megatron667
audio school graduate

Dynaudio BM6A's

Post by megatron667 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:17 am

Anyone have an opinion on these?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:44 am

I was working in a room with Dynaudio's last month, and they totally freak me out. They sound really weird in the low mids/upper bass, and the the mids seem really scoopy, like old genelecs kind of. They freak me out. Nothing seems to punch on them... I can seem to make good decisions about amplitude for anything happening in the entire mid spectrum. As always with moitors though, it is because I havent had a lot of time on them. I know guys that mix really well with Dynaudios of all kinds.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:03 pm

Any other considerations in the price range of the BM-6a? I was looking at the Dynaudio BM6a as well. JBL or Event?
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:56 pm

While I personally love the BM6A's, I couldn't afford a pair at the time and went with KRKV6 'Series 2' last year. I now like my KRK's so much I completely forgot about the Dyns and saved $800 in the process.

1- your room size and it's acoustic properties
2- type of music you'll be mixing
3- what are you looking to get from a monitor?
4- accept that there is no true "flat' monitor

Consider the above, it varies greatly from one person to the next.
My room is small and I don't need that subby, hip-hop thudd to come through. The V6II's are very well balanced and have a very tight bass response. They don't project in the same way as a pair of Mackie 824's. Genelec 1031 or Dyn BM15's, but I got used to them and they translate beautifully.

megatron667
audio school graduate

Post by megatron667 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:34 pm

I went ahead and got the BM6A's. Been at the studio all day with them. I see what you mean Joel, I was also freaked out cause they're really bright. But after a few hours and a stack of CD's I got use to them and I did a quick mix brought it home and I'll have to say they are pretty damn cool. I would recomend them. I had the KRK's and I hated the low or lack of and I would say this is a great improvment.

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:07 pm

I tested the 5As the other day and thought they were damn bright.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:02 pm

I have the BM6a's. I like them. I don't love them. I'm interested in maybe upgrading to some Adam p22's

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:45 pm

I was curious about the Dynaudios as well but am doing ok for now with a set of NS10s. I have B&W Nautilus 805s at home so I keep telling myself that when it's time for really critical mixes I can just bring my speakers from home but I never do.

I feel like I know what I get with the NS10s. If I got anything else at this point it would either be another set of B&W 805s (either Matrix or Nautilus).

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:37 am

I have some BM6a's that I keep just to ship out to jobs where I have to mix on speakers I don't know. They're at WaveLab right now in fact since I was just there mixing, and the artist liked all but one mix I did on them in an unfamiliar studio through a Soundcraft Ghost! I have ADAM S3A's at Jackpot!, but the BM6A's are easy for me to figure out and mix on. The thing I notice with them is a better stereo field than many other small speakers. I don't perceive them as too bright!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com