Tranzport (by Frontier Design)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

linus
re-cappin' neve

Tranzport (by Frontier Design)

Post by linus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:28 am

Anyone using the Frontier Design Tranzport? Anyone using it with Cubase or Nuendo?

I think I'm going to order it today. Just the ability to be able to hit record, stop, and play would be enough to make it worth the price. I record myself alone in my isobooth. Right now I end up using 30 seconds of pre-roll and running into the booth, closing the doors, putting on headphones, then getting ready. Such a pain in the ass.

I'm hoping that the other functions will work well. It would be REALLY helpful if I'm actually able to monitor input levels when I'm in the iso booth. Setting up vocal mic pre levels has always been guess work.

I'd love to hear from anyone with real hands on experience with it.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:20 am

posted this before, but I have it, and love it.
I use it with ProTools.
It has SO many functions it's crazy. It might be nice it it came with a manual to outline them all.
It's nice to be able to set levels, make a little vocal booth, and just sit there and do several takes of a vocal without needing someone else to hit record for me.
It's also nic eto be able to mix from the client couch.
It's SUPER nice to be able to record in different rooms in the house and have that little bugger shoot through walls.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:25 am

How far away will it still work? Can I bring it into a room downstairs and have it work?

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:35 am

for sure.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:16 pm

I couldn't live without it anymore. I've gotten about 30 ft. away and no problem.

Crap, any protools le people know how to use the pan function???

Get the trazport...it's kind of worth its weight in gold if you record yourself a lot. And if you have computer noise to contend with and want to make quiet, releasable stuff it's a no brainer. I usually don't cheerlead...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:29 pm

I have had my eye on this thing. Glad to hear it is as cool as I hoped it really was when I read about it a while back....

Anyone tried it with TDM here?

I would love to get the keyboard off the console after I am done editing, and just have play, and shuttle type controls.... amazing thought actually. be able to carry the thing over to near the compressor rack and hit play and stop to listen to settings, rather than run out of track while lisstening to something....

Lots of cool uses! Man I need this thing!

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:36 pm

Yeah, joel, it's super nice just having the controls handy...with or without a present mouse. The coolest part is the batteries aren't eve half burnt at like three months of regular use! It's cheap plastic, but so practical that you don't really care...

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:18 pm

can you do fader moves with it too???

Do you access them with the wheel?

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:38 pm

yes! you hold the shift key down after selecting the track with the arrow buttons, and turn the shuttle wheel to affect volume...!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:45 am

thearnicasync wrote:Yeah, joel, it's super nice just having the controls handy...with or without a present mouse. The coolest part is the batteries aren't eve half burnt at like three months of regular use! It's cheap plastic, but so practical that you don't really care...

I hear that.... Time to check it out... see what kind of prices are out there...

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:20 am

Prices seem to be set in stone at $199. I checked every gear site I could think of along with google and froogle. Maybe someone else has found it for cheaper?

I went ahead and ordered it today from a site with no tax or shipping. I got the mic stand holder for it as well.

If it works well with Cubase/Nuendo it will be worth the price for sure.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:00 am

thearnicasync wrote:yes! you hold the shift key down after selecting the track with the arrow buttons, and turn the shuttle wheel to affect volume...!
in protools?

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:51 am

Yep...

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:01 pm

oh shit. that's cool. just for recording automation. do you know the resolution of the knob? I have that behringer knob thing for audiomulch and I set it up with protools to record automation passes but the resolution is pretty jumpy. the pro control and all that crap has much finer resolution.

if you turn the knob on an audio track, what's the smallest increment you can make?

Will

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:42 am

man, i don't know about the know about the knob resolution, and I haven't recorded automation with it yet. I'll try it out this weekend...!