my effectrons with a bit of modulation and it rules on vocals and of course guitars and anything non-percussive, although I usually dial in a bit on my snare drum too.
what setting do you use on the effectrons??
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:42 am

Honestly, just whatever sounds good at the time. I usualy set the delay time so that the vox or whatever is clear a bit before the verb comes in and add just a bit of modulation. Oh and the delay maybe just a hair above one delay, so it washes into the spring a bit instead of just being a time delay to push the verb back 30 ms or whatever after the main vocal. Someone mentioned that Chriss Walla would do this with several repeats to get these puffs of reverb and that can be really cool also.

The best sound I have ever gotten was using two effectrons running to the stereo spring verb with each one just a little different delay time and modulation. That sounded super lush if you are going for that type of thing. Does that rambling make any sense at all?
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:08 pm

T-rex wrote:
The best sound I have ever gotten was using two effectrons running to the stereo spring verb with each one just a little different delay time and modulation. That sounded super lush if you are going for that type of thing. Does that rambling make any sense at all?
not really lol but I guess I'll be experimenting!

now in glorious HD3

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:40 pm

Let me try that again. If this is too basic or whatever I apologize!

For delaying the reverb send I am doing two things with the effectrons that people have done since the beginning of time. You set the feedback to give you one single repeat, then you set that one repeat's delay time at say 30 ms. You send the vocal to that from an aux send and you get the vocalist saying "Hey" and then 30 ms later you get the delay'd vocal saying "Hey". You send the delayed vocal to the spring reverb and then you get the main vocal saying "Hey" and 30 ms later you get the reverbed vocal saying "Hey". 30 ms is just an example, you have to play with th delay time until you main vocal is nice and audible before the reverb kicks in. The tempo of the song will change how much you delay the reverb and you may not want to delay the reverb at all, it's just an aesthetic choice. Keep turning the delay time back and forth on the till it sounds the best with the reverb.

Secondly, the spring reverb is great but maybe a little static sounding. So you can modulate the reverb by using the modulation on the effectron. Set it up just like above, but start messing with the modulation and just listen to the reverb to see how it sounds. Then listen to the reverb with the vocal and see what you think. Subtly used it just makes the reverb move a little, crank the modulation up and you can get some craziness.

Finally, you can turn the feedback up so instead of just one delayed repeat you have a couple of repeats or a wash of repeats going into the spring reverb and see how that sounds. Have fun!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:44 pm

T-rex wrote:Let me try that again. If this is too basic or whatever I apologize!

For delaying the reverb send I am doing two things with the effectrons that people have done since the beginning of time. You set the feedback to give you one single repeat, then you set that one repeat's delay time at say 30 ms. You send the vocal to that from an aux send and you get the vocalist saying "Hey" and then 30 ms later you get the delay'd vocal saying "Hey". You send the delayed vocal to the spring reverb and then you get the main vocal saying "Hey" and 30 ms later you get the reverbed vocal saying "Hey". 30 ms is just an example, you have to play with th delay time until you main vocal is nice and audible before the reverb kicks in. The tempo of the song will change how much you delay the reverb and you may not want to delay the reverb at all, it's just an aesthetic choice. Keep turning the delay time back and forth on the till it sounds the best with the reverb.

Secondly, the spring reverb is great but maybe a little static sounding. So you can modulate the reverb by using the modulation on the effectron. Set it up just like above, but start messing with the modulation and just listen to the reverb to see how it sounds. Then listen to the reverb with the vocal and see what you think. Subtly used it just makes the reverb move a little, crank the modulation up and you can get some craziness.

Finally, you can turn the feedback up so instead of just one delayed repeat you have a couple of repeats or a wash of repeats going into the spring reverb and see how that sounds. Have fun!
Awesome! Sarcastic and helpful all at once. You are my hero.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:45 pm

junkshop wrote:
T-rex wrote:Let me try that again. If this is too basic or whatever I apologize!

Awesome! Sarcastic and helpful all at once. You are my hero.
P.S. I'm not kidding, I really mean it.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Seriously I was not being sarcastic at all, I was just trying to explain what I do. But I always feel like I am explaining something to people who probably know way more than I do. I just know what I do!

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:19 pm

T-rex wrote:Seriously I was not being sarcastic at all, I was just trying to explain what I do. But I always feel like I am explaining something to people who probably know way more than I do. I just know what I do!
I didn't see the sarcasm either and he was answering me.
He was just clarifying his earlier less than clear explanation.
Now I get it...
thanks

now in glorious HD3

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks for the hero thing though, cause I do love some good sarcasm from time to time!