Analog Delay Wars

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Analog Delay Wars

Post by Rolsen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:32 am

Anybody use the reissued Ibanez AD-9 analog delay pedal? I've got the Arion SAD-3 stereo analog delay, and for the $20 I spent on it (brand new!) its awesome. Just wondering if the Ibanez is really $100 better sounding.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:55 pm

if it's anything like I remember about the original, then definitely. I'm curious about the reissue as well, I don't think I want to buy a piece of used gear that's been stepped on for the last 25 years.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:30 pm

Be sure to check out the Diamond Memory Lane pedal. Analog, tap tempo, and has modulation. This is the next pedal I'll be buying.

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/memorylane.html

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:33 pm

I have the origginal.I like it. I like the Arion. i like tape echo's better..I think having options is better than just having one of anything, regardless of Cheap/Expensve. Just my 2 cents...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:35 pm

Memory Man.... Memorrrryyyy Mannnnn....

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:00 pm

Meriphew wrote:Be sure to check out the Diamond Memory Lane pedal. Analog, tap tempo, and has modulation. This is the next pedal I'll be buying.
fuck. I swore I'd stop buying delay pedals. thanks meriphew.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:23 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I have the origginal.I like it. I like the Arion. i like tape echo's better..I think having options is better than just having one of anything, regardless of Cheap/Expensve. Just my 2 cents...
I agree.

3 head cassette decks are very nice too.

I'd like to add that delay, echo and reverb are the only guitar effects I really like, maybe just cause I love surf music so much, but not even distortion is as great IMO.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:41 pm

I actually really like the giga delay thing by BOSS.

I have done two records now with a band called "Dub Trio" (roir records) and both times I freaked out on how good that delay sounds. We actually used it with a reamp and a DI during the mix, because it just does something that none of the delays I have do... and I have a BUNCH of delays!!! ( 2 effectron 1024's,a compueffectron, a roland SDE 3000, an electrix MOFX, a Klemt tube tape echo, a hiwatt custom tape echo, a korg stage echo,an ibanez AD202, a bunch of multi FX boxes with delays, a zillion pedals including the original ibanez, memory man,.... blah blah blah)!!!!!

None of them had the right kind of "twisting" sound the giga delay would do, and it was just so user friendly as far as warping stuff just slightly in real time during the mix.. I always forget that thing is so cool, because it looks so GORF.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:20 pm

On my pedal board I have the Arion, than the Ibanez ad-9 re-ish, than the Boss DD-20, I love them and and have NO complaints about any of them...
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:44 am

seek out an old yamaha E1005.

In fact - I was playing with mine last night and made this file:

http://www.milkmansound.com/audio/analogdelayfun.mp3

I just triggered the thing with a 303 clone and the delay went from there. I had it on the verge of explosion the whole time - and you can hear it actually clip the preamp at one point.

analog delay rules!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:27 am

Its a rackmount unit with all the connectors on the front, but check out the Multivox MXD-5. I had one and it not only has delay with feedback, tone control, and a 1/4" built in mic pre, but it also has a tiny spring reverb. With the mic pre input you can use it as a seperate delay line and actually get acoustic feedback with a speaker to feed your delay. I really wish I hadn't sold it, but they come up on the bay a lot for $75 to $100. Its certainly NOT hi-fi, very much the opposite in fact, but badass none the less. Go to
http://www.myspace.com/thecircuitbentproject
and you can hear it with a Casio SK-1 on the So Kill One track.

Jesse
I want to be different, just like everybody else.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:17 am

On a side note, does anybody own a GigaDelay and still have the manual. I know there's a way to switch between -10 and +4, but I lost my manual a long time ago and can't seem to find the information on the internet....

Thanks
-marc

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:24 am

The Multivox MXD-5 is indeed really cool. I bought mine after a friend brought over his MXD-7, which is similar but also adds chorus. Both are excellent on any sort of synth pads.
As much as I love analog delays, the coolest delay I own is the original EH 16 Second Digital Delay. I have no experience with the reissue (though it seems to be an entirely different beast, and not so well-liked) but the original is the most analog-like digital delay I've ever heard. This is seriously one of those magic boxes that just always sounds amazing. I don't know how many hours I've spent just playing my Yamaha CP-60M piano through it and getting instant Harold Budd...
I'd like to mod mine so that the click track goes to a separate output so I can use it to clock external analog gear (analog sequencers and the like). Does anyone know of a tech who specializes in these units?

somniferum
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by somniferum » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:01 pm

I have an addiction to delay pedals. Out of ten total effects pedals I own, six are delay pedals. :oops: I have one of the original (actually I think its the second series, circa 1984) IBANEZ AD9 pedals. Its a great pedal, with this certain special "ghostlike" sad sound to it, that is unique. I have an ARION SAD1 that comes somewhat close, but it has a shorter delay time than the IBANEZ, and is all around much more subtle an effect. The DOD FX90 (the older metal version) is great too, for less money than the IBANEZ, and I have a DOD 585 PERFORMER that is a monster (intense feedback if you're not careful with settings and it is loud too.) My favorite digital delay is BOSS DD-2, ten times better than any of the later Boss delays. I have an IBANEZ DE7 as well, which lately gets used with synths, that's a good pedal for the money (usually turn up around $40 give or take), really nails that GYBE sound. Sad thing is, I know this won't be the last of my purchases. :wink:
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

http://www.myspace.com/somniferumky
http://www.myspace.com/wurmkraut

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:08 am

guyatone md-3... digital, but you'd never know it