Leo Quan Badass Bridges

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Leo Quan Badass Bridges

Post by dynomike » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:03 pm

I'm thinking about slappin one of these puppies in my MIJ Fender 54 reissue "Sting" P-bass. I'm hoping to get improved sustain and of course intonation over the two-pole thing style bridge thats on there now. Does anyone know if I'll have to drill more holes or whatnot to do this? Any comments about the bridge welcome. The salesguy at Steve's tried to talk me out of getting one today, but he also fucked up the THREE other things I bought from him (pickup, strings, and pot (not the kind you smoke)) so now I think I want one all the more.

Mike

p.s. Feels good to be home, TOMB...
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Maurice
ass engineer

Post by Maurice » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:24 pm

I can't recall whether or not I ever went with a Badass on bass (I'll have to check when I get home), but I can say that the Badass adjustable bridge/tailpiece (LP Jr style) for guitar was...suboptimal. I ended up stripping the screw head on the B string adjustment and having to shove that into place without the screw. Ultimately I ended up going with a non-adjustable LP Jr bridge for the guitar, and it's working better, although I'd really like the adjustment, so I'm going to try the Schaller sometime (I have one sitting around).

So anyway, my overall impression was that it wasn't nearly as solid of a bridge as they're often made out to be. The bass may be different. Can you futz a bit with the intonation adjustment and inspect the parts in detail without having to put it on your bass (and hence buy it)?

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:56 am

I've really liked them on basses and guitars. Are the guitar ones even still made?
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:08 am

I put one on my '76 jazz bass, and it rules. way better than the shitty old bent metal one with the saddles sliding all over. it makes it more solid and dependable with out making it look or feel like a cheesy 'sesh' bass.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:03 pm

I'm at work right now, took a stroll past the basses on the wall. It seemed the P and J basses mostly had the "5 screws in a row" setup on the little fender bridges, and the ones with badass (or badass knockoff) bridges had 4 screws, one in each corner. So you likely will have to drill, but it's not the end of the world. If you're concerned, take it to a tech (I guess not the guy at Steves :)) and have them punch it for you.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:16 pm

a real badass II bridge should be the 5 hole jammy. mine was. dropped right on my bass with no modifications. take note, however, that the saddles are ungrooved, so you'll have to get someone to groove them for the strings at the appropriate spacing.

jonh
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:08 am

Dude. There is no way that Geddy Lee and Jeff Berlin could be wrong. BadAss bridges rule!

I guess. I play an '86 Steinberger XL2...

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:30 am

A badass bridge is definitely gooing to lower the 50's vibe of your bass, but so does having Sting's autograph at the 12th fret (the only reason I never bought one of those basses). I respect him as a bass player, of course, but I don't want his name on any gear I'm playing.

The bridge will give you the effect you're after, though. The added mass should give you more sustain.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:03 am

the brill bedroom wrote:A badass bridge is definitely gooing to lower the 50's vibe of your bass, but so does having Sting's autograph at the 12th fret (the only reason I never bought one of those basses). I respect him as a bass player, of course, but I don't want his name on any gear I'm playing.

The bridge will give you the effect you're after, though. The added mass should give you more sustain.
Oh, but it'll up the authentic "sting" vibe - he of course swapped out the original for a badass. Yeah that signature is ugly as fuck, but the inlay is cleanly done and at least it doesn't affect the performance in any way - that would be a double kick in the nuts. Its a great feeling neck, you should get over the details and get one!

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

KennyD
audio school graduate

Post by KennyD » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:19 pm

I've had a Badass Bridge on my '78 Fender Jazz for about 20 years. It's always worked fine and sounds great!

-Kenny D

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:44 pm

Just to update, switched to a Badass (original, not II) for the sting bass and it fit perfectly with no need to re-drill, etc. Still looks great, and covers up the holes which the strings used to go through (through the body). Much better intonation and sustain actually - I put on flats for a test then a set of dead rounds and they both sounded fine - I actually used the dead roundwounds on a new track thru the hamptone jfet di:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=28551

Anyway, thanks to those who replied - I can now attest that it actually is worth the upgrade, and a very smooth process at that.

Mike