Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:10 am

Justifying ignorance and lazyness is not evolution. :idea:
Harumph!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:22 am

Hey Brian.. when's the last time that you worked on a project that lived up to YOUR "standard of excellence"? and, who was it?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:24 am

What do I destroy? All we are doing, all of us, is making more stuff. The old stuff (if well kept) stays around. I am not "destroying" anything by recording obscene reggae songs with a drum machine and a four-track for my and my friends' amusement, unless I lose the master tape afterwards perhaps. How does this threaten the hi-end output of the "pros"?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:31 am

I also think that it's fucking hillarious that you designed your own website rather than going to a pro because you didn't want a "cookie cutter"..

that's the exact same reason why DIY recording has taken off in the indie rock world.

I also noticed from the source code on your site that you used software that would code your page for you. You should have sent yourself home with a book on HTML rather than destroying the art by using eZedia to create the illusion that you have web design talent.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:34 am

Tatertot wrote:What do I destroy? All we are doing, all of us, is making more stuff. The old stuff (if well kept) stays around. I am not "destroying" anything by recording obscene reggae songs with a drum machine and a four-track for my and my friends' amusement, unless I lose the master tape afterwards perhaps. How does this threaten the hi-end output of the "pros"?
prepare for Brian's two-bit course on music business economics.
not only does he dabble outside of his area of expertise with web design. he's also the bad-singer-with-autotune version of an economist. it's cute.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:35 am

On the plus side, Brian, that's a RAD quonset hut.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:46 am

Hey Brian.. when's the last time that you worked on a project that lived up to YOUR "standard of excellence"? and, who was it?
It was a 6 song cover band demo.
I also think that it's fucking hillarious that you designed your own website rather than going to a pro because you didn't want a "cookie cutter"..
I thought that was funny too.
that's the exact same reason why DIY recording has taken off in the indie rock world.

True! No argument with that.

I also noticed from the source code on your site that you used software that would code your page for you. You should have sent yourself home with a book on HTML rather than destroying the art by using eZedia to create the illusion that you have web design talent.
I stopped hand coding HTML in the late eighties.

What do I destroy?
Probly just your own gear.
prepare for Brian's two-bit course on music business economics.

not only does he dabble outside of his area of expertise with web design. he's also the bad-singer-with-autotune version of an economist. it's cute.
Its only a one bit course.
Wouldn't you have to be an economist to make a call like that?
Most people can't hear an autotuned economist, right? I should be more important with my one bit theory and then I could accidentally wreac havoc on the economy and try to justify myself later.
:alien: where's that buck tooth emoticon?
Harumph!

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:48 am

Thanks Tater, it's alright inside too, but, the trains going by, ugh, and that 6 song demo was recorded with a funnel cloud going by, never made it to tape though, wish it had.
Harumph!

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:49 am

I think the quonset hut is one of the great american/amerindian inventions of all time. Such an elegant design.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:51 am

Too true.
Harumph!

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:55 am

Um, HTML wasn't even published as a language until 1993.

Just sayin'
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:00 am

OK, so I give you a prime example,
I used to live on a street wghere there were three studios. None of them had the expertise I had or went to school or interned or anything to further their ed.
I had picked better gear yada yada yada. The rich kid bought a slightly better board same manufacturer as mine. Then, he went to "full sail". Then he bought a lot of vintage stuff. Then,. his clients started coming my way. I said, "bring me what you did with so-and-so". It was beyond awful. Other rich guy hired me to fix a session he screwed up and said "how do you like my mic technique?" I said "what mic technique?" it was worse than the other guy's stuff. These two alone were competeing on price for a limited amount of production dollars. First Rich guy has an advert that reads "Is it the gear or the ears?" no shit. The third guy is doing many label jobs and doing fine. his rate is high. He deserves it. The other guy is outta biz.
I left that town. It was hell.
Harumph!

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:05 am

That is one prime example. Sorry, I couldn't resist the sarcasm. You seem like a nice fellow and I really like the quonset hut. I'm actually just having fun watching others try to argue with you. It beats watching Good Morning America by a wide margin.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:08 am

isn't the point that you were all COMPETING?

I'd much rather have clients because I earned them. I worked for SBC for 10 years before I quit to do this stuff. I wouldn't want someone recording with me because I was their only choice. People resent monopolies.

one of the coolest things to happen (business-wise) since I started taking clients, was being able to raise my rates and still have people choose to work with me because I deliver the results that they want.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:10 am

Brian wrote: We are suffereing from unfair ignorant competition, that doesn't mean the competition should quit, just get more familiar with quality standards so its an apples to apples comparison on the open market. Once that happens they'll see why the old guys recordings cost so much. It makes the whole community step up to quality rather than bring it down like what is happening a lot now.

I'm sure most people, beginners included don't plunk down $10k-$40k for the new gear thinking "it's all going down the toilet before I pay off the gear". They have the entepreneurial spirit and are looking to a profitable future turning out a quality product or service. Well, they can't until they learn how, and that takes admitting that you don't know how to yerself. Most don't do that, they just keep hacking.
They should be forced to watch a film about how to screw up a hard earned business and watch people qualified get caught off guard when the upstart arrives and watch him try to compete and lose everything including his house, car, kids, wife, and go homeless. Then a film about how to get a good internship with a great pro and become an icon.
I'm really not sure what to make of this. I feel like you are turning the market on its head by stating that those newly arrived to the competition (I'll use your term - hacks) should go through an initiation of accepted practices before they begin offering their services to the public, but then you make the statement about "apples to apples on the open market."

Doesn't the whole notion of an open market include the concept that entities are not "apples to apples" and that the consumer is ultimately responsible for choice? Why would any kind of learning curve for hacks be necessary if the market is open and consumers have choice?

If "pro" engineers begin losing houses, cars, spouses, and kids because of the entry of others into the market, then it's time to move on to another career because preferences have shifted in such a way that their services are no longer valued at the prices they set.