ADK Vienna/hamburg

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

ADK Vienna/hamburg

Post by the brill bedroom » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:44 am

Anybody else have any experience with these? I picked up a Vienna super cheap and I've liked what I've heard so far. It does have a bit of that high frequency thing that I associate with cheapo large diapraghm condensors, but it's not harsh- just a bit airy. I have an airy voice anyway and I found tahat with about 4 tracks of my backgrounds and this mic, it started to sound a bit like "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc. That's good, though, it kept me from adding too many backing vocals. It does have some pretty good body as well, so a little EQing can sort out too much high end.

Anybody else have any thoughts on these? I've only used it on voice and piano so far.

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:23 pm

There is a nice, detailed review of those ADK Hamburg/Vienna mics over at Studio Reviews. Haven't tried them myself.

Andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:18 am

Yep, that's the review that convinced me that it was worth getting one. I just haven't found anyone with any experience or opinions on them- which is a little curious. I've also not come across any other reviews anywhere and there's very little info on them anywhere online. Maybe it's just that that market is so jammed with options (Chinese made large diapraghm condensees in the $150- $300 range) that the ADKs haven't made their mark.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:26 pm

I've been thinking of getting one as well, they've gone for as little and $229 on ebay so keep you eyes open. Even if you don't llike it you can probably sell it for that much anyway.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:02 am

Leopold wrote:I've been thinking of getting one as well, they've gone for as little and $229 on ebay so keep you eyes open. Even if you don't llike it you can probably sell it for that much anyway.

Eddie
I was able to get a Hamburg for $160 on ebay.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:47 am

...and a little review of said Hamburg...
I used it on a bass cab w/ the 10dB pad engaged, mixed with a direct signal. I was trying to get a thumpy, McCartney type sound and this mic really did the job well. So far, so good.