Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

What'd you work on today 3 october 2005

Post by soundguy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:11 pm

can this go here?

I think it should...

I built a 16 channel snake today. totally boring.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:24 pm

I was a little under the weather today and had nothing scheduled, but I did do some reading and learning for a session tomorrow afternoon. Also, I called the guys I am working with tomorrow to confirm a time (and to make sure we were still on).

I guess even when you are NOT working, you still work.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:59 pm

I'm running off 100 CDs of monks at a local monstery singing their chant stuff and packaged as 75 minutes of classic Eastern Orthodox chant. The booklet has a transcription of the entire 75 minute ceremony, so you can sing along I guess. The singlemost costly item to produce this is ink for my Epson printer. Ink on the tray back, ink under the tray, ink on the CD labels, ink, ink, ink!

Sounds beautiful though... the clinking of the incense as they stroll by, just enrapturing, stunning, realitic... I sure was freaking at the time, watching the smoke waft up and swirl around the mics...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

mixalot
audio school graduate

Post by mixalot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:09 pm

Gorillaz Dance Remix. just mixing.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:59 pm

Remix of a dance piece about a guy who came back from Iraq and blew his head off.

It's been a heavy afternoon.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:10 pm

I cannot believe you beat me to the punch!

Absolutely this goes here! That's part of why Larry asked me to moderate this forum.

I played my standard Thursday night jazz gig. Also made some new track sheets for the new studio. Returned some phone calls and emails about bookings. Spent a lot of time on here. Looked up info on RADAR v3.35, since they sent me the manual for 3.30 and the 3.37 addendum, which doesn't include one important feature from 3.35. Fortunately, they've got a super-cool message board, too.

Got another lead on a big instrument score that I'm not talking about for a while, although most of you wouldn't care anyway.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:24 pm

cgarges wrote:
Got another lead on a big instrument score that I'm not talking about for a while, although most of you wouldn't care anyway.
Why wouldn't we?

Oh. It's a trombone, isn't it?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:39 pm

Mixing a record for Bloodshot records. The band is called "cordero."

Martin Bisi tracked the instruments, my partner Tony Maimone tracked the vocals.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:47 pm

dwlb wrote:Oh. It's a trombone, isn't it?
Man, what is it with trombone lately? I've been doing this record for this acoustic singer songwriter and all day the other day I kept telling him he needed more trombone on his record.

It's really a cheap piece of crap--or a couple of cheap pieces of crap, actually, but I don't want anyone to know about these until I can get my hands on a few more. I'm not even sure how consistent they are. I could be in for a real disappointment.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:07 pm

microsoft excel can kiss my white ass.

no sane person should spend 8 hours trying to print labels for damn switchcraft bays, boo to me.

Mac prints the shit too big.
PC prints the shit too small.

the scaling is fucked for both.

what a frustrating evening printing little pieces of paper.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:54 pm

I played my accompanist gig during the day. i was supposed to start vocals for a project tracked at a home studio. But there's some kind of weird distortion that we believe is comming from crappy cables or a Smackie 8-buss. So no real work, but now I'll get to re-track the three tunes and thus make a little more money.

Yesterday I recorded an instrumental version of "The Battle of Evermore" with two acoustic guitars, soprano sax, flute and bari sax.

Tomorrow I think I'm gonna play an online poker tournament...

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:42 am

my band worked on tracking guitars for our debut record. we scrapped our initial setup, beat it with a better one, and got six songs done. weee!

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:24 am

cgarges wrote:
dwlb wrote:Oh. It's a trombone, isn't it?
Man, what is it with trombone lately? I've been doing this record for this acoustic singer songwriter and all day the other day I kept telling him he needed more trombone on his record.
Funny, i've been doing a fair bit of trombone tracking lately too, i love me some trombone.

I worked some more on the rumbling stuff for the tune i was talking about in the 'things that rumble' thread and did a few melodica takes that i'm going to drop in favour of harmonica instead.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:50 am

Hey, I've recorded 4 different trombonists in the last 5 weeks.

But that's another story...

Meanwhile, yesterday:

Backed up a client's 8 gigs of data on 2 DVD-R's since he didn't bring a hard drive like I asked him to. Duh.

Then for client #2...played 2 minidisc recordings into PEAK, did some minor edits and burned a disc for him. This would have been boring were it not for the fact that the music (cello/voice and 2 trumpets in an abandoned grain silo) was amazing, and the hang quite nice.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:16 am

Did a bunch of edits and percussion overdubs for the new phonograph record. ate some mexican food with joel h and then went home and tried to record some guitars with matt, but we weren't feeling it, so i went to bed super early. now i'm rested for another day of messing about. tried to make some tape loops last night, but realized that my studer a810 doesn't have an edit function, so i can't play the transport without the hubs spinning. weak. maybe there is something i'm missing.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/