Webcor Regent Stereo-lite?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

janusmusic
pushin' record

Webcor Regent Stereo-lite?

Post by janusmusic » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:21 pm

My Grandfather has been wanting to give me his Webcor for quite some time now. I took the manual home and it looks rather cool. Seems to be a 2 track/ possibly 4 not sure has a synch track switch. I have just been lazy and haven't had room until now. Last weekend my daughter and I were over his house and he had it hooked up and we let my daughter rock it so the speakers were on and she could scream "check one two" into the mic. Sounded really tubey..she screams check one two into everything and it's my fault really it's a bit much when she leans over the toaster and yells into the toast slot..anyways anybody mess around with these old reel to reels? Is there other less obvious uses you've found for them? It is from 1963 and he has kept it immaculate. Ultimately I want to record a song on it for him but just curious to see if anyone has any experience with them.
Brian

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:41 pm

The first thing I ever had that recorded stuff was a little 2 trk just like that, but from 59.

I learned a lot about splicing tape, and recording in general with that little machine. I would love to wind up with another one of those little things, just for that sound.

By all means, enjoy the thing. Can be REALLY amazing just as a line amp as well.