Great gear scored on the cheap

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:50 am

Shure SM61 on eBay for $12.50. This mic puts my 635A to shame as a handheld interview mic. Can't wait to try it on some other applications.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:54 am

my recent scores...

am-864/u $75
broken meter replaced for $12

Sta-level $550
unknown condition... its in the mail.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:17 am

Soooo...we're all talking about past scores, what about future ones? It used to be the case that one could call radio stations and such for their "outdated" analog gear and get amazing deals that way, but in every major town, anyway, someone's already thought of that. There are fewer and fewer good deals on ebay.

So where do you go now? Pawn shops? Even most of them check their prices on the internet so they know what they've got. At least around here.

--JES

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:50 am

jx wrote:my mate scored a minimoog for ?80. it was listed in the paper as 'organ. broken. only plays one note at a time'.
Hilarious.

Yeah, I'm also wondering where anyone can go for deals anymore. The internet has kinda tuned everyone in to what something might be worth.

pandatone
pushin' record

MPA 700 T

Post by pandatone » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:08 pm

well i'm gonna boast about this thing. this weird peavy MPA 700T modular preamp i got for 38$. it's got 6 mic in's [no phantom]. i powered it up, and plugged in a 58. i haven't had a chance to run any hardcore tests on it. but it appears to be able to produce about 70 - 80 db of seriously clean gain [at full, and with my headphones cranked.. i heard nothing but what the mic heard, cleaner then my meek VC3]. it sounds alot like the pre's on my soundcraft M12. with some twittling with the EQs and "Contour" botton. it produced a nice "growl" when cranked all the way up. the only down side is it sums all 6 mic in's before it goes out. no was to use them all independently without putting in my own outputs on each channel. and each input it like a modular card. that you can just pull out, and push in. here i opened it up and took some pictures.

http://www.pliink.com/mt/diy/

now onto other mic's and other source's.. weee..

panda

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:52 pm

Instead of just making me horribly jealous with all the great stuff you scored on the cheap, elaborate on how you came across some of these deals (you know so other people like myself who need cool crap can also get it cheap).

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:01 pm

meblumen wrote:Instead of just making me horribly jealous with all the great stuff you scored on the cheap, elaborate on how you came across some of these deals (you know so other people like myself who need cool crap can also get it cheap).
yeah!

"Well, I was just mindin' my own bidness. Walkin' down the street, like I do every mornin'. Well, it just so happens that on this mornin' I didn't pick up my feets so good, and I trip. 'Good golly!' I say. Now, whenever I trip I always look to see what it were that I tripped up on. So, I turn my head so as to get a better look-see, and whatdya think I tripped on? That's right, a pile of u47s. Galdarnit! It prolly wouldna been so bad if I hadn't banged up my knee on all of those LA2As a-sittin' a few feet in front."

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:35 pm

bradb wrote:my recent scores...

am-864/u $75
broken meter replaced for $12
I hate you.

j/k...
beware bee wear

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:54 am

trashy wrote:
meblumen wrote:Instead of just making me horribly jealous with all the great stuff you scored on the cheap, elaborate on how you came across some of these deals (you know so other people like myself who need cool crap can also get it cheap).
yeah!

"Well, I was just mindin' my own bidness. Walkin' down the street, like I do every mornin'. Well, it just so happens that on this mornin' I didn't pick up my feets so good, and I trip. 'Good golly!' I say. Now, whenever I trip I always look to see what it were that I tripped up on. So, I turn my head so as to get a better look-see, and whatdya think I tripped on? That's right, a pile of u47s. Galdarnit! It prolly wouldna been so bad if I hadn't banged up my knee on all of those LA2As a-sittin' a few feet in front."
Um, yeah...you tripped on my U47's and LA2A's. Sorry I left them there. Please send them back.

I like to find ebay listings where something has been spelled incorrectly. "Octava" is a good one to try. Mislisted items can be a good find, too - like someone putting an Altec mic pre in with home stereo stuff.

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:09 am

A couple of years ago someone put an ad up at the local shop. I called him and asked how much for the Peavy VMP2 and the RE301 Space Echo. He said "I dunno, they are kinda old, what would you pay?. I got 'em for $200 each. They guy I took over with me (he bought Soundcraft board and a Sennheiser mic) flipped out and told the guy I wasn't paying him enough!!! He was still happy with the deal. Got out of music to become a painter.

My pal Dave Weyer sold me a NOS Multi Moog for $100.

The days of screaming deals are pretty much gone, but over the years I did just fine. There was a time that rack gear could be had for next to nothing, SPX90's, SDE 1000, 3000, Astatic Bullet harp mic for $12. ...some of the guitar deals would make you cry...

I only buy cheap, that way you get more stuff.
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

mindrocket
studio intern

Post by mindrocket » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:39 pm

DBX 165 for doing a DAT Transfer for someone.

Shure 315 ribbon mic with sony recorder and mic stand fo 10 bucks!

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:47 pm

Newest score was a Korg DW8000 and stand for $30. It's actually a really, cool keyboard. Great 80's sounds and easy manipulation of them into interesting usable ones.

Old good score was an old 70's Small Stone for $5 at a garage sale.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:25 pm

Gibson SG - Free

Shure Beta 52 - Free

Shure Beta 56- Free

Marshall AVT 150 head- trade for a crappy beat up Jackson I had and did a 4 song demo for them.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:14 am

'64 Blackface Fender Princeton (non-reverb) - FREE
(sold it, tho. wtf was i thinking?)

Aphex 107 dual mic pres - $80

lavender Ross Phaser/Distortion - $7

Boss BF-2 Flanger - $20

'72 Fender Telecaster Custom in good shape with original case - $350

Akai sampler with sample diskettes - FREE

Technics RS-B48R cassette deck in like-new condition - FREE
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:26 am

Otari 1/2" 8 track - mint - $200 Community TV station auciton

EV 666 $3 (!!!!!) - FSU property auction. Also came with a Sennhiser modular condenser for a video camera that I sold for $300, so the EV cost me -$297!

2 Altec 100w pa amps -1597s? - $6, same FSU property auction. There was an Ampex AG440 2 track that I bid $100 on but someone else got it for $101.

Ampeg V4 $100 at a pawnshop. They knocked a bunch of money off the price because it had no speakers (its' a head!!), the chassis was loose (it is shockmounted!!) and took a while to warm up (it's tube!!!)

UREI 527A EQ, $25 on ebay. Listed under URIE.