carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:35 pm

inverseroom wrote:Of course you need this
WOW! A clap pedal!!

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:14 pm

varispeed.
if you do multiple passes and it's the same group of people each time, use varispeed. it's the best.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:51 pm

nick_a wrote:varispeed.
if you do multiple passes and it's the same group of people each time, use varispeed. it's the best.
Yeah - that's what I do.
beware bee wear

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:51 am

The late great Johnny Thunders once told me in strict confidentiality that the greatest handclaps he ever got on a record were done with a bunch of guys slapping 2 x 4s together (that's framing lumber for you metric types).

I just got done recording an instructional book/CD whic has some tracks with clapping and tapping. I could not capture a decent clap or tap and, being alone, was not about to do countless overdubs for a few 15-second tracks. I ended up using the old drum machine with a little distortion and slap-back echo, quantization off. It's okay but not alive.

And now that we've bitch-slapped the clap into submission, any good ideas for capturing a good foot-stomp? I'm thinking "Baby Love," all those 4 Seasons hits, the Honeycombs "Come Right Back."
-dB

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:39 pm

I had been planning on doing some handclaps on a new track, and, having read this thread, tried out some of the ideas.

http://www.puremagic.ca/other_users/mik ... gdrums.mp3

(handclaps are mostly at the end, and also in one section halfway through)

I used the tapeop ribbon, about 5 feet away from me and moved around a bit with each take, did 12-15 tracks for each part. Varied my clapping from cupped hands to flat hands to knee slaps, then distorted the center with quadrafuzz (thanks joel!) and sent 1/3 to the center, 1/3 left, 1/3 right on their own buss.. compressed the buss with blockfish, worked fantastic! Had to highpass and edit out a lot of noise though - the compression brought the "room tone" (ie machine noise) out a lot.

Thanks TOMB!

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!