Pedal Steel

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Milkmansound
george martin

Pedal Steel

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:06 pm

Man, who else just loves the sound of that instrument???

I am thinking about getting one and learning to play - has anyone learned recently? I think I might go with the Carter Started package, since its supposedly high quality and affordable for a steel.

of course, this means months and months of long hours of practice on something new, and I still suck at the piano compared to my guitar playing... but man, I just can't get enough of those Flying Burrito Brothers recordings, and the majestic sound of the steel.

shit - someone buy my SE-1 so's I can buy a steel!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:47 am

Pedal steel is a beautiful instrument (in the right hands). If you're gonna buy one and learn know this. That instrument is all about music theory. if you don't have your theory down cold one of two things will happen. Either the instrumen will confuse you to know end or you will become a theory badass. Check out Tryin' to get paid by Backyard Tire Fire and listen to some steel I've recorded. The player's a total badass, and a killer 6-stringer as well. He's on 3-4 cuts on that record

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:04 am

I love that sound to death- although it's like garlic. it's hard to use just a little bit and it can overwhelm the whole thing because you keep adding it.

For what it's worth, i'm not really a fan, but I saw Sheryl Crow on TV and her guitarist was doing the most amazing pedal steel licks on an SG with a volume pedal. I assume he was in a pedal steel tuning, but it sounded like the real deal. What's that guy's name? he's really good.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:28 am

thanks for the tips.

I have a background in theory - but I have to admit its a bit rusty. Perhaps the steel will either bring it back or destroy me.

that player in that clip is really good.

Check this guy out - I recorded him when I lived in Vermont and he is a seriously badass steel player:

http://www.gordonstone.com/music/Upstart.mp3

tha bass player used to play in my band too - and the fiddle player is only 15! This is the only steel on his site - but I assure you the man can play. Its him on banjo as well. It was a blizzard outside when we recorded this...

anyway, I am still thinking about the steel. Maybe I can find one here in the city and check the thing out a little before I get one.
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:35 am

I've been playing the pedal steel for about two and a half years now. The Carter Starter is a good instrument to start out with. I played one for a year before I committed to buying a pro-level instrument (Carter S-10).

I'm not a theory nut. I know a enough to get by, as there are both simple and complex things you can try to play on it. For me the bigger problem was getting all of my body parts coordinated. Getting both feet (volume pedal, and instrument pedals), both hands (picks and bar), and sometimes the knees doing what they are supposed to do all at the same time took me about a year to be able to do it poorly. Its certainly not a simple instrument, but it does make pretty sounds. I'm quite glad I decided to get one.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the Steel Guitar Forum. It's a great place to get information, buy used steels, and even get your questions answered by some of the biggest names in pedal steel, like Buddy Emmons and Reece Anderson.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:55 am

Hey brooklyn,

Let me know what happens, I might want to join you for the ride. I have two lap steels now that I don't know how to play, let me know where you plan to take lessons or what ever. Have you looked on craig's list?

Lance

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:51 am

Good Call!
I formed my current band around the sound of the instrument. http://theidahofalls.com
The carter starter is a totally great beginner steel, but there are a lot of other models out there to consider.
The steel guitar forum linked to above will have loads of models for sale and most likely someone in your area that will let you come by if you post on the forum a bit and keep it humble.
I have a custom carter psg and love it, it is a very solid, very modern design. Be very cautious about buying a vintage instrument, they really didn't get the mechanics right on this instrument until the mid 80's.
The theory you'll need to learn to play background pedal steel is not quite as daunting and our beloved moderator suggests, but you really do need to know the Nashville Chord Method, I, IV, V ect and being able to transpose keys on the spot sure helps.
Good luck and feel free to IM me about PSG anytime!

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:53 am

actually, I was just planning on winging it like every other instrument I know how to play.

maybe a few lessons for technique at the start would be a good idea - I guess you can pick up some bad habits at the start.

I will introduce myself on the forums and see if I can put something together. Making the leap into yet another territory... its probably a bad idea - since I am still learning the piano and electronics - but fuck it. I'll be all in. Puhed into the deep end. Overcommited with no free time... its that damn sound! Its so good... the call must be answered.
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

nicksense15
gettin' sounds

Post by nicksense15 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:20 pm

Id love to learn pedal steel as well. The Carter Starter is like 700 bucks on musicians friend though, thats a little steep for me right now though, I may try a that cheap lap steel they have for now though.

Good luck learning that thing, I never realized there are knee pedals to deal with while playing that thing too.

Nick

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:34 pm

You can usually find them for $500 used, and if you don't do anything stupid to it, they nicely hold their resale value. But lap steels certainly can be found for cheaper.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:38 pm

Phiz wrote:You can usually find them for $500 used, and if you don't do anything stupid to it, they nicely hold their resale value. But lap steels certainly can be found for cheaper.
Yeah but lap steel is for hacks. :nonono:

Don't be a hack.

Buy a pedal steel video, sit down with it for a week, learn some licks, and try.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:59 pm

Red Rockets Glare wrote:Yeah but lap steel is for hacks. :nonono:
you're not calling Ledward Kaapana a hack are you? he and his big kanaka mullet will own you all!

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:55 pm

nicksense15 wrote:Good luck learning that thing, I never realized there are knee pedals to deal with while playing that thing too.
yeah - I am hoping its not too much harder than playing a hammond organ. Certainly, the same amount of limbs are required, just moving in different directions and shit.
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:02 am

Milkmansound wrote:actually, I was just planning on winging it like every other instrument I know how to play.

maybe a few lessons for technique at the start would be a good idea - I guess you can pick up some bad habits at the start.

I will introduce myself on the forums and see if I can put something together. Making the leap into yet another territory... its probably a bad idea - since I am still learning the piano and electronics - but fuck it. I'll be all in. Puhed into the deep end. Overcommited with no free time... its that damn sound! Its so good... the call must be answered.
hey, i bought the carter starter for the same reasons as you. i love the sound of pedal steel, wanted to see if i could pick it up. it is pretty fucking hard to play. you are welcome to stop by my place and try out my Carter. if you want lessons, call Bob Hoffnar, he kicks ass, also in brooklyn. i took one lesson from him, and learned more in an hour than i would have in a year on my own.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:47 pm

thats funny - I scheduled a lesson with him for weds earlier today!

he actually said he dislikes the starter... where are you in brooklyn? PM me I would love to check that thing out before I get one. Someone wants to sell me a used one with the hard case and accessories for $675 I might jump on that, but I want to take that lesson first.
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!