Handclaps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Handclaps

Post by curtiswyant » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:02 pm

Any tips on getting good handclap sounds? I've tried overdubbing myself a zillion times, getting a group of friends, LDCs/SDCs/dynamics etc but to no avail. Any advice on compression/gate settings and stuff? Next time I might try doing them "dirty..." :x

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:43 pm

omni. good room. have your handclappin' friends dance around abit - silently - so the claps aren't exactly in time.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:36 pm

Of course you need this

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:14 pm

Next time you're by yourself, try overdubbing a few passes of slapping your bare leg with both hands. It'll get you to a group clap thing faster.

I often have groups of people clap with their backs to the mic(s). Or sometimes, I'll mic a reflective surface like a wall or the control room glass. A metal music stand is usually my favorite.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:08 pm

claps are something that have always turned out fine for me, no matter what mic I use.
beware bee wear

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:15 pm

I like to have as many people as possible. Basically anyone who?s at the studio at the time we're doing claps HAS to participate. Only a couple people get cans and everyone else has to watch for cues. Make sure that there are some non-drummers and maybe even non-musicians.

I like an omni, but it really doesn't matter. If I do multiple passes I have people move around or maybe take a step back each pass.

While we're at it lets talk about clapping technique. The best way to get claps to be in the pocket is to teach people to only move one hand. The other stays in the same place so there is a defined target for the moving hand. Then can then get used to how long it takes for the moving hand to reach the still hand and they can get in the pocket. If both hands move t will always be a crapshoot!

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:24 pm

This is the most useful thread I've read in a while. No joke! I've always had a hell of a time trying to get a good handclap sound/track. Great ideas here!

Next project, I'm insisting on adding handclaps so I can try some of these techniques!!!!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:29 pm

TapeOpAndy wrote:This is the most useful thread I've read in a while. No joke! I've always had a hell of a time trying to get a good handclap sound/track. Great ideas here!

Next project, I'm insisting on adding handclaps so I can try some of these techniques!!!!
Be sure to post an MP3!

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:40 pm

drumsound wrote:
TapeOpAndy wrote:This is the most useful thread I've read in a while. No joke! I've always had a hell of a time trying to get a good handclap sound/track. Great ideas here!

Be sure to post an MP3!
yeah, I'd love to hear tracks of a west coast jazz trio with handclap overdubs all over them...

actually, that sounds pretty cool.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:19 am

trashy wrote:yeah, I'd love to hear tracks of a west coast jazz trio with handclap overdubs all over them...
Andy's East Coast. With a West Coast thing, we'll have to do a thread about finger snaps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jx
gettin' sounds

Post by jx » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:07 am

i've done the multitracking myself handclapping (the loneliest home recorder :cry: )- it can work. omni, do several passes (odd number seem to work better than even- dunno why). move around the mic for each pass, try different clapping styles (you know what i mean, the closed hand ones, the 'fatter', cupped hand ones, slapping yer legs etc). group them, bung a compressor over 'em (distressor seems to work well) and voila- instant wall of clap...

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:45 am

Wetting the hands can also help to get a crisp sound. Put the mic several feet away to get some room sound. Double or triple it in different rooms. Bathrooms are good for claps.

We've got an old Simmons ClapTrap from the 80's. They actually sound pretty good mixed in with real claps. You can dial in some white noise with it's internal mixer and also vary the clap's pitch and decay time. A very cool little box.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

KennyD
audio school graduate

Post by KennyD » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:48 pm

I've also had good success with the clapper wearing latex gloves...

-Kenny D

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:45 pm

it always makes me laugh how hard it is to get claps I'm happy with. I mean, wtf? I feel like I always get too much room (proly cause I'm always in shitty rooms?). I've got a friend with crazy sorta leathery hands. I dunno but her handclaps always sound better than anyone elses. so maybe get your grandparents to clap for you?

will

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:35 pm

syrupcore wrote: grandparents to clap for you?

will
My Grandfather has the loudest clap I've ever heard. Maybe I can start getting him session work!