Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:13 pm

trodden wrote:
shedshrine wrote:
dwlb wrote:
shedshrine wrote:It's matsumoku made, but it's a Westone Thunder 1-A. Really solid.

Right, Electra "became" Westone in the mid-'80s. They were Electra/Westone for a little while. Same basic body style as an Electra Phoenix bass, then.

EDIT: Looks like yours is similar to the X635: http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/x635.php
Thanks for the schooling. 8) I'm going to tell him about his ancestry tonight.
my bandmate has a westone bass that has a switchable fretted/fretless necks. Pretty cool sounding bass, but he just bought a Thunderbird.. unfortunately its NOT the Nikki Sixx version..

Ha! I've got that too, it's the Westone Spectrum LX. It's the one lying flat on the sofa in front of the others in the very first post. Got mine used, no case, beat up body with pristine fretless neck. I think the previous owner(s) rocked the fretted one right off the thing.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:17 pm

who did that explorer get in a fight with?
I bought that from some kid in ohio who had been going thru a green day/rancid inspired "punk" phase and had been playing it with a screwdriver...he had also sharpied an anarchy symbol under the volume knob which you can sort of make out in that pic...embarassing....the good news is its an awesome player and only cost me $200...its an '83.
me make purty musick!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:46 pm

shedshrine wrote: Ha! I've got that too, it's the Westone Spectrum LX. It's the one lying flat on the sofa in front of the others in the very first post. Got mine used, no case, beat up body with pristine fretless neck. I think the previous owner(s) rocked the fretted one right off the thing.
TOTALLY, didn't notice it in your TINY picture. There are two bassists in the band i play in. First owner of the LX plays fretless and then he got a G&L and gave the LX to the guy in the picture, who plays fretted, so the bass has gotten a lot of use over the past 12-13 years between the two. Sadly, now its just "the backup".

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:55 pm

trodden wrote:
shedshrine wrote: Ha! I've got that too, it's the Westone Spectrum LX. It's the one lying flat on the sofa in front of the others in the very first post. Got mine used, no case, beat up body with pristine fretless neck. I think the previous owner(s) rocked the fretted one right off the thing.
TOTALLY, didn't notice it in your TINY picture. There are two bassists in the band i play in. First owner of the LX plays fretless and then he got a G&L and gave the LX to the guy in the picture, who plays fretted, so the bass has gotten a lot of use over the past 12-13 years between the two. Sadly, now its just "the backup".
I dare you to click on that little picture.. :lol:

Say, aren't you going to Japan soon?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:09 pm

shedshrine wrote:
trodden wrote:
I dare you to click on that little picture.. :lol:

Say, aren't you going to Japan soon?
Woah LOOK AT YOU! awesome.

Well Japan has been called off, band is taking a bit of a hiatus since November 1. some tensions here and there... and after an "ok" west coast tour, some people came to the idea that they need a break. Been together for over 10 years so its expected.. however, with that break, means Japan has to go on hold. We are playing some shows in March with the Japanese band, Birushanah, who invited us, they'll be over here Feb-March for a west coast tour, http://www.myspace.com/birushanah They'll in the bay area as well, def check them out.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Well Japan has been called off, band is taking a bit of a hiatus since November 1. some tensions here and there...
dude...you guys need to kiss and make-up, agree to disagree, make a pact not to speak to each other or ride in separate vans or something...whatever it takes. Japan man! we are talking sushi, godzilla, sake, robots to tend to your every need, screaming japanese chicks who think you're the beatles, weird electronic gadgets and instruments you've never even dreamed off...
me make purty musick!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:31 pm

chovie d wrote:
Well Japan has been called off, band is taking a bit of a hiatus since November 1. some tensions here and there...
dude...you guys need to kiss and make-up, agree to disagree, make a pact not to speak to each other or ride in separate vans or something...whatever it takes. Japan man! we are talking sushi, godzilla, sake, robots to tend to your every need, screaming japanese chicks who think you're the beatles, weird electronic gadgets and instruments you've never even dreamed off...
dude, i know. it sucks. its been discussed. sucks badtown. i was really looking forward to screaming Japanese girls and the robots. hella into those things.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:06 pm

trodden wrote: i was really looking forward to screaming Japanese girls and the robots. hella into those things.
I married one. Fortunately rarely screams (in anger)..
Hope you get over there, it's definitely a trip. Will definitely check out any of your SF shows if I can.

(sigh)

I KA wonder if anyone hasYA any GUM baritone guitar pictures.

...and the variax too
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:23 pm

My collection is humble, be gentle.

L-R:

'00 Tele (Mexico)
'06 Squier Affinity Series Bronco Bass (Going to be a project bass, but I have yet to do much with it... suggestions welcome)
'07 Mustang Bass (Japan)
'75 Epi acoustic (Completely crappy but I love it for some reason)
'00 Fender Cyclone (Mexico)

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 pm

thieves wrote:My collection is humble, be gentle.

Your mission, should you accept it, is to attempt to describe what you love about this instrument, to the best of your ability. Godspeed, son.

Be gentle? I am embarrassed that I don't even possess an acoustic :oops: . I really liked an Art and Lutherie I tried recently, but I grabbed that Westone instead. There were 8 of those and just one westone, so..

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:49 pm

shedshrine wrote:
thieves wrote:My collection is humble, be gentle.

Your mission, should you accept it, is to attempt to describe what you love about this instrument, to the best of your ability. Godspeed, son.

Be gentle? I am embarrassed that I don't even possess an acoustic :oops: . I really liked an Art and Lutherie I tried recently, but I grabbed that Westone instead. There were 8 of those and just one westone, so..
Well, I bought it down in South Carolina in a pawn shop a few weeks before my grandmother died. I've put in a lot of hours trying to get the setup right, doing lots of shimming, sanding and truss rod adjusting. it's still pretty tough to play, but i get inspired every time i pick it up.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:40 pm

thieves wrote:
shedshrine wrote:
thieves wrote:

Well, I bought it down in South Carolina in a pawn shop a few weeks before my grandmother died. I've put in a lot of hours trying to get the setup right, doing lots of shimming, sanding and truss rod adjusting. it's still pretty tough to play, but i get inspired every time i pick it up.
Looks promising, let's see. Hmm...add the 6 and the 2...carry the four.. multiply the intent by the aspiration.. throw in some new strings...

Yep, perfect score!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:17 pm

--

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:02 pm

i've been interested in the Art and Lutherie parlor-sized guitar but there doesn't seem to be anyone carrying them where i live anymore.

is there any place to mail-order Art and Lutherie stuff?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Please excuse the photos...

This is my 1999 Fender Mexican Strat. Sperzels, Wilkinson bridge, Dimarzio Virtual Blues in the neck, Virtual Vintage in the middle, and a Duncan JB Jr in the bridge.

2003 Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, stock.

2003 Fender CIJ Jaguar, stock

2004 Epiphone Sheraton II, stock

2005 Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus, stock (MIJ, American Pickups)

1996 Fender 50th Anniversary American P-Bass (switched out pick guard from white)

2000 Taylor 310ce (Solid Sapelle Body, Spruce Top, Ebony Fretboard, Fishman On-Board Blender System).

1963 Gibson LG-0, stock except for an upgraded ebony bridge (common repair as the original was plastic!!!).

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord