Shockmount theory

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Shockmount theory

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:03 am

I've made bunches of shockmounts, with hose clamps and braided elastic and embroidery hoops, and one thing is certain. It's cheaper than buying a manufacturer's shockmount. Well, two things. Seems there's an inverse relation to how tight the strands of elastic are and how much sound is attenuated. Just recently I put together shockmounts for my TapeOp Ribbon mics, kind of a U-shaped channel where the holder slides in, and this is hung on a frame, and when the elastic is tight and snug the low end thuds and bumps just travel right on through... and when the mic hangs kinda sluggishly and loosely, it's it its own suspended, quiet sonic world.

But you don't see "shockmounts" all loose and floppy, they're tight as a drum. Why is this? Don't they know what they're doing?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:41 am

Could you post a photo of your TOMB ribbon shock mount? Sounds cool, and way better than how they came from the factory...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:07 am

Yeah how do you make shockmounts I have been waiting to do this for awhile.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:30 pm

I'll see if I can sweettalk my girlfriend into taking a picture of it... it's done with those aluminum channels that are made to fit over the edges of plywood, and various other gewgaws from the hardware store...

My whole approach to shockmount technology was to start with the idea that you can slip a SM57 or 99% of all mics into a hose clamp, like for car radiators, and tighten it to fit, and then string elastic to suspend it inside another, slightly larger hoop, and that hoop is fastened to a mic stand. One hoop is solid on the stand, and there's a webbing of elastic to the inner hoop with the mic, and vibrations don't travel too well over the elastic.

And then you wrap it all with electrical tape and it looks professional and black.... just like a football team.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Evergreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Evergreen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:34 pm

joelpatterson wrote:I'll see if I can sweettalk my girlfriend into taking a picture of it...
:shock: 8) :twisted:

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:16 pm

Nice.

I love hardware store audio gear!

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:29 pm

joelpatterson wrote: And then you wrap it all with electrical tape and it looks professional and black.... just like a football team.
and that's where i started laughing. first not so PC joke on the new board. nice