Small Diaphram Matched Pair Condesers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lickthestar
audio school

Small Diaphram Matched Pair Condesers

Post by lickthestar » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:06 pm

I've been looking at matched pairs from rode, SE and studio projects. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I don't really have a lot to spend, and I want something to record acoustic guitar and brushed snare.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:22 pm

have you considered brads mics?

www.avensonaudio.com

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:51 pm

soundguy wrote:have you considered brads mics?

www.avensonaudio.com

dave
I will second that.

Professor

Post by Professor » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:24 am

I can't say I've ever used the Avensons, but I will say that they look pretty attractive until you hit that self-noise spec which is worse than the worst Earthworks models. Don't get me wrong, I love the Earthworks and am glad to have a pair of QTC1s around, but the noise makes them difficult to use on quieter sources. Of course, you can also buy about 4 or 5 pairs of Avensons for the cost of a pair of QTCs, and that counts for something too.

On the more 'mass market' end of things, I do like audio Technicas, and would encourage a look at their AT-4041 cardioids, or their lower cost 3000-series mics. They don't sell in matched pairs (which is too bad, 'cause I do believe in buying that way) but they are probably a better build quality than at least 2 of the 3 models you mentioned. There's also the AKG Blue Line mics, or the Shure KSM mics, though I'm not sure if they offer matching either.

-Jeremy

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:08 am

I'm curious to hear what the new "entry level" DPA's are going to sound like.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:41 am

I have never been bummed out about the noise specs with my stapes omni's.
I have used the "actual" avenson ones only on drums and acoustic guitars, which I like them better than the earthworks TC30k's I have.

Depending on your budget:

KM84's are great. (not the 184).
AKG451's can be cool
Shure SM81's are cool.
Oktava MC012's are cool.
MBHO mics are really good, and i just cant think of the model number. I tried a pair for a while.. the aplifier bodies with the interchangeeable capsules... the small diaphragms were awesome, the "lollipop" large diaphragm was really good as well, but the small ones were really great. Like a "budget" schoeps....

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:14 am

I recently heard the SE3 and I was quite impressed. I just heard one but got to hear it as a acoustic mic and a single Oh. Just a couple friends and I kicking around the studio. I'd kinda like a pair of those. Its a very even/balanced sounding mic.

Professor

Post by Professor » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:55 am

I just spent a bunch of hours the last couple days with Eric "Cataldo" A. from the TOMB trimming up and trasferring the tracks from our mic shootout from a week or so ago. 21 different mics, 77 total tracks. Only four of the mics are SDCs, but they will be posted in the next day or two when I get some time and energy together to put the web pages together. I'll include brands, models, photos and mp3 clips.
The included SDCs are AT-4051, Earthworks SR-77, MBHO-603, MBHO-648, all cardioids tracked through a Grace 801r.

-Jeremy

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:21 am

how about making a pair of tape op omnis? has anyone compared them directly to the fancier stuff mentioned in this thread? i wonder how they measure up.

MD
gettin' sounds

Post by MD » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:44 am

ubertar wrote:how about making a pair of tape op omnis? has anyone compared them directly to the fancier stuff mentioned in this thread? i wonder how they measure up.
I was wondering that too, especially with the slightly more upscale "linkwitz" mod from this guy:
http://www.mp3forkidz.com/mic/mod.html

You could whip up a pair for something like $20.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:47 am

FWIW I've been a fan of the Avenson's since they were called 'Stapes' mics... I have never been disappointed by them. They are Omni pattern mics which does lead to the occassional struggle... so if you've got around a thousand to throw at the problem you might want to check out the Josephson C-42MP [Matched Pair]... if you're in the $500 range... the Avenson's kick ass!!

Best of luck with the search.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:31 pm

i like shure KSM 141 multi-patterns. i used them on acoustic guitar and snare drum for a session i did, and thought they sounded great. not sure if they do matched pairs though.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:55 pm

ubertar wrote:how about making a pair of tape op omnis? has anyone compared them directly to the fancier stuff mentioned in this thread? i wonder how they measure up.
I think the Stapes/Avenson's are based on the tape op omnis. Am I right?

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:35 pm

The mics I wouldn't ever trade or sell are my Neumann KM85s. I record a lot of acoustic guitar and I use them every time. They have a natural low-end rolloff built in to the capsule, and I can close mic the soundhole without worrying about proximity effect, and it gives a nice natural, woody sound without EQ. And, as important to me, acoustic guitar recorded with them (at least for me anyway) doesn't have that poofster newgrass acoustic guitar sound. I hate that modern bluegrass/adult contemporary folk guitar sound. I've never EQ'd a track of my early 70's Guild that was recorded with the KM85s, and it's never sounded like that new shit I hate. Just a good unhyped acoustic guitar sound.

I usually use an AKG C1000 for hi hat. I like the C1000s on cymbals. They seem to work well for hi hat and cymbals without having to be too fussy about placement. On acoustic guitar though, there's no comparison between the C1000's and the KM85's. The Neumanns kick their asses.

I paid $1000 for the pair of KM85s about 3 years ago, and with the possible exception of the old U87 I got for $1000, it's the best $1000 I've ever spent on recording gear. It was hard to part with the $1000, but the first time I ever recorded acoustic guitar with them, it was one of those "Eureka!!!!" moments.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:59 am

Flat response, good sound, but noisy. Suitable for loud sources, probably not for quiet acoustic stuff.