Post embarrasing rookie mistakes you made

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:30 pm

mjau wrote:
drumsound wrote:Last week I accidently bussed the FT to the SD track...
Hmmph. Beginners.
I'm a hack!

masteroftracks
audio school

Post by masteroftracks » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:33 am

1)Renaming bad bands after food and then calling band food name while introducing to friends.
Seeking More Meals
An Emergency Breakfast
Culture Club Sandwich

b)Getting drummer stoned to "relax and not rush it"
I think I might be able to help with the whole Pan-Pam dilemma.......

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:07 am

masteroftracks wrote:b)Getting drummer stoned to "relax and not rush it"
HA. Fuck. Yeah, I did that to myself trying to nail this 2-minute hardcore song that was giving me fits in the studio. So dumb.

jawjatek
audio school

Post by jawjatek » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 am

Spent 10 minutes futzing with cables when my SDC drum overheads weren't working at a live recording gig.

Then I noticed I forgot to screw on the capsules. :oops:

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 am

I didn't do this but I was there so maybe it counts. We were shooting a live-to-tape with a skeleton crew, so there was just me and the director in the control room.

After the shoot I go out to collect our lavalliers. When I come back I find the director looking absolutely dejected. He's sitting in front of the DV recorder and just staring at a tape box.
"I'd forgot to load the tape into the recorder," he tells me.
"But there's the back-up HDD recorder?" I say.
"It ran out of space halfway through because I didn't check how much space it had," he tells me.
"Oh."

Fair enough he's usually not responsible for loading up the tape or checking the space left on the recorder (or even pressing rec) but one would think he'd have noticed something was amiss.

So, getting mentally ready to tell the talent we might need to redo the whole thing I ask the director to load up the tape now. But it's not at the beginning as an empty tape should be. It's half full. Rewind a bit and see the talent say his final greetings.

What the director had done was eject the tape while I was gone and put it back in its box without even realising.

I laughed so hard I thought he'd punch me.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 am

years ago my band was doing a record at q division. as my role in this band was auxillary keyboard guy, i wasn't playing on the basic tracks, i was in the control room "producing". ha.

so there was one song where the first half was real chill, then there was a pause and the second half was All Rock. they'd done a couple takes which were ok but not great. then they did one where the rock section was great, but the first half was still a little dicey. so the decision was made to just do another take of the first half and we'd splice it all together later. fine, no prob.

so at that point, while people retuned and such, i ducked out to the lounge for a quick smoke. come back into the control room as they're starting out the last take. i look over at the reel and notice that it's getting near the end. immediately think 'fuck' because i just know that they're going to play the first half, get excited, and go for an even better Rock section. and sure enough, it gets to the pause, i see the guitar look at the drummer with a gleam in his eye and BOOM! there they go.

so i asked everyone in the control room "do i stop them or let them go?" we let them go. they played a ferocious version of the Rock section, precisely none of which was captured on tape. and then they're all high fiving and i had to tell them we didn't get it. total bummer. no biggie in the end, because the previous take was Just Fine. but i still felt that if i'd have been in the room i would've made the decision to rewind back to the top of the tape for that last take. ah well.