MCI JH110

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hinkasaurus
audio school graduate

Post by hinkasaurus » Thu May 28, 2009 7:45 am

I was mistaken on what the #'s are on the smaller cap. In addition to 06.79, 81000 and electrolitico is this: 47/63.

I guess one of these is the capacitance and one the voltage but which is which?

Thx
__jim__

amorris
audio school graduate

Post by amorris » Thu May 28, 2009 11:33 am

47/63 comes out to 47uf (microfarad) / 63 volts
Studio Technician

hinkasaurus
audio school graduate

Post by hinkasaurus » Thu May 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Terrific! Thanks.
That's a big help.
__jim__

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:08 pm

So after several months of good behavior, I think my JH-110C is beginning to show symptoms of Molexia combined with a slight case of Red Socket disease. I was using the machine this past week, and after going through the usual alignment procedures outlined in the manual, I found some interesting anomalies.

1. During the bias calibration, I found that I could not overbias the left channel more than about 1/2 dB. For the time being, I settled for no overbias.

2. When recording, levels were fine. On playback, the right channel is about 5-6 dB hotter than the right channel, even though the meters seem normal. Otherwise the machine sounds great.

3. I swapped the record cards and the levels (while feeding a 1kHz tone) went all to hell. HUGE discrepancies.

I'm really hoping all she needs is a good cleaning and some sockets replaced. By the way, the heads are in good shape and the transport is rock solid.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:47 am

I moved in 2008, put my MCI in storage and just pulled it out for the first time yesterday. :)

Doing some research, I found a download for the full manual at mcirecording.com (B machine)

http://www.mcirecording.com/JH-110/JH110B_Manual.pdf

~B

sethl
ass engineer

Re: MCI JH110

Post by sethl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 pm

Another bump to this long-running thread! My JH-110b has been mostly trouble-free, but now I'm noticing that near the end of a full-reel rewind, the speed slows a bit. If I stop and restart rewind near the end, the supply side has a good deal of trouble getting up to speed.

I have the manual, and also followed Brian's advice:

1. Adjust the offset nulls.

2. Adjust the Idle pots.

3. I forget the name of the third set of tweaker pots but they set the play tension. Find the ones NOT labelled Idle or Offset. FF a 10" roll of tape to approx. midpoint (equal amounts of tape on both reels). Go into Play, and adjust the left hand pot so that the "dancer arm" (located near the left hand roller) is approx. midway in position. Then while in Play mode, manually push the pinch roller away from the capstan and adjust the right hand pot so that the tape still runs at approx. the correct speed."

But the issue persists. Scanning other threads, I see this in reference to a 1" 8-track model:

"1. Screw the one revolution every three seconds. Pull the brake solenoid driver to ensure no reel motion. Adjust TP1 and 2 (idle) for 1V each side. This is Steve's method and it works great."

Would this address my issue? I haven't yet done the #1 MCI "fix" (pull and reseat all boards), I suppose I should start there. That said, all red sockets are long gone, all pins on the motherboard have been resoldered.